The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX System

algrove

I would use Lightroom, as I assume it would also support film simulations in the develop module same as with the X system. And film simulations that can be applied to RAW files anytime after the shot are one of the main advantages of Fuji. Also LR supports RAW compressed.

C1P cannot do both so far and this is the main reason why I am no longer using it.
Do you have any idea if film simulations can be applied to uncompressed RAW files as well. Perhaps a stupid question, but I have been using C1 mostly of late and as such have not tried any XT2 files in LR, although I have not processed very many XT2 files even in C1.

k-hawinkler

I like using C1Pro, closely followed by Iridient Developer.
No doubt the latter app would support the GFX system, no?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I like using C1Pro, closely followed by Iridient Developer.
No doubt the latter app would support the GFX system, no?
I never tried Iridient Developer but from what I hear it should be great for Fuji RAW files.

I would switch back to C1P in a second if they would support Fuji film presets.

But hey, meanwhile also LR produces absolutely great files.

algrove

I asked this on another thread, but answers did not exactly apply.

IF the GFX can shoot RAW tiffs generated by the camera, could these files then be downloaded into C1? If so, would this be enough to get around the problem of not being able to use GFX files in C1.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I asked this on another thread, but answers did not exactly apply.

IF the GFX can shoot RAW tiffs generated by the camera, could these files then be downloaded into C1? If so, would this be enough to get around the problem of not being able to use GFX files in C1.
You can use Fuji RAWs in C1, but only uncompressed RAWs. I assume this will be the same for the GFX as well.

But again, C1 does not support Film Simulations as it does not support compressed RAWs.

As long as Phase One is so arrogant not to support Fuji compressed RAWs this will be a limitation - I am usually shooting compressed RAW and so C1 has kind of shut down for me - at least till they wake up and fulfill customer requirements.

But till then I may be so deep in LR that I probably won't go back to C1 :cool:

algrove

You can use Fuji RAWs in C1, but only uncompressed RAWs. I assume this will be the same for the GFX as well.

I worry about this assumption since I have never been able to import any RAW files from any other cameras other than Phase RAW files into C1. That was why I was wondering if a RAW tiff might get around the issue.

iiiNelson

It blows my mind why Phase One wouldn't more aggressively go after the market left open by Aperture. If something like On1 Photo Raw does as well as they hope and provides a great tethering platform I can see a lot of users going that way for an open RAW converter with a more robust/speedy rendering engine than Lightroom.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
[/COLOR]

I worry about this assumption since I have never been able to import any RAW files from any other cameras other than Phase RAW files into C1. That was why I was wondering if a RAW tiff might get around the issue.
I hear you!

Unfortunately I think that Fuji cameras cannot do RAW Tiff, at least to my knowledge. SO I doubt that the GFX will be able to do it as well.

scott kirkpatrick

C1 won't process a file until they have developed a profile for the camera which took it. They were very late in supporting the Leica SL because they didn't get a loaner from Leica to work with and finally borrowed mine for a week. Although X Pro2 and X T2 files must look essentially the same (both could be developed immediately in AccuRaw, my backup system) they didn't develop X-T2 files on release either. Adobe LR decrypts the compressed Fuji RAF files using code that they obtained from Fuji. There are some third party tools that can decompress a compressed Fuji RAF (again AccuRaw can do this, using code based on someone else's hack of the Fuji compression scheme). It slows things down and could change without warning. C1 apparently chose not to do that. I shoot uncompressed RAFs and compress them a days worth at a time, including the metadata files in the directory, after I have rendered them. I think my overall compression ratio is probably a bit better this way.

I don't think there is any connection between Film Simulation and decompression. These occur at different stages in the process.

scott

ptomsu

Workshop Member
C1 won't process a file until they have developed a profile for the camera which took it. They were very late in supporting the Leica SL because they didn't get a loaner from Leica to work with and finally borrowed mine for a week. Although X Pro2 and X T2 files must look essentially the same (both could be developed immediately in AccuRaw, my backup system) they didn't develop X-T2 files on release either. Adobe LR decrypts the compressed Fuji RAF files using code that they obtained from Fuji. There are some third party tools that can decompress a compressed Fuji RAF (again AccuRaw can do this, using code based on someone else's hack of the Fuji compression scheme). It slows things down and could change without warning. C1 apparently chose not to do that. I shoot uncompressed RAFs and compress them a days worth at a time, including the metadata files in the directory, after I have rendered them. I think my overall compression ratio is probably a bit better this way.

I don't think there is any connection between Film Simulation and decompression. These occur at different stages in the process.

scott
Scott,

many thanks for this clarification! Was not aware of these details.

Anyway I am fine with LR as it works now for the Fuji RAWs and try to stay just with one post processing package. I also do not think that there is any connection between Film Simulation and decompression.

Peter

iiiNelson

Scott,

many thanks for this clarification! Was not aware of these details.

Anyway I am fine with LR as it works now for the Fuji RAWs and try to stay just with one post processing package. I also do not think that there is any connection between Film Simulation and decompression.

Peter
For as much as I try to look at alternative it appears Adobe is still the ONLY serious RAW processor out there that has a open platform to support just about any camera out there. My advice to most will be to get the Adobe Photographer subscription and add DXO/On1/Iridient Developer software if you have a bit more of a discerning eye.

Capture 1 Pro is nice software (that I'd use nearly exclusively if it were an actual open software platform) but I have little desire to own anything else that Phase One currently makes at this time. Great cameras no doubt but not my cup of tea. They alsocost way more than I'm willing to spend at this time for a camera.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For as much as I try to look at alternative it appears Adobe is still the ONLY serious RAW processor out there that has a open platform to support just about any camera out there. My advice to most will be to get the Adobe Photographer subscription and add DXO/On1/Iridient Developer software if you have a bit more of a discerning eye.

Capture 1 Pro is nice software (that I'd use nearly exclusively if it were an actual open software platform) but I have little desire to own anything else that Phase One currently makes at this time. Great cameras no doubt but not my cup of tea. They alsocost way more than I'm willing to spend at this time for a camera.
I actually very much agree!

iiiNelson

What lighting options exist for Fuji cameras besides speed lighting? That'll be a big factor in whether or not I buy into the Fuji ecosystem.

iiiNelson

Any inside info and "informed guesses" on what the kit price will be? I'm hoping for $7K but logic tells me maybe $8000 with the kit lens and maybe $8500 with the zoom.

algrove

You are about right on price. That 32-64 zoom sounds the perfect all aound lens and great for street. The f4 is the only bummer for me, but then the 110 f2 sounds terrific. I like the OIS on the 120. The 23 could be a third lens. I would probably concentrate on WR lenses.

ONLY 15 days to go until we know for sure. Could be the perfect backup cam for my XF as shooting in heavy rain at the Grand Canyon was a challenge to say the least.

Jan

You are about right on price. That 32-64 zoom sounds the perfect all aound lens and great for street. The f4 is the only bummer for me, but then the 110 f2 sounds terrific. I like the OIS on the 120. The 23 could be a third lens. I would probably concentrate on WR lenses.

ONLY 15 days to go until we know for sure. Could be the perfect backup cam for my XF as shooting in heavy rain at the Grand Canyon was a challenge to say the least.
Anything under f/4 for the zoomlens would make it much heavier, not to say, more expense. In my timezone 14 days to go ;-)

iiiNelson

Yeah I wish the 63mm was a f/2 and I agree that the zoom combined with the 23mm and the 110mm would make for a great kit. I think a X-T2 with a 50-140/2.8 would nicely cover the long stuff.

algrove

You are right. I have that 50-140 and it is nice with f2.8 and reasonable size.

Update--
This DJI buying Hasselblad will surely cause many pre-orders to at least rethink their situation until such time as DJI and HB tell the public of their future plans and the final direction of the company including the X1D commitment.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

You are right. I have that 50-140 and it is nice with f2.8 and reasonable size.

Update--
This DJI buying Hasselblad will surely cause many pre-orders to at least rethink their situation until such time as DJI and HB tell the public of their future plans and the final direction of the company including the X1D commitment.
I really wouldn't seriously consider the X1D further until I saw/heard about the next round of lenses personally. Looks like a great camera and the all black one is pure "sexiness" for a camera. Fuji seems to have a more exciting and complete lens lineup for now though.