The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Setting Canon TSE lenses to max aperture for use with GFX adapter?

dmward

I have a Fotodiox Canon EF to GFX adapter that I want to use to test my Canon TSE lenses.
However, when I turn off my A7RII with the lenses set to maximum aperture on the Metabones IV adapter the lens aperture closes to minimum.
How do I get the lenses to keep the aperture open to maximum and/or a specific aperture setting?

Thanks.

I no longer have a Canon body to test to see if they will lock the aperture.

dmward

someone on another forum came up with the answer.
Put the lens onto the A7RII and Metabones IV adapter.
Set the aperture, then remove the lens while the camera is on.
That sets the aperture when the lens is removed.

dmward

Now I have a problem. The solution listed above has quit working.

Someone posted a thread about how to "preset" the aperture using a Metabone IV adapter on a Sony A7RII.
Now, for some reason, I can't get it to work.

The key was to take the lens off the camera while powered on. When I do that now, the aperture is wide open.

If I take the lens off with the power off, the aperture is closed down.

Anyone with a suggestion? (Other than buying a Canon camera. :) )

Incidentally, same results with the Sigma MC-11

daf

Someone posted a thread about how to "preset" the aperture using a Metabone IV adapter on a Sony A7RII.

The key was to take the lens off the camera while powered on. When I do that now, the aperture is wide open.

You have to remove the lens during an exposure...so best is ro set the camera at 4s f11, shoot and remove the lens during the exposure...

Plesa share a raw of tje 24tse on the fuji ;)

CAMBOUSA

Another consideration could be the Cambo CA-GFX Adaptor. It has an electronic control system allowing for aperture to be set on the adapter itself without having to attach and remove.

https://www.cambo.com/en/actus-mini/cambo-actus-gfx-view-camera/ca-gfx/

Depending on where you are located, the initial batch is making it's way to dealers across the world. And they should become more common very soon.

But then again I may be a bit biased.

If I can answer any questions, please let me know!

V

Vivek

Half press the shutter on the A7R II and remove the lens (with the adapter and all, so that it is a one hand operation while half pressing the shutter) to keep the set aperture.

dmward

You have to remove the lens during an exposure...so best is ro set the camera at 4s f11, shoot and remove the lens during the exposure...

Plesa share a raw of tje 24tse on the fuji ;)
Here is a look at the field of view of the 17mm TSE centered

DMWF0818.jpg

And this is a 100% crop of the extreme upper left corner.

DMWF0818-2.jpg

HERE is a dropbox that includes full sized JPGs of the test images for all 4 TSE lenses. I also merged the three frames from each lens into a pano. I shifted each lens right and left to the 10mm line.

There are also images from a Canon 16-35 F2.8 L at 16, 35 and 24mm settings. I included a reference image from the Fujinon 32-64 at 32mm.

There is a raw file for the center frame of the 24mm TSE.

daf

Thanks a lot !

is there any CA correction applyed ?

Here is a look at the field of view of the 17mm TSE centered

View attachment 126413

And this is a 100% crop of the extreme upper left corner.

View attachment 126414

HERE is a dropbox that includes full sized JPGs of the test images for all 4 TSE lenses. I also merged the three frames from each lens into a pano. I shifted each lens right and left to the 10mm line.

There are also images from a Canon 16-35 F2.8 L at 16, 35 and 24mm settings. I included a reference image from the Fujinon 32-64 at 32mm.

There is a raw file for the center frame of the 24mm TSE.

daf

Thanks a lot again for those files ...
i had a very close inspection and i feel very dissappointed, all those files looks very bad to me, with smeared/stairstep aliasing ... i would not use any of those for professional work, except maybe the 17tse straight shot.
Not sure if it is due to oversharpness applyed + extra sharpness applyed to compensate the sharpness fall off or if it is due to the sensor design ...
I would be interested to have the 3 (Normal+10-10) 17mm raws to see
I had probabaly too much hope ;(

dmward

HERE is a drop box with the RAF files from the test yesterday with the 4 TSE lenses.
There is also another set from this morning. The second test has much more small detail around the edges and a brick driveway in the foreground.

dmward

Thanks a lot again for those files ...
i had a very close inspection and i feel very dissappointed, all those files looks very bad to me, with smeared/stairstep aliasing ... i would not use any of those for professional work, except maybe the 17tse straight shot.
Not sure if it is due to oversharpness applyed + extra sharpness applyed to compensate the sharpness fall off or if it is due to the sensor design ...
I would be interested to have the 3 (Normal+10-10) 17mm raws to see
I had probabaly too much hope ;(
I agree that the performance is less than I'd hoped.

Will have to do some more testing. Kind of hard to justify an adapter to adjust aperture if the lenses don't hold up with useful images.

Januarys_LP

thanks for the test,
but I assume that Tilt was not centered. please, forgive my ignorance if this is not the case, but looking at the plane of focus that was the first thing that came to my mind.

HERE is a drop box with the RAF files from the test yesterday with the 4 TSE lenses.
There is also another set from this morning. The second test has much more small detail around the edges and a brick driveway in the foreground.

dmward

thanks for the test,
but I assume that Tilt was not centered. please, forgive my ignorance if this is not the case, but looking at the plane of focus that was the first thing that came to my mind.
I'll have to look at the lenses. My intent was to have the tilt at its neutral point.

doc4x5

Do look at Lloyd Chambers blog for his comments on the use of non-Fuji lenses with the GFX. He seems to feel there's something about the GFX sensor that seriously degrades performance with adapted lenses, even the Otus. While I do not have a GFX, or Canon lenses, I do have a XT2 and Nikon PC-E's. I've had to permanently set the aperture, since I sold my last Nikon body, but they seem to work pretty well. To set the aperture one mounts the lens on a Nikon body, set the aperture, and remove the lens while holding the depth of field button. Good luck.
Eric