The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X-Pro 2 and X-T 2

darr

Re: Fun with the Fuji X-Pro 2

That's my feeling, too. Unless I become a Premiere user (and I have FinalCut X), I find Adobe CC to be unnecessarily expensive.

scott
You can get Adobe CC for Photographers (Photoshop and Lightroom) for $9.99 a month or less. They run specials periodically for ~ $85.00 a year. That is not expensive when compared to the full Adobe CC suite or what a standalone Photoshop version cost before the CC version.

Lightroom does not have a "one size fits all" approach; everything is adjustable through sliders, filters and brushes. It is Photoshop without layers, and you can go from Lightroom to Photoshop (for layers) in a round-trip workflow seamlessly. It was C1's UI and lack of DAM system that compelled me to stay with Lightroom a couple of years ago. I rely on a cataloging system with a search function that does more than keywords or dates, but also lenses (and more). I have used C1 for medium format files and went back to LR because I need cataloging software. Over break I plan on exploring the C1 book I just purchased to see if the UI has improved and if their is finally a DAM system under the hood. Heck I have put money into the upgrades without using them in the hope Phase One will update their program closer to what photographers need and not just the RAW processor which was already pretty good. Imagine shooting a Phase One digital back, but processing the files with Adobe Camera RAW -- that is what I have been doing since 2010!

Kind regards,
Darr

rdubois

X-Pro 2 and 56mm f/1.2 APD as promised.

Interesting lens and I'm slowly getting to grips with the Acros simulation. The colour from RAW, processed with C1, the B&W straight out of the camera as jpeg

DSCF1152.jpgDSCF1152_1.jpg

scott kirkpatrick

Well, someone had to do it: brick wall, X pro2, 14mm.

As brick walls go that's very vertically improvisational. Nice straight line across the top, maybe also along the bottom, and a very strange curvature of the vertical mortar segments between the bricks on the right. Is this RAF processed in LR or jpeg from the camera, and did you crop a bit?

scott

Shashin

As brick walls go that's very vertically improvisational. Nice straight line across the top, maybe also along the bottom, and a very strange curvature of the vertical mortar segments between the bricks on the right. Is this RAF processed in LR or jpeg from the camera, and did you crop a bit?

scott
Scott, thank you. The bricks are level, but since this is the unfinished end of an old building that has also had some modifications over the year, the vertical course of the bricks are not straight. I and every reviewer have found the Fuji 14mm very well corrected for curvilinear distortion.

This is an RAF file cropped straight to the 1:1 setting of the camera. I shot my X Pro 2 as either a 1:1 of 16:9 as it has become my digital substitution of my Mamiya 6 and Horseman SW612. I shoot RAW and JPEG, where the JPEG is just the reference file for the aspect ratio. I use Irident Developer for the RAF files.

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Martial Arts by streetlight

My son's naginata practice is held on a tennis court in a park, by the light of a single streetlight. This series was shot with Fuji X-Pro 2, using ISO 12800, f/2.0 at typically 1/40 sec, with the 35mm/2.0 lens. It appears that our sodium vapor lamps pulse at about 150 HZ:

DSCF2769 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF2863 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF2844 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

DSCF2903 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Developed in C1, with as-shot color balance and moderate use of the shadow slider.

scott

Last edited:

JSRockit

All made with the X-Pro2 or X-T2 (posted from Facebook so forgive the quality)

Man Pushing A Garbage Can Past Uniqlo - Fifth Avenue

Subway Station Newsstand - Greenwich Village

Man with Briefcase by MoMA - Midtown

Manhattan Skyline from Brooklyn

Midtown

Midtown

Woodside, Queens

Williamsburg, Brooklyn

Information Desk - Empire State Building

Manhattan from Empire State Building

59th Street and 2nd Avenue

Barber Shop - East Village

Williamsburg - Brooklyn

Chinatown

West Village

Financial District

Financial District

57 Street

Shashin

It is snowing today in Maine. I took a walk around my forest. The landscape is just flat and brittle.

Shashin

A murder of crows. This mass roosting happens each December where I work. It is quite a sight.

X Pro2 and 23mm, F/2

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Re: First trip with XP2

Just returned from a long trip which included New Zealand, Seattle and Las Vegas. For the first time, just with the X-Pro 2, 35mm/f1.4, 14mm/f2.8, 56mm/f1.2

Delightfully light, easy to use and so unobtrusive compared to my more usual D810. I particularly liked the 35mm and 56mm.

For those more interested, http://dubois.photodeck.com/-/galleries/new-zealand-november-2016 but here some examples:
You are so right, light, easy to use and unobtrusive compared to ANY Nikon FF (or Canon same thing). Plus the 24MP files are much easier to handle and more than enough (at least for me) than the 36MP files of the Nikon.

Great results :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

rdubois

Re: First trip with XP2

You are so right, light, easy to use and unobtrusive compared to ANY Nikon FF (or Canon same thing). Plus the 24MP files are much easier to handle and more than enough (at least for me) than the 36MP files of the Nikon.

Great results :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Thank you! I've set up for simultaneous raw and jpeg on the Acros standard setting. The jpegs are very good and aside from a quick edit in PS for resize, adding borders and output sharpening nothing else needs to be touched.

The sensor resolution is, for me, quite sufficient and so far I haven't missed the pixels even when cropping heavily but then I mainly print to 7" wide so that would rarely be an issue for me anyway.

Focusing is accurate and easy, even on the 56 f/1.2 only occasionally missing at close distances because of parallax but the joystick works very well. It is only really a problem with fast moving objects less than 2 or 3 metres away. I suppose I could use the EVF but they've never been my cup of tea.

I'm struggling a bit with the auto white balance and I think it is more often off than on but this might be because of the very high contrast as experienced in the New Zealand early summer. I need to experiment more with this. Straight out of C1, the colours are about right as far as saturation but a little cool, particularly the blues.

For the moment I'm keeping the Nikon but if the first few 100 frames are the way of things and I can crack the WB then likely I'll migrate also for the longer lenses but possibly then with an XT-2 as a second body and I guess I'll have to learn how to get on with an EVF