The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Switching from AF (S) to MF (M) using the front selector switch on X-Pro2

Paul2660

I find that for pano work, it's sometimes best to move the lens off of AF mode once I have the correct focus. Mainly because in AF mode as you pan you may hit a patch of sky or an area in the background that the camera for some reason cannot lock on with AF. This is more important with hand held panos not those taken with a nodal bar/tripod etc.

With Nikon, Canon etc. it's simple enough to set the lens to AF, hit your focus, then switch the lens back to MF and complete the series.

Since I have been using the X series, manly X-T1 and now X-Pro2, my technique has been to use the S,C,M dial on the lower front right of the camera. Using AF to again find my distance, then dialing the camera to M. I have realize that with the X-Pro2, when you do this, the camera loses the correct focus and blurs just a bit. I had never realized that this happened with my X-T1, and went back and tried it, and yes it will do it also, but seemingly not as a dramatic a shift. But it does explain some series I have taken where I noted a bit of softness.

I have tried all the settings on the X-Pro2, under AF, and then tried holding the AF down 1/2 way and moving to MF, but really nothing will allow this. I guess this is due to the AF design of the lenses. On a tripod, it's easy enough to just move the AF point to where it will register something, but hand holding, I just prefer to hit the AF the first time and go from there.

AF is very accurate, but just can't find anyway to switch to MF mode once I have that setting and not have the camera lose the sharp focus.

Has anyone figured a technique around this?

Thanks
Paul C

Paul2660

Simple Fix:

Move to M mode first then hit AF-L and release, then focus is set. Should have caught this long before, but just missed it. Same on the X-T1 as far as I can tell.

Paul C

Paul2660

Further info.

After testing: 16-55, 18-55, and 50-40, on the X-Pro2, I am not sure that the AF-L button works 100%.

My testing was to take a shot on AF, then turn from S to M, and then hit the AF-L button. You get focus confirmation (beep), but when you review between the 2 images, AF and M, the M is just slightly softer. Is it enough to matter, yes, if you are going to print large.

Not sure of anything else that will work, expect to move the AF point, which with the joystick is easy enough.

Paul C