The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

my impressions about the Fujifilm X-PRO2

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The XPro2 is certainly a capable camera. It's the back-up camera in my studio to the Canon 5Dmk3. If the Canon goes down, I have no worries using the XPro2 (or the XE2 for that matter). I think the color from the XPro2 is just about as good as that of the XE1, which is a bit better than the XE2.

My bitch is Fuji removed a couple of very good, simple ways of setting ISO manually that were in previous cameras. Yes, the Auto ISO functions are really very good. But it's not the same. That said, I need to spend more time using the "misomatic" Auto-ISO to give me reasonable manual control. Another work-around.

I will have to see the XT2 when it comes out. The inclusion of dual cards is important to me. I like the form factor of the XE2 more than the XT1/2 bodies.

Again, if Fuji can squeeze dual card slots into the XE3, keep the pop-up flash, add the new or newer sensor and not add more than a tiny bit to the size of the camera, they have a real winner. (Tilting lcd would be nice too, but I can live without it.) I've found I don't use the hybrid viewfinder of the XPro2 that much so wouldn't miss it.
Thanks, that is really informative feedback.

I must say that I also did not use the HVF of my XPro1 too much and preferred the EVF of the XE2 instead of that.

The one thing that threw me finally out of the Fuji X system (I also shot the XT1 for a year or so) was the really inferior AF compared to cameras like the Olympus EM1. But it seems that this restriction has gone now with the XPro2 and even more so the XT2, which means the XT2 should become my preferred main photographic tool pretty easily.

And it definitely has the superior sensor even to the upcoming EM1mII, although this camera is not even announced nor is known how it will really look like. But IQ wise I always already preferred any Fuji X sensor compared to any m43 sensor and I am pretty confident that this will stay like that or the Fuji IQ is even increased further over m43.

Time will tell but I am very confident for what the XT2 will bring and what the XPro2 already delivers.

David Schneider

Time will tell but I am very confident for what the XT2 will bring and what the XPro2 already delivers.
With the experience of the XPro2, I can't remotely believe the XT2 won't be a really fine camera. It's an evolutionary camera building on the XT1 and XPro2 so it should have the best of both cameras. EVF of XT2 should be way better than the XE2 and focusing is expected to be even better than XPro2, which seems better than my XE2 which was better than my XE1. And with Fuji's history of improving it's cameras with free firmware upgrades, I think a lot of Fuji users will be holding on to their XT2 for a long time.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
David Schneider wrote:

If Fuji puts that same sensor into the XE3, assuming there will be an XE3, and can squeeze in dual card slots (or even if they make the XE3 a tiny bit wider to handle the slots), leave my Fn button options, add the improved Auto ISO as an option, keep that pop-up flash and add the slightly better/faster focusing of the XT2 I would pre-order it in a minute and put the XPro2 up for sale.
Agree 100%. I am amazed how good the 'old' X-E2 is, especially with the latest firmware (and also amazed why there's so little public "love" for the 27/2.8). The X-E2/27 is an amazing combo for event work; set to ƒ4 and forget. If you get close, lovely OOF characteristics. Step away and DOF galore. I much prefer it to the 35/1.4 I also have.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
An XE3 would definitely be a very interesting camera, also as supplement to whatever XPro2 or XT2.

2WK

I started watching your video. Opening statement...."This is a Rangefinder Camera"

No it isn't.
:p

David Schneider

One thing about the XE2 compared to the XPro2: I almost always smile when I pick up my XE2!! I know that little camera is an incredibly capable, fun camera, especially since the v4 firmware upgrade. The XPro2 is a bit more of a tool to me.

I keep hoping for an XE3. Really would love dual card slot, even if that means the body has to be a tad wider and in that horrible spot at the bottom of the body. Just put in the new sensor and processor, whatever focusing the XT2 has, keep the pop-up flash, keep my Fn manual ISO, keep the Panoramic setting (missing in the XPro2, by the way) and keep the fun factor! And I would welcome those Auto ISO options in the XE3.

While I'm hoping for the XE3, I'd like to see the ISO Bracketing retain the raw file in addition to making three jpgs. Just something handy when I travel instead of doing it in post production.

bab

While I share most of your points, I completely disagree WRT high ISO usability. This is one of the best cameras out there today, especially in APSC sensor format - period!
Only with brighter light and not shooting into the light. With low light levels the high ISO is vastly different results then brighter scenes. the camera does enable great shadow lifting though using underexposure.

The two biggest problems still existing are sharpening and battery life. The battery life makes the camera not usable for some situations. (I have thought of making a belt to hold 12 batteries, dead ones on the left and charged ones on the right) and the biggest problem with the batteries is that 100% charge (actual shots) vary for each battery.

David Schneider

The two biggest problems still existing are sharpening and battery life. The battery life makes the camera not usable for some situations. (I have thought of making a belt to hold 12 batteries, dead ones on the left and charged ones on the right) and the biggest problem with the batteries is that 100% charge (actual shots) vary for each battery.
Sharpening is best done as a last step before printing or finishing so I don't see it as a camera problem (unless one requires jpgs SOOC for some purpose).

Small camera equals small battery and not much can be done about battery technology. I generally get 300-350 clicks from my Fuji batteries. For most, even wedding photographers doing a 1,000 shot wedding and that's four battery changes, that's inconvenient, but shouldn't be a deal breaker. Seems the batteries for the XT2 will give better performance so that might be the answer or at least an improvement.

David Schneider

A couple more little niggles on the XPro2.

Not sure why on USH2 card is able to be used in Slot 1 and not also in Slot 2. (In fact, it will go to a slower speed than most USh1 cards if used.) Believe this got fixed in XT2.

Why didn't they save the raw file when using ISO Bracketing. Yes, it can easily be handled using the original raw in-camera or in Photoshop, but really nice when traveling. And why not?

They got rid of the Panoramic setting. I don't do many in-camera panos, but really nice to have when traveling or just for fun.