The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX System

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Opening up a new thread about the Fuji GFX System and hope to introduce lot of great discussions and exchange of thoughts here. And later hopefully also followed by some great samples :cool:

This is a promising new system and if the quality is close to the X System (and there is no doubt it will be even better) the GFX System will really rock! Plus it is an excellent complement to the existing X System that is already rocking!!! And Fuji is of course marketing this system exactly that way as you can see from the videos below:

Videos from Fujifilm Global about the GFX System

GFX challenges with Piet Van den Eynde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6KFm1sVYfI

GFX challenges with Natan Sans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsLDZ8trMPI

GFX challenges with Yinghui Wu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JIO5lYfbE8

GFX challenges with Itaru Hiram

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Q8JABy1YU

GFX challenges with Serkan Genes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgOXSHy-3YY

Jan

Great videos to watch, let's hope for a less chaotic release compared to Hasselblad.

algrove

Believe Fuji is watching the ill fated HB release of the X1D with great attention and trying not to duplicate this dismal mess. In fact, there is a chance the GFX could now be released within 30 days of ACTUAL deliveries of X1D in numbers.

algrove

Having sold my Pentaz 645Z, which I thought was a marvelous platform (with the Sony 50MP sensor) and system with the new Pentax lenses and my M cameras and lenses due to eyesight issues, I am now trying to hold to myself down to 2 systems-one for street/web/small prints with the XT2 and another for high quality landscape for large prints and plenty of crop space with the XF+100.

That being said, I do realize once I am like 75+ years (being right around the corner), lugging around that XF with 6 lenses will become more of an effort. So I would be leaning toward the GFX as I now have a good understanding of how I might use my XT2 in most street and other situations. I like the platform very much and as such could replace the XF with the GFX.

I have owned many HB systems and always enjoyed using them with great results, but after seeing and using the quality of build and lenses Fuji has produced for the XT2, I have no doubt the GFX will be of the same high quality, if not even better.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have shot HB for several years (both analog and recently digital) and have always been very happy with the results, especially the great lenses. We should not forget that the HB H platform uses lenses produced by Fuji, so there is no doubt that Fuji understands to build great glass.

After shooting the Fuji X system now for some while and finally ending up with the XT2 I must say I am absolutely satisfied with the results in all areas - sharpness, speed, dynamic range of course colors, but also AF speed and versatility of the meanwhile very complete system. If I compare it to my m43 system I must say that overall Fuji X is much more designed for real serious work and I would meanwhile choose Fuji X over any m43 system - well that's me .... So I am totally happy with Fuji X and this became my main system and will stay like that.

Having said that with my MF background I know there is something else. I tried to satisfy that with my Nikon D810 but although this is one of the best DSLRs I have ever seen it lacks capabilities one can get with MF. So this is why the GFX system looks so attractive for me - it will have almost all the features we know from the X system, but add on top of that medium format capabilities (resolution, DR, etc.) and all of that for a decent price with overall size not too bad for MF. So what is not to like about that.

Other MF systems are so far out of reach for me now that I do not even consider buying them used, especially Leica S. And also from what I know IQ one can get out of a Fuji system is pretty close if not even better than IQ getting out of a Leica system - and PLEASE I do not want to get into any religious discussions, but that is how I see it after shooting both Leica and Fuji (and almost anything else that was available over the past years). So the GFX system might very well become my new MFD system.

D&A

Doug, I'm staying on the "Hassy train" for now. Who knows when either will be readily available. The Fuji looks like an excellent platform [in theory]. While some compare the X1D and the GFX as equals, they're really not. Each has its own pluses and minuses. By mid-2017, we should know a lot more than we know now. How's that for a statement of the obvious? ;)

Captain Obvious
It may be obvious, but so true. There is of course crossover with regards to features, uses and style but these two systems I believe have somewhat different targeted markets. Same holds true to conventional OVF mirrored MFD systems from Hassy, Phase and Pentax when compared to each other.

All have strengths and weaknesses and one or more of these bodies and systems may be more conducive for use with certain applications than another. Same I believe will hold true when comparing the X1D with the GFX and their respective system of lenses and accessories.

Dave (D&A)

What I'm really curious to see is what adapters Fuji announces for the system to be available at launch. I had heard they were in talks with several manufacturers to build adaptors for their lenses.

algrove

If an adapter were to be available for my SK Blue Phase lenses then would get 2 GFX bodies and be done with it, for now. That 32-64 might be the only GFX lens I would need, except for maybe the 23 and the 120 or 110. You get it, GAS has already set in and the camera is only being talked about and not in customer hands yet, just like the X1D which has lenses shipped but no bodies as yet except for one pro customer who lives almost next to the HB factory.

Have not been following HB so did not realize that H platform lenses are made by Fuji. I rest my case.

Last edited:

D&A

Algrove wrote--->>>"You get it, GAS has already set in and the camera is only being talked about and not in customer hands yet, just like the X1D which has lenses shipped but no bodies as yet except for one pro customer who lives almost next to the HB factory."<<<

Louis if you'd like to be one of the 1st to receive a GFX off the assembly line, you know you could always consider moving to a place next to the Fuji factory! :). Sushi and sake should be wonderful while you wait for its release...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

algrove

Algrove wrote--->>>"You get it, GAS has already set in and the camera is only being talked about and not in customer hands yet, just like the X1D which has lenses shipped but no bodies as yet except for one pro customer who lives almost next to the HB factory."<<<

Louis if you'd like to be one of the 1st to receive a GFX's off the assembly line, you know you could always consider moving to a place next to the Fuji factory! :). Sushi and sake should be wonderful while you wait for its release...LOL!

Dave (D&A)
I'll have to brush up on my Japanese after the New Year. Maybe I could hike up Mt. Fuji while waiting. Maybe I'd bunp into some Hasselblad guys waiting to talk to Fuji MF lens developers.

Did you see that post on Fujirumors where the guy posting had sushi and sake with the GFX developer? The bottles looked like a nice backdrop.

D&A

I'll have to brush up on my Japanese after the New Year. Maybe I could hike up Mt. Fuji while waiting.

Did you see that post on Fujirumors where the guy posting had sushi and sake with the GFX developer? The bottles looked like a nice backdrop.
Lol..no I honestly didn't see that pic. What a cooincidence. Guess I had the right idea. While himing up Mt. Fuji, take some great pics with your XT-2 and present to the CEO of Fujim Thats sure to impress them and they'll probabaly throw in a few lenses when you pick up your body :).

Dave (D&A)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Which software would one use to develop the GFX files?
I would use Lightroom, as I assume it would also support film simulations in the develop module same as with the X system. And film simulations that can be applied to RAW files anytime after the shot are one of the main advantages of Fuji. Also LR supports RAW compressed.

C1P cannot do both so far and this is the main reason why I am no longer using it.