The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

my impressions about the Fujifilm X-PRO2

rayyan

I have had the xpro-2 for a few weeks. Along with 2 new lenses, I got...90 and 16-55.

Here are my impressions of the system; not the cam or lenses. Does this combo
Suit me? Unfortunately, no.

I find the system heavy for a mirrorless. ( strangely on the xt-1 ) I am more than satisfied.

The xpro-2. No complaints about what I use cam for. I however prefer the handling, size and balance of the xt-1 more suited to me. The AF and the speed and functionality of the xpro-2 is more than wonderful for me.

I know, or should know, that optics..good optics have a price...in weight and size; and price. However the system combo of xpro-2 and these 2 lenses, while super in terms of performance; would not be the one for me to take on a trip.

The xt-1 and xt-2 ( hopefully ) would be more suited for me.

The 35/1.4 and the xpro-2 just seems so natural for me.

The 16-55/2.8 I shall return. The 90/2 shall be kept for specialized use. The optics
Are just stunning.

Just my thoughts, and my personal pov. To each their own.

JPL

I can only confirm this, with slight variations though.

The X-Pro2 itself is a wonderful picture machine - even more so with a lens like the 35 2.0 or the 18 2.0.
Lenses like the 16-55 or 90, or even the 23 1.4 are too big to my liking.

The X-T1 was for me a bit too small, the rubberized surface a bit too sticky.

Being currently again traveling a bit, I use either the X-Pro2 with the 35 or Olympus - their lenses are just that bit smaller :-O

All the best

JPH

David Schneider

I used the XPro2 and XE2 side by side on three week trip to Middle East and to Paris. I've used both cameras in my studio and compared them to my Canon 5Dmk3.

The thing I really hate about the XPro2 is the ISO dial. It stinks. There is no way to use dedicate an Fn button to manual ISO adjustments (and no way on the Q Menu either) so you have to use that ISO dial or one of the Auto ISO settings, which do work well for most situations though I prefer to set ISO myself much of the time. I find using the dial to be much, much slower than the Fn button on the XE2 (and on the XE1). You must put the camera to your eye to manually adjust the manual ISO whereas you don't with the XE2. And too many times I find I change the shutter speed accidentally while changing the ISO manually. No idea why they didn't come up with a way to use the ISO Dial, but be able to turn it to a setting to disengage it so you could use an Fn button.

While the size doesn't make much difference on my camera stand, when doing travel photography the larger size of the XPro2 is quite unwelcome. Yes, it is much smaller than my 5Dmk3, but still noticeably larger than the XE2. I find I don't really use the hybrid viewfinder that much, plus I miss the handy pop-up flash as it's great for quick fill or to use to trip a slave flash.

The new sensor seems to give you pretty close to a full stop less noise than the old sensor. It looks like the noise is the same at ISO4000 as it is on the XE2 at ISO 2000. Files are larger and that's just fine. Fuji lenses seem to have been designed with the new sensor in mind anyway.

The new sensor seems to give a bit better color rendition than the XE2, but I still think the best colors came from the Fuji XE1. There's some magic there in the XE1 I haven't seen from the later X-Series cameras yet. For studio work, there's nothing really I can't do with my XPro2 and no longer feel I need to keep using the 5Dmk3 and probably wouldn't except my retoucher/salesperson/studio manager likes her Canon workflow.

As someone who earns a living with my cameras, I love dual card slots. It's not the cards failing I worry about, but human error and my own stupidity at times. Dual cards have save me from embarrassment with clients and time recovering images a few times before so I appreciate the two slots. I leave a large card (like 256gb) in Slot 2 and don't take it out until full and then store it away for some time just in case. Smaller cards go in Slot 1. This is the same as I do with the 5Dmk3.

Other may disagree, but I find the XE2 a lot more fun to shoot with than the XPro2. Maybe it's the smaller size. The XE1 (stolen) and the XE2 are the only cameras I've had in decades that make me smile when I pick them up.

I can't live without a tilting screen, especially if it makes the camera body larger or is prone to getting damaged, something I don't want if I'm traveling for a few weeks.

If Fuji puts that same senor into the XE3, assuming there will be an XE3, and can squeeze in dual card slots (or even if they make the XE3 a tiny bit wider to handle the slots), leave my Fn button options, add the improved Auto ISO as an option, keep that pop-up flash and add the slightly better/faster focusing of the XT2 I would pre-order it in a minute and put the XPro2 up for sale.

JPL

Hi again
As I am travel g as well since two weeks - more to come :) - I just want to step in again regarding the ISO dial.

Well... from my point of view it is a total "none issue". Why? very simple, I use mostly the 14, 18, 35 and 90 and have set my tolerance level for the lowest shutter speed at 1/125th of a second - the rest is done by Auto-Iso. I have with the X-Pro2 a body that is dealing very well with plenty of things - so I delegate. So far it works very well!

Regarding the size... well.... I have an X-T1 with me as well and even took my Pen-F with me. After two weeks I use exclusively the X-Pro 2. Why?
Well... the size, it is a serious instrument, the others are too much toy like (my subjective option)
The IQ
The speed it allows shooting in the streets
The finder
And... very important the the focuspoint stick on the back - that is just "the" feature I will never miss again.

In any case, I think any Fuji is on an excellent level - in the end it comes to personal preferences - and these are certainly subjective.

All the best
JPH

Paul2660

The joystick, is such a great design I totally agree. The stick allows you to move the focus point without ever having to move your eye from the EVF. I also greatly prefer the play button on the right side (unlike the X-T1), as you can do pretty much everything needed with the camera at eye level.

Well thought out camera indeed.

Paul C

Rayto

Good commentary, thanks. I'm on the fence with the xp2. A lot going for it. But it's not cheap, pretty much lens dependent to get the unique benefits it offers. And, that damn ISO dial. I had an xt1 with one of those dials. Difficult to turn, requires hand movement, inefficient. The little top panel function button on my xp1 and xe2 do the job with simplicity and efficiency.

So for now, I will wait to see where Fuji goes with the XE series.

Rand47

The thing I really hate about the XPro2 is the ISO dial.
Hi,

Not a fix for the dial, but a work-around for 4 favoite ISO settings re quick access with minimum touching the dial - only A and base ISO 200. Or, three ISO selections w/o touching the dail at all.

Set ISO dial to say, 200 base ISO
Set Auto ISO 1 with max and min ISO at 800
Set Auto ISO 2 with max and min ISO at 1600
Set Auto ISO 3 with max and min ISO at 3200

(Or whatever your 4 most used ISO settings might be... - OR omit the base ISO setting and leave on A and just have three "same min/max" auto ISO settings.)

Set Auto ISO access to one of the fn buttons.

Done.

Rand

David Schneider

Hi,

Not a fix for the dial, but a work-around

Rand
Rand,

Yes, those work-arounds work reasonably well outdoors.

I had to photograph a big (as in 800 people) awards dinner for a magazine and took my XPro2 and XE2. I had to keep adjusting ISO for crowd with just ambient/room light, speakers with video lights and spots on them, flash when I needed. It was a true ordeal with the XPro2 and a piece of cake for the XE2. With the XE2 I could change ISO with one hand without looking. With the XPRO2, it took two hands and sometimes screwed up the shutter speed.

Should there be an XE3 and it keeps that handy pop-up flash, has dual sd card slots and the new sensor, I'll sell the XPro2 as soon as the XE3 is available. Files from XPro2 are excellent and color is almost as good as the old XE1, but I rather have manual ISO than the hybrid viewfinder. Not one review mentioned the lack of manual ISO adjustment without using that ISO dial before I purchased the XPro2.

Rand47

Rand,

Yes, those work-arounds work reasonably well outdoors.

I had to photograph a big (as in 800 people) awards dinner for a magazine and took my XPro2 and XE2. I had to keep adjusting ISO for crowd with just ambient/room light, speakers with video lights and spots on them, flash when I needed. It was a true ordeal with the XPro2 and a piece of cake for the XE2. With the XE2 I could change ISO with one hand without looking. With the XPRO2, it took two hands and sometimes screwed up the shutter speed.

Should there be an XE3 and it keeps that handy pop-up flash, has dual sd card slots and the new sensor, I'll sell the XPro2 as soon as the XE3 is available. Files from XPro2 are excellent and color is almost as good as the old XE1, but I rather have manual ISO than the hybrid viewfinder. Not one review mentioned the lack of manual ISO adjustment without using that ISO dial before I purchased the XPro2.
David,

Now that I've been testing the X-Pro2 for a few days and evaluating the files, I don't think I'd be afraid to just set auto ISO up to 6400 and let it rip. All very usable, assuming no underexposure.

Rand

darr

The thing I really hate about the XPro2 is the ISO dial.
I set the Auto ISO settings with the minimum shutter speed in mind:

Auto 1 = Default 200, Max 12800, Min Shutter Speed 1/60 -- stills, landscapes
Auto 2 = Default 200, Max 12800, Min Shutter Speed 1/160 -- portraits, street shooting
Auto 3 = Default 200, Max 12800, Min Shutter Speed 1/500 -- action shots

(When using OIS lenses, even slower shutter speeds can be used.)

My mindset is on "What is the minimum shutter speed I need?" I do not touch the ISO dial unless I want to shoot at base 200.
I set 'A' on the ISO dial and press the Fn 4 Button to change the Auto ISO selection when necessary.
Here is a simple reference for assigning the Fn buttons: Assigning Roles to the Function Buttons

I found shooting at a high ISO is not a problem with this sensor. :)
Here is a recent example shot at ISO 3200:

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Darr

Last edited:

Paul2660

After using the X-Pro2 now for a little over 2 months, I found the following.

1. The ISO dial after you get used to it is not a bit problem for me.
2. The lack of a tilting LCD, is a big deal for me. At my age, the ability to bend down for certain perspectives just doesn't happen as easily as it did 20 or so years ago.
3. The new shutter is amazing, period
4. High ISO, is better, but still not that impressed much past 2000
5. Color, WB etc, seem way off to me on between the EVF and LCD, finally have gotten used to trusting the WB shown on the LCD as my EVF just shows way too much blue/green
6. Love the new bracketing features
7. Love the fact that the play button is on the right side (sure wish this had been added to the X-T2) as you can do everything with one hand during playback/review
8. Battery life, is not good, poor, and intelligence behind the batteries is very inaccurate at least on my camera, as mine will power off with 1/3 still showing on the camera LCD
9. No ability to add a grip for an extra battery, pushes me towards the X-T2
10. Look feel is very nice, well built camera, love the Weather resistance design
11. Bracketing with AF on, always seems to give me 1 of three images slight out of focus, thus have to move to MF mode
12. Instant AF (when in M mode) is not accurate and tend to miss focus forcing me to move to manual focus through the EVF or LCD if outdoor lighting allows (have brought this issue up with Fuji, no real positive response may just be my camera as same feature on X-T1 works)
13. AF to MF switch is fly by wire thus if you move from AF (with good focus) to MF, the lens will always drop out of focus, (thus the need for instant AF), true on all lenses with out a AF/MF switch on lens to my findings. So for a lot of field work, this causes a problem
14. If you have a good focus solution, and turn the camera off, when powered back up, focus is lost (unless you have a manual focus only lens like the Samyang 12mm) even lenses with the AF/MF switch seem to loose just a bit of focus accuracy. Big deal for me for night work,
or late evening work as camera will always have a bit of difficulty focusing in lower light. For Astro work, my process is to focus with good light, and turn off the camera (can't do this with any Fuji due to fly by wire AF) unless lens is totally manual
15 LR seems to have gotten a bit better on raw conversion (image dependent) but still could be better C1 is excellent but still has no lens profiles (WAY TO LONG FOR THIS TO BE ADDED)

More than likely I will sell the X-Pro2 once the X-T2 starts to ship as that camera fits my style of shooting, but it has been an excellent tool up to this point.

Paul C

ptomsu

Workshop Member

1. The ISO dial after you get used to it is not a bit problem for me.
2. The lack of a tilting LCD, is a big deal for me. At my age, the ability to bend down for certain perspectives just doesn't happen as easily as it did 20 or so years ago.
3. The new shutter is amazing, period
4. High ISO, is better, but still not that impressed much past 2000
5. Color, WB etc, seem way off to me on between the EVF and LCD, finally have gotten used to trusting the WB shown on the LCD as my EVF just shows way too much blue/green
6. Love the new bracketing features
7. Love the fact that the play button is on the right side (sure wish this had been added to the X-T2) as you can do everything with one hand during playback/review
8. Battery life, is not good, poor, and intelligence behind the batteries is very inaccurate at least on my camera, as mine will power off with 1/3 still showing on the camera LCD
9. No ability to add a grip for an extra battery, pushes me towards the X-T2
10. Look feel is very nice, well built camera, love the Weather resistance design
11. Bracketing with AF on, always seems to give me 1 of three images slight out of focus, thus have to move to MF mode
12. Instant AF (when in M mode) is not accurate and tend to miss focus forcing me to move to manual focus through the EVF or LCD if outdoor lighting allows (have brought this issue up with Fuji, no real positive response may just be my camera as same feature on X-T1 works)
13. AF to MF switch is fly by wire thus if you move from AF (with good focus) to MF, the lens will always drop out of focus, (thus the need for instant AF), true on all lenses with out a AF/MF switch on lens to my findings. So for a lot of field work, this causes a problem
14. If you have a good focus solution, and turn the camera off, when powered back up, focus is lost (unless you have a manual focus only lens like the Samyang 12mm) even lenses with the AF/MF switch seem to loose just a bit of focus accuracy. Big deal for me for night work,
or late evening work as camera will always have a bit of difficulty focusing in lower light. For Astro work, my process is to focus with good light, and turn off the camera (can't do this with any Fuji due to fly by wire AF) unless lens is totally manual
15 LR seems to have gotten a bit better on raw conversion (image dependent) but still could be better C1 is excellent but still has no lens profiles (WAY TO LONG FOR THIS TO BE ADDED)

More than likely I will sell the X-Pro2 once the X-T2 starts to ship as that camera fits my style of shooting, but it has been an excellent tool up to this point.

Paul C
While I share most of your points, I completely disagree WRT high ISO usability. This is one of the best cameras out there today, especially in APSC sensor format - period!

scott kirkpatrick

Paul C
COne release 9.2.1 picks up the manufacturer's profile for distortion correction on the 35/2.0, which really needed it. I discovered that by accident today while processing vacation snaps taken with the 35. I also have the 23/1.4 and the 56/1.2 which don't need any obvious corrections, but will see if there is evidence for COne looking for parameters with those as well. If someone who has other lenses needing correction would check, it would be nice to know if all Fuji XF lenses are now covered. Note: you only see the corrections being applied when you are in crop mode.

I complained to Phase about the awful things that can happen with the 35, and this seems to be a quick and dirty response. The profile says it is for the X100T, although I am using an X Pro2.

scott

David Schneider

Manually adjusting ISO is a two handed operation with the XPro2; one to hold the camera and one to reach over and pull the ISO wheel. With the XE1/XE2 you can manually change ISO with just your right hand. The Auto ISO options on the XPro2 are very good, but some of us like to manually focus, manually set exposure, manually set ISO or any combination of those things. It is harder to manually set ISO with the XPro2 than XE2.

I've found the higher ISO settings to be about one stop better than the XE2. High ISO settings have been excellent since the XPro1/XE1 and are just getting better.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Manually adjusting ISO is a two handed operation with the XPro2; one to hold the camera and one to reach over and pull the ISO wheel. With the XE1/XE2 you can manually change ISO with just your right hand. The Auto ISO options on the XPro2 are very good, but some of us like to manually focus, manually set exposure, manually set ISO or any combination of those things. It is harder to manually set ISO with the XPro2 than XE2.

I've found the higher ISO settings to be about one stop better than the XE2. High ISO settings have been excellent since the XPro1/XE1 and are just getting better.
In some other photographic times ISO setting were usually done that way on most cameras.

I do not get the constant complaints about this great implementation on the XPro2.

And on top of that why choose this camera if there are so many bad things about it and so many other and better choices :banghead:

Rand47

This may be obvious to others, but I've learned to not look into the little window on the ISO knob to see what I'm setting. I look on the LCD or OVF/EVF where ISO is displayed. This is very much easier for me.

Rand

David Schneider

In some other photographic times ISO setting were usually done that way on most cameras.

I do not get the constant complaints about this great implementation on the XPro2.

And on top of that why choose this camera if there are so many bad things about it and so many other and better choices :banghead:
These aren't "other photographic times." With the "ancient" XE1 and the XE2 you can manually adjust iso one handed, without looking. One generally sees a camera maker add features to a new model, not take away perfectly good features.

There is no perfect camera so one can always find some fault with any camera, don't you agree? Those faults don't necessarily make it a bad choice of cameras.

The dual slot is important to me as I was testing the XPro2 as my full time camera in my studio. Dual slots are a must for me in my studio. Also needed to test whether cramming more pixels into the same size sensor was positive. I've felt the color out of the XE1 was slightly superior to the XE2 so needed to see first hand (not reviews) if the new sensor was an improvement. Again, I don't like to rely on reviews. Any increase in auto focusing ability is welcomed in the entire X series so wanted to see that too.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
These aren't "other photographic times." With the "ancient" XE1 and the XE2 you can manually adjust iso one handed, without looking. One generally sees a camera maker add features to a new model, not take away perfectly good features.

There is no perfect camera so one can always find some fault with any camera, don't you agree? Those faults don't necessarily make it a bad choice of cameras.

The dual slot is important to me as I was testing the XPro2 as my full time camera in my studio. Dual slots are a must for me in my studio. Also needed to test whether cramming more pixels into the same size sensor was positive. I've felt the color out of the XE1 was slightly superior to the XE2 so needed to see first hand (not reviews) if the new sensor was an improvement. Again, I don't like to rely on reviews. Any increase in auto focusing ability is welcomed in the entire X series so wanted to see that too.
David,

with all the features you tested, would you say finally that the XPro2 is a capable camera for you? Does it fulfill your requirements?

And if this is the case, what would you think about the XT2 (same sensor and even improved AF) but different ergonomics and definitely better EVF.

Thanks for your feedback

Peter

David Schneider

David,

with all the features you tested, would you say finally that the XPro2 is a capable camera for you? Does it fulfill your requirements?

And if this is the case, what would you think about the XT2 (same sensor and even improved AF) but different ergonomics and definitely better EVF.

Thanks for your feedback

Peter
The XPro2 is certainly a capable camera. It's the back-up camera in my studio to the Canon 5Dmk3. If the Canon goes down, I have no worries using the XPro2 (or the XE2 for that matter). I think the color from the XPro2 is just about as good as that of the XE1, which is a bit better than the XE2.

My bitch is Fuji removed a couple of very good, simple ways of setting ISO manually that were in previous cameras. Yes, the Auto ISO functions are really very good. But it's not the same. That said, I need to spend more time using the "misomatic" Auto-ISO to give me reasonable manual control. Another work-around.

I will have to see the XT2 when it comes out. The inclusion of dual cards is important to me. I like the form factor of the XE2 more than the XT1/2 bodies.

Again, if Fuji can squeeze dual card slots into the XE3, keep the pop-up flash, add the new or newer sensor and not add more than a tiny bit to the size of the camera, they have a real winner. (Tilting lcd would be nice too, but I can live without it.) I've found I don't use the hybrid viewfinder of the XPro2 that much so wouldn't miss it.