The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

50 Shades of Gray

iiiNelson

I prefer the dark graphite of the X-Pro 2 and I still believe that the Steel Grey M9 was one of the best looking cameras ever.

D&A

I prefer the dark graphite of the X-Pro 2 and I still believe that the Steel Grey M9 was one of the best looking cameras ever.
The steel grey was somewhat different but I grew to really like it. The issue though was that it wore terribly and not in a good way. The paint seemed prone to scratches and marks in a way that I hadn't seen other Leica M finishes mar, with many being in places not normally associated with attractive brassing. There were rumors that later in the run of this grey model, Leica altered the painting process and appeared to put a shinier protctive coat . I've noticed some bodies were shinier than others.

The M-E greyish-green on the other hand in my opinion doesn't look very attrative in pictures but in person looks extremely good. Leica might have taken motice of the grey issues as the paint used on the M-E is far more durable and resistant to maeks/scratches.

Dave (D&A)

iiiNelson

The steel grey was somewhat different but I grew to really like it. The issue though was that it wore terribly and not in a good way. The paint seemed prone to scratches and marks in a way that I hadn't seen other Leica M finishes mar, with many being in places not normally associated with attractive brassing. There were rumors that later in the run of this grey model, Leica altered the painting process and appeared to put a shinier protctive coat . I've noticed some bodies were shinier than others.

The M-E greyish-green on the other hand in my opinion doesn't look very attrative in pictures but in person looks extremely good. Leica might have taken motice of the grey issues as the paint used on the M-E is far more durable and resistant to maeks/scratches.

Dave (D&A)
Yeah I noticed the same with the Steel Gray finish. I was merely referring to the new ones being an attractive combo. As for the brassing, I guess I'd prefer my brassing from use versus buying that pre-brassed Lenny Kravitz edition although a cool concept on some level.