The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Increased diopter correction for GFX EVF

fotophil

The eyepiece on the Fuji GFX EVF can be adjusted to a -4 diopter value. Unfortunately my right eye requires a -6.5 correction. Rather than having to use my glasses when shooting, I added a -3 diopter lens so that I can properly adjust the GFX EVF to correct for my vision. Although most of the camera manufactures offer some type of corrective lens, the diopter lens size of the Canon fits the GFX.

I used a Canon -3 Diopter from a Canon 1DS Mk 3 which is available from B&H (B&H # CADALEG3 MFR # 2198B001) for $34.95. The diopter is also available in -1, -2 and -4 strengths. In order to remove the glass from the Canon Fitting, it is necessary to remove the plastic structure surrounding the lens. The glass lens is thin and brittle so great care must be taken to remove the plastic without damaging the glass. I used a Dremel Tool with abrasive cutting wheels to remove the plastic. Cut the plastic completely and don't try to force the glass out of the assembly. To install the diopter, remove the rubber eyecup from the GFX and slide the lens over the existing lens. The rubber eyecup will securely hold the new lens in place but since the eyecup doesn't fully lock into place I secured it with a plastic cable tie.. I hope the Fuji Factory offers diopters in the future for a cleaner installation, but the Canon lens will have to work in the meantime.

dmward

I've tried a couple of times to set the diopter on a camera so I could see the view finder clearly without my glasses. That worked. The problem was that when I took the camera away from my eye for any reason I had to put on my glasses to see whatever else I needed. That turned out to be enough of a pain that I now deal with not seeing quite all the field of view in the view finders.

That's another item for the manufacturers to consider, making the aperture of the view finder sufficiently large to enable glasses wearing photographers to see the entire image field.

Your solution, while DIY, sounds good if one needs the added alteration.

fotophil

I've tried a couple of times to set the diopter on a camera so I could see the view finder clearly without my glasses. That worked. The problem was that when I took the camera away from my eye for any reason I had to put on my glasses to see whatever else I needed. That turned out to be enough of a pain that I now deal with not seeing quite all the field of view in the view finders.

That's another item for the manufacturers to consider, making the aperture of the view finder sufficiently large to enable glasses wearing photographers to see the entire image field.

Your solution, while DIY, sounds good if one needs the added alteration.
A larger viewing aperture on the view finder would help viewing with eye glasses.