The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Problems with OIS ?

Thorkil

Hi
Anyone noticed problems with the OIS?
My dealer claimed the OIS could cause slightly more unsharp pictures compared to tuned of (given that you could achive sufficient shutterspeed)
My thought was that the stabilization was made by a sort of gyro-engine in the lens, but it appears to be some contra-shaking of lens-elements instead, using the AF-engine ???
Anyone tried out a test?
Thorkil

Shashin

There is no problem with OIS. It is designed to reduce hand shake while holding the camera. However, it is designed for being held. If you have your camera mounted to a tripod, turn it off. Technically the images will be sharper because the IS system can still move and in ways a tripod does not. Whether you can tell the difference, and IS has been in millions of cameras and no one is complaining, is another matter. BTW, this is a standard "warning" with camera IS systems. I was including this in Minolta manual from when their technology was released. I am sure other manufacturers do the same. And the dealers are usually informed.

Last edited:

Remko

Hi
Anyone noticed problems with the OIS?
My dealer claimed the OIS could cause slightly more unsharp pictures compared to tuned of (given that you could achive sufficient shutterspeed)
Thorkil
Hi Thorkil,

I can confirm that. One of my lenses (the 18-55 mm lens) is very unsharp in one of the corners. Looks like a case of de-centering. I have sent example pics to Fuji and one of the remarks I got back was that the unsharpness is amplified (if that is correct English, I am not a native speaker) when using OIS with higher shutter speeds hand held.
Of course this does not mean that the lens is okay, and Fuji's remark was not meant that way.

I then checked some images of which I knew that I had OIS on and the shutter speed was high enough to do without OIS. And indeed the unsharpness was significantly higher. Lesson learnt.

When I finally get my 16-55 mm f2.8 lens, that is backordered at Fuji for some time now, I will send in my 18-55 for having it corrected.

cheers,
Remko

Thorkil

Hi Thorkil,

I can confirm that. One of my lenses (the 18-55 mm lens) is very unsharp in one of the corners. Looks like a case of de-centering. I have sent example pics to Fuji and one of the remarks I got back was that the unsharpness is amplified (if that is correct English, I am not a native speaker) when using OIS with higher shutter speeds hand held.
Of course this does not mean that the lens is okay, and Fuji's remark was not meant that way.

I then checked some images of which I knew that I had OIS on and the shutter speed was high enough to do without OIS. And indeed the unsharpness was significantly higher. Lesson learnt.

When I finally get my 16-55 mm f2.8 lens, that is backordered at Fuji for some time now, I will send in my 18-55 for having it corrected.

cheers,
Remko
Hi Remko,
yes then the lesson must be, only to use it when you really need it for helping at low shutterspeed.
A quick test on the 10-24 brought clearly sharper pictures with the OIS on, than without, at 1/30.
So we better leave it off, when not needed for emergency.
Best Thorkil

Remko

Hi Thorkil,

Yes, that is indeed how I see it.

Happy shooting!
Remko

Hi Remko,
yes then the lesson must be, only to use it when you really need it for helping at low shutterspeed.
A quick test on the 10-24 brought clearly sharper pictures with the OIS on, than without, at 1/30.
So we better leave it off, when not needed for emergency.
Best Thorkil