The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help Needed

Dogs857

Firstly my apologies.

I am shockingly bad at finding stuff using the search function. I do try, honestly I do. I am after some advice and help from those of you who have used the X-Pro1 and 2.

Since having my first born I have come to realise just how much extra crap we now need to cart everywhere just to keep this little man alive. I can get by on 2 shirts and a set of pants yet he seems to need suitcases full of gear. Sadly this has meant that a lot of my personal gear is jettisoned in favour of brightly coloured rugs and nappies and God knows what else. I blame me years of frugal packing, I'm sure my wife has been setting me up for a long time.

Anyway the crux of the matter is that my current DLSR setup is not what I would consider baby friendly. Not only do I no longer have the space for all that gear, but a Df with all manual focus glass does not keep up with little people and my wife is constantly complaining that I never take enough photos of her and the baby. Buying all new auto focus glass will cost a bomb and I am taking the opportunity to downsize in order to stand a chance of actually taking photos on any trips we may do. Enter the Fuji. Small, light and excellent IQ, whats not to like. Add into this mix that I have a small landscape photography business going as well and I need the IQ to keep producing semi attractive photos to sell to potential clients. I am well served by the Df on that front so don't feel I would lose too much moving to Fuji. I print in what I like to call "regular or sensible" sizes. Namely 15x20 or 16x24 and 40" panoramas.

So here is the dilemma. I have given myself an initial budget of $2500 (Aussie dollars) for a new setup. This is what I should comfortably get for my current setup. For this I could buy the following;

Fuji X-Pro1 (new, I know still available) 14mm 2.8 and 23mm 2.0
Fuji X-Pro2 (second hand still under warranty) 23mm 2.0 (this will go over budget but not by so much that it will cause a divorce)
Fuji x100f (new) plus both converters.

Obviously buying the X-Pro1 lets me get more gear, but I lose the weather sealing and all the new goodies that go with the version 2. The X100f is my least favourite option but still on the table. It gives me the latest version and sensor along with a 28-35-50 set of lenses.

Weather sealing is a concern but not a deal breaker. I have used plenty of gear that wasn't weather sealed in less than ideal conditions and never really had a problem. The difference between the X-Pro1 and 2 is just under $1000, not an insignificant amount, and enough to get me the 14mm in the mix.

My current thinking is this. Buy the X-Pro1 and lenses and use it for the next 2-3 years. Then when the X-Pro3 is announced I can decide if I want to buy the 2 or go for the newer model then.

My question is this. For those who have used the X-Pro1 and 2, is it worth the extra $1000?? Are the differences between the models that significant that it would be worth my while to buy the 2 now and try the whole "one camera one lens one year" thing while I try and save money for my wide lens?? This used to be easy, but all my extra dough seems to go down the baby well at the moment.

I know that this can be a very personal and subjective question. My other problem is that I live in a remote part of Australia and we don't have camera stores here that I can just pop into and try stuff out. My nearest camera store is a 2 hour flight from here and I will not be travelling that way again for a few months now.

Any advice you can give would be most appreciated.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Get the XPro2 and forget the rest. There are lightyears between the Xpro1 and the XPro2 and the X100F is nice but would never make up a system

Just my 5c

Peter

PS: I am very happy with my XT2 and would never exchange it with the XPro1 which I owned some years ago - two totally different cameras!

iiiNelson

Unless you want the rangefinder form factor, my vote goes for the X-T2, the kit lens (18-55/2.8-4) and maybe of of the less expensive primes in a focal length not covered by the zoom (you may can even find this used) may work out well for you. Before you scoff because most do when mentioning kit lenses, the kit zoom is actually pretty impressive. I prefer primes myself but having zooms are great for erratically moving subject, size when compared to a bag of primes, and while on a tighter budget. The X-T2 is a lot more functional than the X-Pro2 IMO and there were some significant upgrades made to it that it almost feels like it should be the camera that's higher up on the totem pole.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Unless you want the rangefinder form factor, my vote goes for the X-T2, the kit lens (18-55/2.8-4) and maybe of of the less expensive primes in a focal length not covered by the zoom (you may can even find this used) may work out well for you. Before you scoff because most do when mentioning kit lenses, the kit zoom is actually pretty impressive. I prefer primes myself but having zooms are great for erratically moving subject, size when compared to a bag of primes, and while on a tighter budget. The X-T2 is a lot more functional than the X-Pro2 IMO and there were some significant upgrades made to it that it almost feels like it should be the camera that's higher up on the totem pole.
Could not agree more WRT XT2. I love this camera!

Having said that, I would not hesitate to add a XPro2 to my Fuji kit as this would be kind of my perfect street shooting companion :cool:

Yes and the kit zoom is fantastic!

iiiNelson

Could not agree more WRT XT2. I love this camera!

Having said that, I would not hesitate to add a XPro2 to my Fuji kit as this would be kind of my perfect street shooting companion :cool:

Yes and the kit zoom is fantastic!
I like the X-Pro 2 a whole lot until I got my hands on it. I think it's a fantastic camera and clearly can produce impressive results but there were a few things about it that stopped me from buying it last year.

1) I really disliked the ergonomics of the camera
2) I disliked the multifunction stacked dials. Everything seemed to be crammed into the top of the camera. I prefer more direct controls.
3) the camera is missing a tilting/articulating screen.
4) the X-T2 seems to be almost from a different generation as I would've preferred Fuji delay the X-Pro 2 by a few months to "get it all right" like they did with the X-T2.

Dogs857

Thanks fellas, I love this forum.

I was looking at the X-Pro bodies as I have a gen1 x100 and they are a slightly upscaled version of that. It gave me something to go off.

I will scrap the X-Pro1 idea and do some research on the X-T2 as well. Honestly I have been shooting with prime lenses for so long now I don't know how I feel about using a zoom but you never know. Fuji have a reputation for making excellent glass so I will check it out.

Shashin

If you like optical viewfinders and primes, then the X Pro2 is a really nice camera. The 23mm f/2 is a nice lens. I use that most of the time and the combination is fast and really, really quiet (turn on the electronic shutter and it is silent). I have not had any problems with the controls other reviewers complained about--if you don't like turning the ISO dial, you can have three auto ISO settings on the function button next to the shutter release button. ISO then is easy to change. I don't find the camera cluttered. I don't bump the exposure compensation dial or diopter. It is one of the most satisfying cameras I have owned. This is my first Fuji camera.

The XT2 looks like a great camera also. I just don't like EVFs. You could get the 23mm with the XT2, which would make a compact system. There is also the X20 which is a paired down XT2.

I would really get your hands on the cameras and try them out. They are different enough not to be comparable. Which is "better" is really personal.

BTW, I would keep your eye out for Fujifilm rebates. When I bought my X Pro2 then had a lens rebate on the 14mm. I would imagine these rebates are seasonal. Perhaps something will come up. You can find out here: http://www.fujifilmcamerasavings.com

Dogs857

Thank you everyone.

I have got a lightly used second hand X-Pro2 on its way here now with a new 35mm 2.0

I had a good look at the XT-2 but the EVF only finder threw me off. I only have one good eye left and I'm not too sure that having it jammed up against a little tv screen all the time will keep it in good working order. I like the hybrid screen on my X100 so I think the X-Pro2 is the way to go.

I know lots of people like the 23mm lens but I have grown quite fond of the 50mm focal length so went for the 35 instead. I will keep an eye out for a second hand 23 as well and see how I go.

This is the most excited I have been about buying a new camera in a very long time.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Paul2660

Pick up the 57mm if you can also. Older design, and AF is a bit quirky, but amazingly sharp and great bokeh.

Paul Caldwell

archiM44

Thank you everyone.

I have got a lightly used second hand X-Pro2 on its way here now with a new 35mm 2.0

I had a good look at the XT-2 but the EVF only finder threw me off. I only have one good eye left and I'm not too sure that having it jammed up against a little tv screen all the time will keep it in good working order. I like the hybrid screen on my X100 so I think the X-Pro2 is the way to go.

I know lots of people like the 23mm lens but I have grown quite fond of the 50mm focal length so went for the 35 instead. I will keep an eye out for a second hand 23 as well and see how I go.

This is the most excited I have been about buying a new camera in a very long time.

Thanks again for the assistance.
Perfect choice, congratulations.
I Have the 35mm/f2 and the 50mm/f2 as well as the 23mm/f2. But, I bought the x100f and for the 23mm field of view, I could pass on the 23mm/f2 lens. Center image quality is at least as good if not better. than the 23mm lens, and the soft corners of the x100f lens at f2 are no poblem when stopped down 1 or 2 stops.The x100f works and performs like a smaller x-pro2. Add a WCL100 and you have an 28mm equivalent and with the digital "zoom" in the x100F the perfect travel camera. Reminds me of my old Leica CL.

Charles2

... I have got a lightly used second hand X-Pro2 on its way here now with a new 35mm 2.0
Now that you have made your major decision, here is something to keep in mind. When you want to add different focal lengths, consider legacy manual focus primes on generic adapters. There are high quality but inexpensive lenses available. Of course, they are manual focus, so your intended use should be compatible, for example, wide angle landscapes, short tele for portrait and such, macro, etc.