The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What camera/lens/s combo for travel.

rayyan

Hi there folks.

This topic has been beaten to death.
But there is life after death;)

With new air regulations..weight etc. I
need to re-evaluate what I need as a minimum
Smartphone is a given.

Let's limit it to 1 Fuji camera, and if you
Prefer, a small compact e.g rx100, lx100
And the like.

I have been satisfied, more or less, with
a xt1 or xpro2 and 35/1.4. But what use
Then of the lenses I bought?

Your thoughts? All responses are for sure
Personal choices. But we can all benefit from
The experience of others. Let's keep it digital.

Come on, give us your thoughts on this and
Let's have some fun.

Thanks.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I still like my XT2 with the kit zoom 18-55 for travel and I can add the 100-400 for whatever kind of telephoto tasks.

But recently I am kind of converting back towards m43 - sorry I do not want to hijack this thread - but m43 allows me so much more to carry with less weight and less space. Preferred for travel is my EM1.2 with 12-40 and 40-150, these lenses are sooooo sharp. I always carry my 1.4TC with me and might add the 7-14 in near future. All this just became feasible since the introduction of the EM1.2, because IQ out of that camera is just so good!

Shashin

Well, in regards to my X Pro2, I have the 23mm f/2, 14mm f/2.8, and a 90mm f/4. The 90mm is a Minolta M-Rokkor designed for the Minolta CLE. I use the Fuji M-Mount Adapter that allows the camera to recognize the lens. I could probably drop the 90mm as the other two lenses are used more (while small, it does weigh more than the other two combined). I could also drop the 14mm and still shoot most of what I do with the 23mm. If I were taking an ideal three-lens setup, I guess I would rather have the new 50mm f/2 rather than the 90mm. 90mm is rather long for me. The way I usually think of my lenses is I find my normal focal length and then I find a wide at about 0.6X that and a long at 2X that. But also the majority of my work is done with the normal.

rayyan

Thanks for your thoughts Peter. It is good that you introduced your em1 setup. It adds to the interest. And informs, me at least, what others have chooses and often why.

I have the Fuji 16-55 which I have never taken out of the house. To be honest, I might never take it on travels. Wonderful lens and all, but big, heavy. And with vr.

Just like the Nikon 24-120g vr. Makes the setup too heavy.

I like the Fuji 35/1.4, but don't seem to get on with the 56/1.2. Strange. Prefer the heavier 90, but too restrictive and heavy.

The wife just got herself a v-lux typ 114. 2 year old design, but....what the reach
...400mm equivalent.

I might just stick with the 35/1.4 and buy me a rx100 iv. They have a good deal on that here. ( I don't like Sony, but the rx100 is nice ).

Take care.

rayyan

Thanks Shashin.
The 14/2.8 is a really lovely lens and paired with the 23 would be nice. Maybe with the 35 too.

The 50/2 is much lighter than the 56, but while I like the Nikon 85/1.8...the Fuji
50 offerings don't gel with me. The 60mm is slow but a very good lens too.

Grateful for your opinion.
Kind regards.

Well, in regards to my X Pro2, I have the 23mm f/2, 14mm f/2.8, and a 90mm f/4. The 90mm is a Minolta M-Rokkor designed for the Minolta CLE. I use the Fuji M-Mount Adapter that allows the camera to recognize the lens. I could probably drop the 90mm as the other two lenses are used more (while small, it does weigh more than the other two combined). I could also drop the 14mm and still shoot most of what I do with the 23mm. If I were taking an ideal three-lens setup, I guess I would rather have the new 50mm f/2 rather than the 90mm. 90mm is rather long for me. The way I usually think of my lenses is I find my normal focal length and then I find a wide at about 0.6X that and a long at 2X that. But also the majority of my work is done with the normal.

Shashin

To be honest...

:worthless:

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Looks like I need to clean a lens...

fotoism

A Fuji newby's 2 cents:

Last October I traveled to Asia for 5 weeks and I took my daughter's X-T1 with a 16/1.4. I also brought along a Minolta 35-70 macro. Ended up I used the 16mm majority of the time and the 35-70 only very occasionally. A light package and never had problems going through airports - except I was made to check-in my 13.5 inch carbon fiber tripod with no metal spikes on the feet when I board at Taipei flying to Tokyo - the guys at x-ray took it out of my backpack and sent me back out front. :(

My other half has a point-and-shoot Lumix ZS50. No quite the same league as the X-T1 but anything looks more serious than that she wouldn't be interested. :rolleyes:

This combo works well for travelers/tourists as long as the subject matter is like scenery, street, people and other casual snaps. We even made a 120 page photobook out of this trip.:D

Last edited:

algrove

Agree the 16-55 is heavier than others, but it could be the ideal one lens setup.

Keep in mind the XF Red Label lenses like the 16-55 are better than Johnny Walker Red.

Just had a question on the little flash included with the XT2. Has anyone used it a fill flash for people? What settings do you use?

rayyan

Phil, cannot afford to buy the 16/1.4 at this time.

algrove, my friend, I can only take your word for the Johnny Walker.
But I can tell you for certain that the 16-55 is not one I can carry on travels. As to the drink, I am sure it too would be too heavy for me;)

I bought the 35/2, on impulse, but I doubt I shall use it. I much prefer the 35/1.4.
So the 14/2.8 and the 35/1.4 for a two lens set is doable.

Will, my macro-M 90/4 should do the trick for some reach!!

But that is 3 lenses + cam + RX100. Too much to carry for an old foggy..me.

Thanks once again for your participation. Seems there are only 4 Fuji ILC users :D

segedi

Just got back from a trip and took the X-T2 and 35/1.4. The lens wasn't wide enough for some things, so the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge filled in for the wide angles.

Overall, the combo was adequate, but... I wish I had a 23mm instead. Wanted to pick up the X100F before leaving, but thankfully (for my bank account) it wasn't in stock anywhere in the city.

Would really like to try out the 23/2. The size and weight seem nice and it would likely focus faster and more silently than the 35/1.4!

Have a fun trip - I'll try to sort through some shots this weekend and post something.

2WK

I usually travel with my Leica X vario and M-Monochrom with 50 summilux.
Both fit in a Large Crumpler Haven and then that stashes away in a simple backpack.
28 - 70mm covered with a fast 50 for fun. :lecture:

Sometimes I just travel with Film only. I'll bring the Mamiya 7ii with the 80mm.
A bunch of Trix, Portra and Delta 3200 for night.

...or a M6ttl with 35 nokton & the 50 summilux.

edit - sorry didn't realize it was a fuji thread..
(I used to own a Xpro1 if that helps me in anyway) :eek:

algrove

Just got back from a trip and took the X-T2 and 35/1.4. The lens wasn't wide enough for some things, so the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge filled in for the wide angles.

Overall, the combo was adequate, but... I wish I had a 23mm instead. Wanted to pick up the X100F before leaving, but thankfully (for my bank account) it wasn't in stock anywhere in the city.

Would really like to try out the 23/2. The size and weight seem nice and it would likely focus faster and more silently than the 35/1.4!

Have a fun trip - I'll try to sort through some shots this weekend and post something.
Love the 23/2. Small, light and AF. Who could ask for more.