The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-T2 vs Nikon D810 shoot out video "response"

bab

this is in response to the video shootout absolutely bias review by John Lehmann.
http://petapixel.com/2016/07/08/fuji-x-t2-vs-nikon-d810-sports-shooting-comparison/

"I'm not sure of the setting you had set up to use the 100-400mm lens the shutter lag can be a minor challenge depending on how you set up the shooting menu.

The bigger issue is the hood blocking the view which you forgot to mention, for shooting casually its not a big deal just a work around but for a paid shoot what your (testing situation) the hood prevents ultimate ability to make good composures. In fact when you have the lens either at 400mm or with the extender on and properly have the camera set to acquire fast tracking of moving objects you loose the horizon orientation easily and/or the top or bottom of the frame is hard to ascertain.

That being said the real truth is Fuji engineers know the issues...limitations that exist with the X-Pro2 and X-T2, the marketing department knows how to sell the sizzle and the pros who buy the camera and use it professionally know the work around. That doesn't mean Fuji needs to take three years to produce a flash unit (when other companies precluding Metz) could have put a private label flash to market in 6 months , or to release 24 MP camera.

But what I don't understand is how you release a gimmicky 100-400mm F5.6 when a 100-300mm F4.0 IS with internal filter slot and better ergonomics would have been a smarter choice for two hundred dollars more. The buy amateurs that spend the money for the 100-400mm are buying at the top of their budget and for the pros its like a low-medium lens purchase.

Ive used the lens extensively and I have very mixed results. John your video assessment is correct that under good-great lighting the lens will get you by but its not the dream machine. In fact it's not so much the lens fault but as I said more the fact of the hood blocking your vision with proper camera settings if you just want to shoot single burst (one frame) there is no issues.

I have owned many Fuji cameras the X-pro2 is now working fine as I quickly learned you MUST underexpose the images to make a printable file in bright light the sensor cannot handle "expose to the right"? I not sure why? Best results with Fuji sensor right now is to underexpose by 1-2 stops and pull up the shadows in full sun or bright cloudy days. If you even think about shooting into the sun forget it. The sensor cant handle the DR your going to loose even at F16 the file just doesn't have the magic to gain a proper exposure at both ends even in post process, it may look good on the screen but try printing a 20" print and you will see what I mean.

My last RANT which is the deal-killer for me is the battery life, when shooting at burst rates above 5FPS forget about having less that 7-10 batteries for a half a day shoot. Again FUJI the battery situation SUCKS! NO REASONABLE EXPLANATION YOU CAN MAKE WILL CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE. I own many other systems that allow me to shoot endlessly with two batteries at the most three, HELL with one scene I can easily go thru three Fuji battery's in less than an hour. WHY didn't you fix the problem with the X-T2 instead of making a bandage adding a vertical grip and being able to shoot a little longer having 3 extra pounds of junk in your hand? Really a shame I love my Fuji's but I cant stand the big issues that cripple productivity when you need to lean on your tools a bit for some help.

Regards

Barry

rayyan

This is meant as a respectful response to the above post.

You do realise that one is a crop sensor, mirror less cam; the other is a 35mm full frame dslr. Of course you do, being a ' professional '.

Amateurs do not necessarily have a upper limit on their budgets. That's why a lot of them buy their Audi designed cameras. A few hundred dollars don't dent that budget.

To be on the safe side, I generally carry my Fuji with a Leica, or my Fuji with my full frame Nikon. That way I don't have an excuse. Or have no reason to rant.

For video, I have a dedicated video cam.

I guess you won't be buying the XT-2 then.

In any case enjoy what you buy and what you do. Fuji or any cam manufacturer ain't going to go bankcrupt if I don't buy their product.

Best wishes.

p.s. For me 50mm is usually enough. Though I itch for a wide. But being an amateur, unlike some amateurs, I watch my budget and lens weight.

V

Vivek

Babe, what was that post about and who was it addressed to? :confused:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I cannot believe how folks who call themselves professionals can publish such a video full of garbage and wrong information. Unfortunately this is getting to happen more and more over the Internet and this is absolutely a bad thing.

Neither camera is used in a proper setup and on top of that comparing a 6k Nikkor zoom with a 2k Fuji zoom is nothing than unfair and does nor draw a nice picture on the mental capabilities nor professionalism of both.

A shame that such B.... can happen!

Paul2660

Never saw the video, but the issue on battery life is a real problem for me on the X-Pro2. Not only life but the fact that the intelligence seems to be wrong, (battery life indicator), as mine will show at 3/4 or around 65% then die. Very suddenly and the battery is in fact totally drained.

I know, carry plenty of extras, but there are times where the battery issue has caused me a bit of trouble.

I was hoping that Fuji's new battery would have a greater milliamp life, but it appears to be the same, only has "less heat".

I have moved my X-Pro2 to the lowest power setting, and that has helped just a bit, but overall the camera does seem much more power hungry than other Fuji cameras I have used.

The battery grip for the X-t2, will be a nice addition, only wish one could have been made for the Pro2, but that would require a body retro fit.

Paul C

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I saw the video, and it's crap. Different class of cameras and totally different class of lenses. To compare sports, they should have used the Nikon D500 with the 80-400. The Nikon would have won comfortably, but under fair conditions.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I saw the video, and it's crap. Different class of cameras and totally different class of lenses. To compare sports, they should have used the Nikon D500 with the 80-400. The Nikon would have won comfortably, but under fair conditions.
I would have really loved a comparison between the D500 with the 80-400 VR2 and the XT2 with grip and power boost on and the 100-400.

That would have been a fair test, as soon as the Fuji XT2 FW was final.

And then I am not so sure what camera would have won overall :toocool:

JaapD

I don’t think it is crap, as long as you put it in the right perspective. The Fuji setup is compared against a best-in-class Nikon setup. Focus performance / DOF wise there is a two stop difference (1 stop because of the lens and 1 stop because of the FF vs. APSC) where the advantage is in the Nikon camp.

It’s a pity that due to the missing grip Fuji did not have the boost function available. I think with the grip Fuji will be about at 70% of Nikon level which is to me a great achievement. Also think about the difference in price.

If my car was at 70% of best-in-class car level then I would be very satisfied :)

bab

Never saw the video, but the issue on battery life is a real problem for me on the X-Pro2. Not only life but the fact that the intelligence seems to be wrong, (battery life indicator), as mine will show at 3/4 or around 65% then die. Very suddenly and the battery is in fact totally drained.

I know, carry plenty of extras, but there are times where the battery issue has caused me a bit of trouble.

I was hoping that Fuji's new battery would have a greater milliamp life, but it appears to be the same, only has "less heat".

I have moved my X-Pro2 to the lowest power setting, and that has helped just a bit, but overall the camera does seem much more power hungry than other Fuji cameras I have used.

The battery grip for the X-t2, will be a nice addition, only wish one could have been made for the Pro2, but that would require a body retro fit.

Paul C
You know maybe the battery indicator on mine is a little crazy too, but I have several batteries that say full on charger and when put in camera the right in the middle of shooting I get the low battery red light and one second later it's dead!
Don't know why they didn't use a thicker and wider battery for the X-pro2 they could have doubled the frame count.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I don’t think it is crap, as long as you put it in the right perspective. The Fuji setup is compared against a best-in-class Nikon setup. Focus performance / DOF wise there is a two stop difference (1 stop because of the lens and 1 stop because of the FF vs. APSC) where the advantage is in the Nikon camp.

It’s a pity that due to the missing grip Fuji did not have the boost function available. I think with the grip Fuji will be about at 70% of Nikon level which is to me a great achievement. Also think about the difference in price.

If my car was at 70% of best-in-class car level then I would be very satisfied :)
Sorry but a real comparison with top of the line Nikon would have been the D5. The D810 is far away from being any serious sports camera .....