The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why Fuji

rayyan

I love Fuji colors. I don't need but want a new smaller than a dslr system.
I considered and tried Olympus. Really good. But no active dealer support here.

Nikon and Fuji....full support. Critical for my needs.

Have camera, will travel. But I want that suits me..handling, performance, can take rough treatment..desert, rain, humidity, cold and hot etc.

Lens selection. Nikon and Fuji have them. For my needs and weight as required.

An unashamedly Fuji video..but hey...we are thinking of going here..saving money;)

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ShedKSlUyDI

greypilgrim

For me, it was all about a shutter release :p.

I was happy with and we'll set up with m43, shooting with an em5 and various lenses. I played around with various rentals, and did enjoy the xe-2, but that was just for the novelty.

Then I decided to give my daughter my em5 as a graduation present and upgrade to an em1. So, I did the usual. I rented an em1 for my next trip to Yosemite to try it out. And I loathed the feel of the shutter release. It was constantly misfiring for me when I tried to half press. Brushing it randomly would cause it to fire. Etc, etc... I verified this with another em1 when I returned, so it wasn't sample variation.

This caused me to look around at options, and I made the 'mistake' of renting an x-t1.

The ergonomics and shooting style just worked for me... I almost never dive into the menus, and I always know how my camera is set up. It's just a pleasure for me to shoot.

What do I miss? Live exposure on the em5, the lower weight of the system, and the oly 60 macro (sweet lens).

So that's why Fuji for me.

Doug

Thorkil

Hi Rayyan, Doug and others. Please report when decision is made! And lenses too! Wide, sharp zoom or perhaps primes (as second choise!), and 1 tele around 100 (35mm).
I'll will perhaps wait for the X-T2, if the Pentax K-1 don't get me, before that T2 comes.
Thorkil

Charles2

Which is the oldest/cheapest body that has proper aid for manual focusing, like electronic rangefinder, peaking or easy to use magnification?
I believe all the Fuji X cameras have magnification with a focus peak option, certainly the X-E series and the X-Pro bodies. The so-called electronic rangefinder, that is, digital split image, is in the X-Pro 2 and probably other of the most recent issues. I mostly shoot MF primes, and magnification with focus peak off lets me be precise. See my photostream for examples, tagged by lens, at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/41790885@N08/

scott kirkpatrick

I've been shooting with Leica M8, M9 and M240 for quite a few years now, (and recently with an SL and R or M primes), so the X Pro2 falls into a very special niche for me. It's easier to use and has a better viewfinder than my Ms for use with certain lenses. At present I use the 23/1.4 and will probably get the newer 35/2. Both of those focus really fast and fit the optical viewfinder well. The X Pro2 feels in the hand pretty much like one of the Ms, but it is faster So it's a natural out for dinner with friends or party camera.

DSCF0809 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott

David Schneider

This seems to be a matter of personal taste and preferences, right?

For me, whenever I am looking over my "old" Fuji X files I find them kind of magic, something I miss with most other brands.
I still think my "old" XE1 files had that magic too. Not quite there on my XE2 or XPro2, though they are vastly better cameras.

I still use my Canon 5Dmk3 for most of my studio business, my digital Haselblad for special purposes and my personal and travel cameras are the XE2 and XPro2, though they often get professional use.

To answer "Why Fuji," my XE2 is the only camera that makes me smile when pick it up. (My XE1 was stolen out of my car.) No other camera I own makes me smile, including the XPro2. It's small, capable and fun to use. It keeps the joy in photography.

rayyan

Thorkil, I just went and bought some items in the morning :grin:

The 16-55mm/2.8 should be flying in from Jeddah today..

Along with my 35/1.4; my Fuji kit is complete.

Hi Rayyan, Doug and others. Please report when decision is made! And lenses too! Wide, sharp zoom or perhaps primes (as second choise!), and 1 tele around 100 (35mm).
I'll will perhaps wait for the X-T2, if the Pentax K-1 don't get me, before that T2 comes.
Thorkil

Thorkil

Well done Rayyan! and congrats! looking good from outside :)
looking forward to see your pictures.
I have decided to wait for the X-T2 (I really do think, at least for now)...and perhaps a 16/1.4?
thorkil

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Currently I am thinking to get the XPro2 in July (there will be a promotion with the 2/35 lens in Austria) and later add the XT2 as well with the kit zoom.

I can see that these 2 cameras could become my go to photography solution for the next years - sigh.

iiiNelson

Currently I am thinking to get the XPro2 in July (there will be a promotion with the 2/35 lens in Austria) and later add the XT2 as well with the kit zoom.

I can see that these 2 cameras could become my go to photography solution for the next years - sigh.
Until the next great thing is released. :ROTFL:

segedi

It seems with Fuji that the next great thing could be a firmware update!

Sold the X-T1 and 18-55 last night. Waiting for the X-T2.

rayyan

Peter, Thorkil, Jorgen, Swissblad...thanks guys. :clap:

However, my wife saw me bringing it inside the house. We unwrapped it together. She put on the lens..a little heavy for me, she said. Good!!! She then put the kit lens on it. Shot a few frames.
Then, the 35/1.4. Perfect, she said.

And you can keep the XT-1, she added. I will test this one for you when I go the States in June!!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

But I did try a few shots..Just saved a small file. All data is intact. OOC. In camera film simulation.

WOW! But..:cry::cry:

Well done Rayyan! and congrats! looking good from outside :)
looking forward to see your pictures.
I have decided to wait for the X-T2 (I really do think, at least for now)...and perhaps a 16/1.4?
thorkil

Thorkil

:thumbup: :thumbup:..that I would wish also to see with soft slightly muted colours and muted light, Rayyan.
Thorkil

rayyan

Thanks Thorkil. Another useless shot. I miss OIS on this one. Surprisingly, I find it balances better on the XT-1 than on the XPro-2, for me.
Maybe because of the better handgrip ( subjective ) on the XT-1.

But damn, is this one sharp and beautifully crafted lens.

This with the XPro-2, shaky hands and nothing worth shooting!!

Kindest regards.

:thumbup: :thumbup:..that I would wish also to see with soft slightly muted colours and muted light, Rayyan.
Thorkil

rayyan

Thorkil, I think I shall keep this one. She can get the X-T2..with her money!!

I put the 35/1.4 on the XPRO-2. Excellent feel, responsiveness, focus. The 35/1.4 is NOT known for focus speed. It is good to go..for me.

Yes, I shall keep this one..for sure.

This one I played around a bit with simple levels. Altered the black point. Just for fun:D

That's it for now.

very nice colours, softnes and sharpnes! Perhaps you might end up with a X-T2, then :)
Thorkil

ptomsu

Workshop Member

I put the 35/1.4 on the XPRO-2. Excellent feel, responsiveness, focus. The 35/1.4 is NOT known for focus speed. It is good to go..for me.

This one I played around a bit with simple levels. Altered the black point. Just for fun:D

That's it for now.
Rayyan,

great to hear that you like the XPro2 so much that you will keep it.

Looking forward to get mine sometimes next month!

Enjoy and best regards

Peter

Thorkil

That's it for now.
Very nice tones and very nice appearence, Rayyan!
Looking forward to more while you are keeping it.
While we get older each day, Yes camera-shake and shaking hands could be an issue for me too, since its only some of the zooms that got the OIS...
thorkil

scott kirkpatrick

I'm curious about something. Fuji's lenses in the US have been on discount for the past few months. The 35/2 is only $299, listed at $399. At one point you could buy an X-Pro2 and the 35/2 and pay only $200 extra for the lens. (Of course the black ones are sold out until later this month.) The 16/1.4 is now selling for $700, but is listed at $1000. And with a little care in the US, there is no local sales tax. What is the situation in Europe, land of the VAT?

scott

iiiNelson

I'm curious about something. Fuji's lenses in the US have been on discount for the past few months. The 35/2 is only $299, listed at $399. At one point you could buy an X-Pro2 and the 35/2 and pay only $200 extra for the lens. (Of course the black ones are sold out until later this month.) The 16/1.4 is now selling for $700, but is listed at $1000. And with a little care in the US, there is no local sales tax. What is the situation in Europe, land of the VAT?

scott
I assume the discounts are to clear and move stock more quickly in the US. It seems that Fuji is running a promotion every few months on equipment whether a new body is released or not. I know that in the US, Canon and Nikon gear moves far more quickly than most other brands with Sony trailing them both in sales by a good margin. This has a lot to do with brand recognition of what the "pros" use.

I hardly know anyone with a Fuji, and this says nothing of the quality that they are, as most that use them tend to love them. This is especially true of Nikon users as I think they are closer in natural manipulation of the dials, menus, and manual focusing in operation IMO.