The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX System

scott kirkpatrick

AccuRaw EXR can process the GFX Raw files, compressed or uncompressed. It's available for MacOS only. I just ran the roller coaster demo pic from DPReview through AccuRaw, and the detail at 100% is pretty awesome.

scott

dmward

Just got confirmation that Adorama is going to ship my 50S today.
If it arrives as anticipated I'll be able to do some testing with a model in studio Sunday.

jdphoto

Just got confirmation that Adorama is going to ship my 50S today.
If it arrives as anticipated I'll be able to do some testing with a model in studio Sunday.
Did you order native lenses too?
Also, I read somewhere that leaf shutter lenses will be good with adapter, but how does one mitigate the FP shutter of the GFX?

dmward

Did you order native lenses too?
Also, I read somewhere that leaf shutter lenses will be good with adapter, but how does one mitigate the FP shutter of the GFX?
I have the 120 and the zoom.
I also have a Fotodiox adapter to permit me using my Canon TSE lenses on the GFX 50S.
Its my understanding that I have to pre-set the aperture via a camera that controls the aperture function on the Canon lenses. That means, for me, using the Metabones adapter to set an aperture on the lens, then move it to the GFX.

It will be interesting to see how the 24 and 17 TSE lenses look on the GFX format. I also have the 45 and 90 but they are much less dramatic. Although their shift-ability will be useful to test.

I also still have a Canon 16-35L That might be worth testing via the adapter as well.

Since I am currently using Sony A7RII with these lenses it will be useful to see differences in performance.

dmward

Camera arrived on Wednesday.
I've not had a lot of time to get familiar.
Also received the Nissin Air 1 Commander for Fuji which is supposed to mate with and control the Di700A Speedlites I have that are the Sony Variant.
I just confirmed that the Fuji Air 1 will control the Sony Di700A lights for TTL. However, it does not support HSS.

Have a model shoot tomorrow (Sunday) and plan to use both the A7RII and the 50s. That will give me a chance to compare them in a real shooting situation.

So far I like the feel and responsiveness.

I liked the knobs and aperture ring approach that Fuji uses with the XT-1 and this camera is similar.

I also determined that the camera will fire a Godox XT1c or n trigger, which means I can use it with my XPLOR600 lights tomorrow.

Last edited:

dmward

HERE are a few NSFW images from my shoot yesterday. Used the 32-64 as well as the 120. It was a revelation to see how shallow the DoF is even at f5.6 or 8 with these lenses when the subject is close to the camera.

I find it hard to image a situation where I'd want an F1.4 lens, especially at a longer than normal focal length.

I had face detection and eye autofocus engaged. Even so, there were quite a few images where the camera caught focus on something else, and even though it was close, the face and eyes are soft enough to make the image a discard.

iiiNelson

Thanks for sharing David. Nice tonality to the images even at iPhone size. Over the last week using the A7RII recently made me realize that I should skip this round of MF mirrorless until they incorporate PDAF as well. Great cameras and I love the option and look but sometimes it's hard to go back to a first generation product when you have a refined and somewhat mature one that's not too much "worse."

dmward

Thanks for sharing David. Nice tonality to the images even at iPhone size. Over the last week using the A7RII recently made me realize that I should skip this round of MF mirrorless until they incorporate PDAF as well. Great cameras and I love the option and look but sometimes it's hard to go back to a first generation product when you have a refined and somewhat mature one that's not too much "worse."
I hear you. That's one of the difficult parts of deciding what to do. One thing I noticed during the shoot on Sunday. I was slower and more deliberate with the 50S compared to the A7RII.
That could just be the familiarity.

I have some ideas for comparison shooting that I'll try to accomplish over the next week. Then spend some time do detailed comparisons to help me make final decision.

dmward

HERE is a page where I compare the sharpening possibilities in Lightroom for GFX50s and Sony A7RII images shot of the same subject during the same shoot using similar lenses with the same lighting and camera settings.

And here is one of the images from the comparison.

Last edited:

dmward

If you can't wait for Godox to release a Fujifilm XT-1, HERE is an option.

I'm heavily invested in the Godox X system so I decided to order the roboSHOOT kit to test this capability.

If it works as shown with the Pro-2 in the video with my GFX50s I'll be happy. Will at least be a work around until Godox gets the Fuji XT-1 built and in the market.

Adorama sent a note that the item shipped. So, will be able to test Thursday or over the week end.

dmward

Just tested some beta firmware for RoboSHOOT MX-20 with Godox XT1n on a GFX50s.
It fired an AD200 in TTL and HSS.
HSS confirmed by no shutter curtain shadows up to 1/4000.
TTL confirmed by closing aperture from F4 to F8 without an exposure change on subject.

Lot's more testing to accomplish but at least the basic capabilities work.

jdphoto

I hear you. That's one of the difficult parts of deciding what to do. One thing I noticed during the shoot on Sunday. I was slower and more deliberate with the 50S compared to the A7RII.
That could just be the familiarity."

I think MFD/film in general tends to make photographers more deliberate in their compositions. I'm thankful for this approach as it feels more like an art form.