The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100T red noise in a line on image

neils

OK so I've rented for the holidays an X100T. In the past I've used a rented Xpro2 and EX2 (I may have those letters crossed up) so I'm not entirely new to the Fuji cameras. My main camera is a Nikon D3 and I own no RAW convertor besides the Nikon NX2 and the not so bad convertor in Alien Skin Exposure.

So I just shot some images, lowish light, ISO 1600 1/30th 2.8. The exposures are a little on the deep side. So being the only way to view the RAW is using Exposure I give some a look and on a zoom of the image I see a line across the image of red pixels. This doesn't show in the jpg image. It is a pretty close zoom, larger than I'd print but I assume it because I have no proper i.e. Lightroom, Photoshop, Capture One etc convertor. What do you guys think.

In general I like these cameras and having an optical finder is a joy I haven't had in years. It can't do what D3 does but that works both ways.

If/when I own a Fuji I'll get a proper convertor of whatever brand, most likely LR.

Right now I wonder about the red line of pixels

Neil

darr

Can you post a screen shot?

I have the XP2 and the X100T and have not experienced a red line of pixels from either camera. If the jpeg was made from the RAW file that has red pixels and it does not show up there, it sounds like a post-processing issue. You said your files are "a little on the deep side," do you mean underexposed? If so, the red pixels may be noise, but unless you can convert them properly, we may not know for sure.

Here is the link to the free Fuji RAW Converter Program, SILKYPIX. Converting the RAW files with a valid processor would be my first troubleshooting step.

Kind regards,
Darr

tbhv55

If Silkypix is not to your liking (and many feel that way) then I'd suggest Rawtherapee available here.

Rawtherapee doesn't have the easiest of UI's, and it will take some effort to learn. However, it is very capable, and in my experience, it does a creditable job with Fuji x-Trans files. And it's free (with NO 'nags')! ;)

neils

Thanks for the replies. The redline only appeared in Exposure2 but really I never think of that as being my RAW convertor of choice, Photo Mechanic always uses the embedded jpg for a preview and there was no line there.

So I did load the new latest Silkypix convertor. Lots of control and options after you find it. Wow, that is the UI from hell IMO. A very clean conversion with "defaults" that smooth too much for me, this was an ISO 1600 image, and it took a while to find a slider to roll back the NR setting. No red line of noise though. Pretty much everything you'd want to do is there, you just have to find it and figure out what Silkypix decided to call it.

The weirdest thing about the SP convertor, lets say you've made the ultimate file from the RAF. Now you want to save it. Where? Unlike virtually any other software there isn't under the "FILE" pulldown a save option. In fact I never found a way to save the file as is. They must have renamed it 'cause of course you couldn't just call it "SAVE" right?

Just frustrating. A nice convertor but mess to use.

darr

Thanks for the replies. The redline only appeared in Exposure2 but really I never think of that as being my RAW convertor of choice, Photo Mechanic always uses the embedded jpg for a preview and there was no line there.

So I did load the new latest Silkypix convertor. Lots of control and options after you find it. Wow, that is the UI from hell IMO. A very clean conversion with "defaults" that smooth too much for me, this was an ISO 1600 image, and it took a while to find a slider to roll back the NR setting. No red line of noise though. Pretty much everything you'd want to do is there, you just have to find it and figure out what Silkypix decided to call it.

The weirdest thing about the SP convertor, lets say you've made the ultimate file from the RAF. Now you want to save it. Where? Unlike virtually any other software there isn't under the "FILE" pulldown a save option. In fact I never found a way to save the file as is. They must have renamed it 'cause of course you couldn't just call it "SAVE" right?

Just frustrating. A nice convertor but mess to use.
I am not familiar with SilkyPix and offered it bc it was free. I process my RAW files in various programs including Lightroom.
Glad to hear the red pixel line is gone.

Kind regards,
Darr