The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X-Pro 2 and X-T 2

rdubois

10 seconds with LR.

I hate Adobe as much as the next man, and would love it if C1 supported my camera, but at least give LR a chance..

--Matt
Hi Matt

You are right of course and I know I'm pretty inept with LR and it was certainly not the intention of my post to criticise it. It is the industry standard and used by many; and extremely effectively. Nonetheless C1 seems to work better or maybe more intuitively for me and using the RAW capabilities of Iridient on X-Trans files seems to be and interesting and possibly a worthwhile additional extra step.

I am under the impression that Iridient has been developed more specifically with LR in mind and I wanted to show that it seems also to work with C1 and in my opinion gives better results. Your 10 seconds with LR, while improving my original LR rendition still shows quite a colour difference especially in the shadows. It lacks in my view the tonality and richness of the C1 version.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Matt

You are right of course and I know I'm pretty inept with LR and it was certainly not the intention of my post to criticise it. It is the industry standard and used by many; and extremely effectively. Nonetheless C1 seems to work better or maybe more intuitively for me and using the RAW capabilities of Iridient on X-Trans files seems to be and interesting and possibly a worthwhile additional extra step.

I am under the impression that Iridient has been developed more specifically with LR in mind and I wanted to show that it seems also to work with C1 and in my opinion gives better results. Your 10 seconds with LR, while improving my original LR rendition still shows quite a colour difference especially in the shadows. It lacks in my view the tonality and richness of the C1 version.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!
I much prefer the color and workflow of C1. If it were a choice, I'd go C1 every time. I only use LR because of Phase One's peculiar position on camera support, i.e., not mine. I just wanted the comparison to be based on decent efforts with both converters and not on, essentially, a typo.

No criticism of your workflow or choices is intended. As I said, I agree with you completely! Of course, I was working from your LR jpeg, and I don't know what LR could do with the RAW, but I was just seeing what could be done.

Best,

Matt

Grayhand

Thy Nature Reserve

X-Pro 2, 10-24

First full day here in Denmark,
Drove north up towards Hanstholm, where I was at first welcomed with horizontal snow and then a short fanfare with hail.
But all cleared up for the sunset which gave a reflection of the clear blue sky in hail / snow

And let's blame TClair for my choice of a birch tree in the snow :thumbup:

Ray

Grayhand

Re: Kittypix

DSCF3478 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Godfrey suggested a phrase that I like for this look: "manic kitty eyes."ll

scott
It took me a while, but then I finally remember where I have seen this kind of "manic kitty" before:

Fat Freddy's Cat!

You maybe got a great great grandchild?

Ray

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Kittypix

It took me a while, but then I finally remember where I have seen this kind of "manic kitty" before:

Fat Freddy's Cat!

You maybe got a great great grandchild?

Ray
That's quite possible. Fat Freddy's Cat was smarter than all the Furry Freak Brothers. Tai followed that legacy by her arrival -- she fell asleep in the warm engine compartment of a car in Rehovot and decided to stay in Jerusalem once the car's owner reached her workplace. That was at the age of a month or so. Now grown, she wakes me up at 6 am quite reliably for her breakfast and to start the day.

scott

Shashin

Hmm. How many stops below a daylight exposure did you need for this? If the XP2-XT2 chip especially sensitive in the IR?

scott
Scott, the specs for that exposure: 30 sec., f/8, ISO 400, +2.0 EV. With IR, it is good to overexpose from the meter to get more tonal information, at least in the conditions I have been shooting in. The images out of the camera are flat. This was mid day. (I guess if you did not want the extra exposure, you could shoot handheld at 1/30s, f/2.0, and ISO 6,400.) The B+W IR is strong, so a filter that lets in wavelengths under 830nm will lower the exposure times too. I don't think it is particularly sensitive to IR--my Pentax 645D, Sony RX-1, and Olympus EP-1 had similar exposures, but the images are cleaner in the X Pro2.

I white balance in the RAW converter to get the two tones--just click on a tree or object with the WB sample dropper. In this image, I used the hue slider to get the sky blue--it is red out of the RAW converter. If you look at the image at the top of the tread, you can see a reddish patch on the left in the background, that is the sky color right after WB.

Last edited:

Shashin

We have had so much freezing rain, our snow pack has become a block of ice. I needed crampons to walk around the garden this weekend. These are our blackberry canes. Very different from the summer:

jsf

_DSF7449 RMH LOS ANGELES.jpg

single capture, Los Angeles Fuji XT-1 100-400 mm

What looks like noise is the surface which the reflections are bouncing off of, the surface is polished granite.

algrove

Being new to Fuji and the XT2, I purchased Rico's XT2 book. On page 83 he mentions something interesting (among many other comments/recommendations in the book) in order to get the live view and live histogram jpegs looking like RAW files. Mainly setting H/L tone to -2 and shadow tone to -2 also. I addition he recommends setting film simulation to Pro Neg Std which results in jpegs with less contrast.

Anyone else regularly tried this approach? I would like to hear your comments. TIA.

Last edited: