The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With GFX

GeorgeB

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 2.12.38 PM.jpg
GFX 50s, Pentax 200 mm. FA LENS, Fotodiox Adapter, two images stitched.
Subject is ships screw, on display at Military Museums, Calgary, Alberta

dmward

Decided to start a B&W project today. Inspired by an ongoing project I worked on as a young photographer using film.
Here is one example.

and a gallery with some others.

dmward

Testing the extended shutter time capabilities with ND filters.
15 minutes, ISO 100, F11.

Here is the gallery with all the images.

jdphoto

Where are all the photographs?

This has to be the shortest thread considering this is a new, much touted MFD camera. I'm surprised there's not more photographs. I've considered the GFX, but have read in various places that the lenses are too sharp or the GFX's algorithm's make it too sharp when converting. I'm not a fan of overcooked images and would appreciate any owners thoughts about this camera system. The things that intrigue me are the crop MF sensor and weather resistance, but i'm not sure the differences are worth switching from a Sony A7rII.

Don Libby

Re: Where are all the photographs?

This has to be the shortest thread considering this is a new, much touted MFD camera. I'm surprised there's not more photographs. I've considered the GFX, but have read in various places that the lenses are too sharp or the GFX's algorithm's make it too sharp when converting. I'm not a fan of overcooked images and would appreciate any owners thoughts about this camera system. The things that intrigue me are the crop MF sensor and weather resistance, but i'm not sure the differences are worth switching from a Sony A7rII.
A very short answer to whether or not it would be worth switching from a Sony A7rII is yes. While my main system has been Phase One for many years I always carried another lightweight camera for scouting with the most recent one the A7rII. I made the switch from Sony to the GFX late March and have had no regrets whatsoever.

The GFX has the same sensor size as my first Phase back the P30+ and had great results with shooting landscape and nature. I see the GFX taking up where the P30 left off combining a great sensor in a lightweight, compact system. Okay, somewhat lightweight and somewhat compact system when comparing with my Phase One XF.

I've been shooting with 4-Fuji GF lens now and have had no issues with any. The 23mm, 32-64, 64, and 120 have all performed well wide open, as well as mid range (f/8-f/11). Likewise I've no issues with either auto or manual focusing although there was a learning curve for manual. Resolution of all the lenses have never left me wanting either. I'm also using an older Mania 200APO with and without a Schneider 2x converter using manual focus shooting hummingbirds of all things with very satisfying results.

I only capture in RAW and while a total pain the *** I process in Capture One after going through a two-part conversion system.

This might not answer all your questions but I hope it'll help. I've written several blogs regarding the GFX and shared images there. This camera initially was going to just replace my Sony as a walk-around scouting camera and quickly became much more as it has allows me to produce images that have been printed and sold.

Don

Shashin

Re: Where are all the photographs?

I'm surprised there's not more photographs.
I would check the "Fun with MF" thread for more photographs in the Medium-Format section of the forum. You will also find more Pentax 645D/Z images in that thread than in the Pentax section.