The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm Medium Format is finally getting true

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hmm, tough crowd. What's wrong with objective opinions? I'd be cautious of these kind of responses as I've already formed my subjective opinion of you. Well rounded and intelligent discussions help to keep a thread useful, respectful and informed.
Opinions are never objective. The whole point of an opinion is that it's subjective.

jdphoto

Opinions are never objective. The whole point of an opinion is that it's subjective.
You're right, I did in fact, mean subjective. The point was that the reviewer should be allowed his opinion without being subjected to name calling. This new Fuji will be welcomed by many and useless to others. That's my objective opinion.

V

Vivek

Following the same line, most never had a problem (or even aware) with their plastic mounts either. :rolleyes:

scott kirkpatrick

Bad typing.
CMOS not X-Trans.
I think the point is that the 50 MPx chip that Fuji is using doesn't have X-trans filter array but a conventional Bayer array. That may be a realization on Fuji's part that X-trans hasn't really delivered that much, and Moire elimination isn't a big problem at 50 MPx and above, or maybe they just couldn't get the sensor made completely to their specs.

We'll obviously hear a lot more in a few months. I like the flip-up viewfinder that they use. Reminds me of the FV-2/4 from Olympus. It's really very useful.

scott

iiiNelson

Following the same line, most never had a problem (or even aware) with their plastic mounts either. :rolleyes:
I don't have any issues with my plastic mounts personally and still use my generation one body. Companies take cost into the equation obviously and it's a negligible cost to move from plastic to a metal mount and thus a change was made.

V

Vivek

Thanks for the insider information!

I thought the fotodiox metal mount replacement embarrassed them into spending a little more to metal.

Tim

All due respect ... the Fuji studio camera, while great, is hardly their true Medium Format DNA. When I think of Fuji, I think of all the highly portable MF cameras they made ... like this, as one example:

View attachment 121345
Looking at this makes me yearn for a Fuji Medium Format X100 version. (lets call it a X200)
Smaller sensor integrated lens cameras like the Sigma DP, RX1 and Ricoh GR have proven there is some IQ gain from a fixed HQ integrated lens.

I'd like to dabble in MF but the prices while attainable are hard to justify for my output. So, every time I consider a MF system I do so thinking about managing with one lens, it may as well be a X200 then. Can I assume that making a MF camera with no lens mount will save cost?

I guess there is the used market for us GAS poor.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
All due respect ... the Fuji studio camera, while great, is hardly their true Medium Format DNA. When I think of Fuji, I think of all the highly portable MF cameras they made ... like this, as one example:

View attachment 121345

- Marc
Seems to me that the new Fuji is competing against the Pentax/Hassy HX/XF with IQ150 market. The Fuji you show is definitely the perview of Hasselblad with the X1D. Heck, I'd take the X1D with manual focus lenses any day too vs plastic fantastic HC lenses.

Big fan of the Texas Leica myself, great camera. I also have a Mamiya 7II, Bronica RF645 and the obligatory Hasselblad XPan II so I completely understand the appeal of these cameras.

Personally I'd love to see one of the manufacturers be brave enough to produce a 44x33 equivalent to the FujiFilm GF670 or GS645 :thumbup:

Shashin

Personally I'd love to see one of the manufacturers be brave enough to produce a 44x33 equivalent to the FujiFilm GF670 or GS645 :thumbup:
Or a Bronica RF645 equivalent. An amazing little camera. If I did not have a preference for 6x6 and my Mamiya 6, that would have been in my camera bag. Personally, the vertical orientation of the 44x33 format in a camera would be great.

The Bronica came out just in time for film photography to implode.

segedi

Looking at this makes me yearn for a Fuji Medium Format X100 version. (lets call it a X200)
You meant XL200 didn't you? :)

I do think that Hasselblad, after their ugly marriage to Sony, has produced a beautiful camera.
Won't likely buy either though (unless someone wants to trade for my DF/80LS/IQ140). And I'm happy with the X-T2!

Last edited:

mandonbossi

This camera has some very attractive, even compelling, features. Love that the lenses will have aperture rings ... and they have a 100/2 in the pipeline!

Does anybody know if the aperture ring on the lenses behaves as a normal manual focus aperture ring? As in, is it electronically linked to the camera?

Or could it be placed on a smaller format camera and be used as a tilt/shift lens?

med

This camera has some very attractive, even compelling, features. Love that the lenses will have aperture rings ... and they have a 100/2 in the pipeline!

Does anybody know if the aperture ring on the lenses behaves as a normal manual focus aperture ring? As in, is it electronically linked to the camera?

Or could it be placed on a smaller format camera and be used as a tilt/shift lens?
All indications would point to it being an electronic aperture ring only, similar to the X series lenses. Any adaptor (t/s or otherwise) would need to interpret these signals, as well as send the appropriate "stop down" and focusing signalling, as they are also focus-by-wire. All of this to say they would not make good candidates to adapt to any other systems.