The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens surprises and a place surprise

greypilgrim

I had the opportunity recently to visit a local park I had never been to before, and what a pleasant surprise it was. With the rain we have had in the bay area recently, the water was flowing very nicely. The park is Uvas Canyon County Park for those who are in the area.

The lens surprises were the choices I ended up making without even thinking about it. The 35 f2 and the 60. I am really surprised how much I enjoyed using both over other lenses. It was my first outing with the 35 f2 (I've had the 35 f1.4 for quite a while, but I got the f2 for weather resistance). And, I have not shot with the 60 much beyond closeup shots before.

They make a nice lightweight combo for hiking, and I will be trying them again in the near future. Definitely preferred over the 35 f1.4 and 56 for that. Makes me quite interested in the rumored 23mm f2. I really wish they also did a 16 f2.8 for size purposes. I tried the 16 f1.4, but the size put me off.

Anyway, some thoughts and images from the hike.

Enjoy

bensonga

Hi Doug. For some reason, I'm unable to see your photos in either of my browsers (Chrome and IE11) on a WinPC, but I can see them on my iPad in Safari. Beautiful images. The 35mm f2 lens has become my favorite, especially on my X-Pro1. I haven't used my 60mm macro for awhile, so might have to dig it out again.

Gary

greypilgrim

Hi Doug. For some reason, I'm unable to see your photos in either of my browsers (Chrome and IE11) on a WinPC, but I can see them on my iPad in Safari. Beautiful images. The 35mm f2 lens has become my favorite, especially on my X-Pro1. I haven't used my 60mm macro for awhile, so might have to dig it out again.

Gary
Hi Gary,
It's possible that it is because it's one of the new domains... Not a .com or .org or...

The photos are at www.castleintheair.photos. I've checked it in Safari and Firefox (most recent). I don't have Chrome installed, but maybe you've got an older version? Also, I am on a Mac, and it sounds like you are on Windows, so possibly a difference there.

Just guessing.

I have to agree about the 35f2. Even though I have and like the 35f1.4, I really like the feel of the lens. The 60 surprised me the other day which was part of the reason for the post. The two together made a nice pair. I would really like a smaller 16mm (f2 or f2.8). I rented the 16f1.4; sweet lens, but bigger and bulkier than I want.

Doug

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ Doug:

The CV 12/5.6 on an adapter: I have one coming for the X-E2 and will comment here when it arrives and I have shot with it. MF, but with this DOF, who cares?

greypilgrim

@ Doug:

The CV 12/5.6 on an adapter: I have one coming for the X-E2 and will comment here when it arrives and I have shot with it. MF, but with this DOF, who cares?
Hi Kit,
I've got the 14; the 12 would be intriguing; that would be a nice small package, but I really wish they had a 16 f2 or f2.8. I really enjoy shooting the 24mm equivalent range.

Doug

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Doug, I like 24mm too (the 12/2 in µ4/3rds is excellent); I just happened to have the 12/5.6 here; it's an excellent copy, and adapters are cheap these days.