The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Fuji X-Pro 2 and X-T 2

Shashin

2017 eclipse image. A tree's canopy creates tiny pinhole that project the sun's image. Usually, the sun has an unobscured disk and we see round patches of light. But during a partial eclipse, the crescent of the obscured sun is projected.

It certainly makes the sidewalks pretty.

Mark C

Here is a shot I'll post just to show the high ISO performance of the X-Pro2. I needed sufficient DoF to capture the scene (f/5.6) and sufficiently fast to avoid blur (1/500 sec). Taken using the XF 16mm lens that combination needed ISO 12,800. I've slightly processed the image but I haven't applied any NR. I don't find the grain intrusive to the result but I'd be interested to hear what others think?

The underpass by Mark, on Flickr

Shashin

Exploring my new neighborhood. What is kind of fun is while these images were taken miles apart on the same day, the cloud almost line up across the frames.

Shashin

Here is a shot I'll post just to show the high ISO performance of the X-Pro2. I needed sufficient DoF to capture the scene (f/5.6) and sufficiently fast to avoid blur (1/500 sec). Taken using the XF 16mm lens that combination needed ISO 12,800. I've slightly processed the image but I haven't applied any NR. I don't find the grain intrusive to the result but I'd be interested to hear what others think?
The noise is very much like overdeveloped TriX printed on high contrast paper. There is no right or wrong answer here. It is simply whether this is effective or not effective for what you are trying to elicit in the viewer--and it doesn't matter if the viewer likes noise or not.

Mark, what are you using to process your images? I use Irident Developer. What I have found is, with the default settings, ID has very aggressive sharpening. This becomes more noticeable at higher ISOs. You may want to see what sharpening is being applied and play with the settings. It does not eliminate the noise, but it does help control whether the noise looks like film grain or sand, if you know what I mean (the pavement behind the man in the foreground looks like sand, other brighter areas look more like grain).

Mark C

The noise is very much like overdeveloped TriX printed on high contrast paper. There is no right or wrong answer here. It is simply whether this is effective or not effective for what you are trying to elicit in the viewer--and it doesn't matter if the viewer likes noise or not.

Mark, what are you using to process your images? I use Irident Developer. What I have found is, with the default settings, ID has very aggressive sharpening. This becomes more noticeable at higher ISOs. You may want to see what sharpening is being applied and play with the settings. It does not eliminate the noise, but it does help control whether the noise looks like film grain or sand, if you know what I mean (the pavement behind the man in the foreground looks like sand, other brighter areas look more like grain).
Hi Will,

Thanks for that. Just wanted to get a bit of feedback really, I like the result, I think a lot of photographers get too hung up on trying to eradicate all noise from images. For me, especially with B&W, some fine grain can enhance the image rather than detract from it.

You're right about the aggressive sharpening SOOC. I haven't done much with this shot but recently I've started using Silkypix to reduce or remove the inbuilt sharpening and contrast which the camera applies. This gives me a better starting point to begin with LR and/ or PS and usually my last step is to consider selective sharpening. What I save to print is what I want to get right, I host images on Flickr to post on here, Flickr adds some sharpening which can overdo the result when viewed on a forum. I probably ought to take that into account when posting images.

I haven't tried Irident but I'm always willing to look at new options so I'll have a look when I get the chance, thanks.

Grayhand

What noise?

I still have about 150 Shanghai iso100, 120 B/W format rolls in my freezer.
Developed in R09, stand or short, that will give ye noise!
B/W and noise goes hand in hand from my point of wiev.

If you have not raised the question, I would not have reflected about any noise in your picture.
Just to emphasise what Will said.

Ray

Grayhand

Nørre Vorupør, Denmark

X-Pro 2, 10-24

Back in Denmark for one week around Thy Nature Reserve!

Nice!

Ray

Mark C

What noise?

I still have about 150 Shanghai iso100, 120 format rolls in my freezer.
Developed in R09, stand or short, that will give ye noise!
B/W and noise goes hand in hand from my point of wiev.

If you have not raised the question, I would not have reflected about any noise in your picture.
Just to emphasise what Will said.

Ray
Thanks Ray, I think it's mostly those who started in digital and never used film who are overly concerned with noise. Seems there are plenty of old school photographers on here which is no bad thing at all :)

rayyan

friends, :salute:

I am hungry, she said.
Good, pick up a couple of cheese sandwiches for me too.

Things went downhill after that.

You want me to get you food?..her
Yes, please..me

You know the weather outside? Do you have any idea what you are saying?..obviously, had to be her.
Yes. I told you that it wasn't an intelligent decision to come here in winter...me.

What did you say? What did you just say!!? ..shouting. I stopped shouting after my CABG.

Rayyan, you have just about enough intelligence to open your mouth when you want to eat, but obviously no more. Not only unintelligent, indecisive, and stupid, but rude!!..wow!

I sat up in our bed. Looked at her, and smiled. She hates that. I thought of George Carlin! And said sheepishly..hon, never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. Wished I had my friends here....

Iceland​

Grayhand

Ray, I guess you are also aware of Fegge Klit and so.. (the Kirsten Klein area :) )
Best Thorkil
Thanks Thorkil for reminding me!
I drove past there maybe 20 years ago.
Dont know why I have forgotten this?

But I will go there before going home!!

Ray