The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm Medium Format is finally getting true

V

Vivek

Why?

Did you use already the X1D? What is wrong with that camera?
No (will never buy one either). Most (of everything).

Likely buy the GFX.

(If you like the XD1 there is thread on that in another section.)

jdphoto

Without leaf shutter lenses, for me, it kinda misses the advantage of MFD. High sync is a must. It's not the sexiest camera either. The Hasselblad mirrorless really is a nice design. Very much like a SWC body. Having shot with many Hasselblad H and Phase MFD, i think mirrorless is the future of digital photography, but i'm not convinced that Fuji is there...yet.

jdphoto

If your priority criteria for a photo camera is sexy instead of functionality, usability and reliability i can understand the disappointment.

The last thing i get from a photo camera is a hard on but i guess that's just me.
While having a "sexy" camera does seem to be a egotistical requirement, it does have its merits. I'm not sure of any pro shooter who invests in a camera system based on the "look" of a camera. As most know cameras are tools, but good-looking designs enhance the experience.

V

Vivek

"Good looking" may enhance the fondling experience.

Sort of a frizzon.

Jan

While having a "sexy" camera does seem to be a egotistical requirement, it does have its merits. I'm not sure of any pro shooter who invests in a camera system based on the "look" of a camera. As most know cameras are tools, but good-looking designs enhance the experience.
Good point and taken, although I doubt that many will speak in the context of 'sexy'. The design is good, excellent, brilliant, whatever it is in the eye of the beholder. But sexy? And again, if this is your criteria to burn down a camera or system to the ground, well ....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What an uninformed prick. If he's looking for Fujifilm medium format DNA, here it is:

I guess you cannot please all the people all the time. I love my GX680 and I'm sure I'd love this new camera even more. If I ever get into digital MF, I'm quite sure this will be it. I don't doubt for a second that when it comes to image quality, the GFX 50 will have Fuji DNA in spades. Great move, Fuji :lecture:

iiiNelson

I read somewhere that the EVF is 3.69 so not bad at all.
I read that too... Seems like that may soon become the norm for the next generation of EVF cameras... I hope anyway as it seems we have been stuck with 2.36 dot EVF options the last few years. Not a revolutionary difference IMO in most cases but enough of a difference to tell something is different when comparing say a Leica SL to a A7 series EVF.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The EVF has 3.69 MP resolution, which currently is only second to the Leica SL. Besides of resolution I assume that the EVF will at least be as superb as the one in the XT2. By far the best currently available on the market, again only topped by the Leica SL.

I do not have the slightest doubt that this camera has the same great colors as the X cameras and I also cannot recognize where Fuji DNA or however you like to call it is missing.

KUDOS for this great move by Fuji! Not sure if I would go back into the MFD market again, but if I would decide so one day, this GFX system would most likely be my choice by far!

fotografz

What an uninformed prick. If he's looking for Fujifilm medium format DNA, here it is:

I guess you cannot please all the people all the time. I love my GX680 and I'm sure I'd love this new camera even more. If I ever get into digital MF, I'm quite sure this will be it. I don't doubt for a second that when it comes to image quality, the GFX 50 will have Fuji DNA in spades. Great move, Fuji :lecture:
All due respect ... the Fuji studio camera, while great, is hardly their true Medium Format DNA. When I think of Fuji, I think of all the highly portable MF cameras they made ... like this, as one example:

14423927293320567828-3.jpg

BTW, I know Dirk from years ago when his forum was one of the better places to discuss photography, and he is neither "uninformed" nor a "prick".

Personally, given my druthers, I'd like a camera to also look good, but not at the expense of working well. After all, we are supposed to be "visually oriented".

This camera has some very attractive, even compelling, features. Love that the lenses will have aperture rings ... and they have a 100/2 in the pipeline!

I'm one that requires high sync speeds, so it is not specifically a camera for me ... but I sure do think it to be a terrific addition to the MFD world since more competition means more for the consumer with less costs.

- Marc

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
All due respect ... the Fuji studio camera, while great, is hardly their true Medium Format DNA. When I think of Fuji, I think of all the highly portable MF cameras they made ... like this, as one example:

View attachment 121345

BTW, I know Dirk from years ago when his forum was one of the better places to discuss photography, and he is neither "uninformed" nor a "prick".

Personally, given my druthers, I'd like a camera to also look good, but not at the expense of working well. After all, we are supposed to be "visually oriented".

This camera has some very attractive, even compelling, features. Love that the lenses will have aperture rings ... and they have a 100/2 in the pipeline!

I'm one that requires high sync speeds, so it is not specifically a camera for me ... but I sure do think it to be a terrific addition to the MFD world since more competition means more for the consumer with less costs.

- Marc
I'm sure he's neither uninformed nor a prick, but being disappointed about what seems to be an excellent camera because it doesn't look like the latest Hasselblad sure gives that impression. As for the GX680, it's extreme, but it shows one side of Fuji that was important to them and their customers at the time: Making a medium format camera that could do it all, except being portable (I ahev travelled with mine though, as have others). That seems to be the ambition with this new product as well, hence the removable/exchangeable viewfinder. Technology makes it possible to shrink it into a much smaller size than the old monster, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see tilt/shift and other specialty lenses later.

David Schneider

The disappointment is it seems to have a CCD sensor, not an X-Trans sensor. If and when it gets an X-Trans sensor, then you really could have a great camera.

I have a feeling this will be like the XE1. It was a great, quirky camera that became the XE2 and a fantastic little camera once it got firmware v. 4. So it might take Fuji a couple of years to get it up to where it should be.

Not selling of my HC Hasselblad lenses just yet, although I might sell my H3D2-39 now.

jdphoto

I'm sure he's neither uninformed nor a prick, but being disappointed about what seems to be an excellent camera because it doesn't look like the latest Hasselblad sure gives that impression. As for the GX680, it's extreme, but it shows one side of Fuji that was important to them and their customers at the time: Making a medium format camera that could do it all, except being portable (I ahev travelled with mine though, as have others). That seems to be the ambition with this new product as well, hence the removable/exchangeable viewfinder. Technology makes it possible to shrink it into a much smaller size than the old monster, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see tilt/shift and other specialty lenses later.
Hmm, tough crowd. What's wrong with objective opinions? I'd be cautious of these kind of responses as I've already formed my subjective opinion of you. Well rounded and intelligent discussions help to keep a thread useful, respectful and informed.