The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T2... oh bugger

PeterA

Peter,

if you look carefully, you should see that there is at least something in focus on almost all of the photos. The lens is definitely capable, but there are better lenses than the kit lens in the Fuji lineup.

Maybe I did not always put the focus on the right part of the image, but that was then my fault. Most of the photos were also taken outdoors with some wind, so this made things not easier.;)
Well that would do it Peter!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Almost full moon :cool:

Fuji XT2 and XF 100-400 handheld with manual exposure at ISO 200 cropped, Zone AF worked like a breeze - it was never as easy to make such a stunning shot of the moon.

Start loving this camera and lens more and more every day!

2016-09-17_0013-2.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

I got the same combo this week Peter and when I saw your image, had to run out and do something similar.

With the xt2, 100-400 + 1.4 tc handheld. Shot with Acros, love the jpg workflow with the Fuji's, even more with dual card slots.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I got the same combo this week Peter and when I saw your image, had to run out and do something similar.

With the xt2, 100-400 + 1.4 tc handheld. Shot with Acros, love the jpg workflow with the Fuji's, even more with dual card slots.
Absolutely stunning, especially for shot with the TC1.4. Love this XT2 and lenses! IMHO Lightyears ahead of most other systems!

scott kirkpatrick

Let's see 400 x 1.4 * 1.5 APS-C multiplication factor = 840 mm-eff And a 24 MPx sensor under all that. How many pixels wide is the moon with that setup? This is definitely an X-T2 sort of thing to do, not an X-Pro2 challlenge.

But I'm tempted to compete. Let's see. I don't have a Fuji 400, but I do have a Leica 280 R, and a 2X extender on order, but the moon won't be big enough to count when the extender gets here. There's the Olympus 150 with a 1.4X extender , and the expansion factor is 2X, so that is still only 420 mm effective. But I can run the Olympus E-M5ii in its 64 MPx mode (have to use a tripod), so maybe that is like having 840 mm-eff with a 16 MPx sensor. The moon is just coming up. I'll try it and come back if the results are reasonable...

scott

PS: Not quite there yet...

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Why not E-M5.2 (or E-M5 or E-M1) and Olympus 300/4 Pro and MC-14 1.4x Teleconverter? Freehand, no tripod required.

No doubt that the Oly kit could ask also do amazing things. We truly live in an incredible era for photography. I don't think you could really go wrong with any piece of kit these days.

Why not E-M5.2 (or E-M5 or E-M1) and Olympus 300/4 Pro and MC-14 1.4x Teleconverter? Freehand, no tripod required.

scott kirkpatrick

Go at it, one of you guys with the Big Tuna (300 mm) to throw at the problem. I hustled out to my moon viewing spot last night with gear that I haven't used for a few months, and learned that setting exposure, getting focus at infinity, when the Olympus viewing system doesn't show you the result of the manual exposure that you choose, but sets exposure (way too high) for you, and finally turning on the high res options in RAW, is too many things to get right in the dark on the first try. I'll work on it again tonight.

scott

k-hawinkler

Oh well, I only have a Moon shot lying around, taken with the 300/4 Pro on E-M1 but without the MC-14. Here it is.

Olympus E-M1, M.300mm F4.0, ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 300.0 mm (300.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/4, EXPOSURE TIME 0.01s (1/100), handheld.

The following was taken with the same gear, but including the MC-14.

Olympus E-M1, M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14, ISO 320, FOCAL LENGTH 420.0 mm (420.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/5.6, EXPOSURE TIME 0.001s (1/1000), handheld.

Golly, amazing what all flies over my house. :facesmack:

But my favorite shot of the Moon is this one of the Super Harvest Blood Moon from 2015-09-27. Yup, those are stars and not digital noise. :grin:

Sony ILCE-7RM2, FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS, ISO 3200, FOCAL LENGTH 90.0 mm (90.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/2.8, EXPOSURE TIME 0.2s (1/5), handheld.

Last edited:

rayyan

Peter, Congratulations!!:thumbs:

Enjoy it in good health, my friend. Now you made me want to spend some riyals!!

Best to you and yours.

The XT2 keeps me excited - IMHO the most beautiful colors direct OOC

scott kirkpatrick

Moonshots with Olympus M-5vii high resolution

and the 40-150 Pro with a 1.4X extender.

P9190673 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

It's only 3-4 days since the moon was full, but it really looks chewed up already.

ISO 200, f/8 at 1/400 biggest difficulty was focusing. I haven't figured out how to do precise live view focusing on a bright rock in a dark sky with the Olympus.

scott

k-hawinkler

I always start with the sunny 16 rule - f/16 and s=1/ISO - and go from there.
So manual exposure but autofocus on the edge of the Moon.

Paul2660

I believe there are 2 of them.

Feb 11th. And August 7th for blood moon 2017. Don't think the August one will be visible during daylight hours. Also a full solar eclipse in 2017.

Paul C