The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji XT2, Bokeh and other Qualities

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thought I start a new thread, as there is so much discussion about bokeh and how good and fast (non Fuji) cameras are in other threads, that the wonderful, very capable and also fast combo of the XT2 and the 100-400 should not be forgotten!

The XT2 with the 100-400 is still my universal dream combo!

2017-05-30_0002.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2017-05-30_0003.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

2017-05-30_0007.jpg by ptomsu, on Flickr

Stay tuned for more, and I do hope I encourage other posts to show the qualities of such combos in this thread :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Do you use jpeg straight out of camera or do you still post process? TIA.
Hi Phil,

I am using LR6 to process compressed RAWs. Is more convenient to my workflow. I then apply whatever Film Simulation I like best, is much easier to judge on my MacBook Pro (I have profiled it) than on the camera EVF or LCD.

But would not mind to use also JPEGs, and have done so already often.

jdphoto

Peter, amazing detail in these pics! Very natural, but vibrant colors too. I've been on the fence about the Xt2, i've had the Sony A7rII, The Leica Q, a Nikon D800, and a couple of Hasselblad's and a Phase one DF. The only cameras that stood out to me were the Nikon and the Leica Q. All the others were bland and outdated and the depreciation was breathtaking! The Q is a fantastic camera, but limited obviously, with it's fixed lens and no weather resistance, otherwise i'd keep it. The D800 was perfect, clunky yes, but with just the right amount of resolution and incredible dynamic range. However, the Fuji Xt2 seems to fuse all those elements I miss in a beautiful film-like camera with a varied assortment of lenses. I'm printing 16x20 to 20x30 and the Fuji simply shines here! I've missed many a shot because my FL was too wide. I've considered the 50-140mm WR, but will now consider the 100-400mm WR and a TC. Keep up the great work!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter, amazing detail in these pics! Very natural, but vibrant colors too. I've been on the fence about the Xt2, i've had the Sony A7rII, The Leica Q, a Nikon D800, and a couple of Hasselblad's and a Phase one DF. The only cameras that stood out to me were the Nikon and the Leica Q. All the others were bland and outdated and the depreciation was breathtaking! The Q is a fantastic camera, but limited obviously, with it's fixed lens and no weather resistance, otherwise i'd keep it. The D800 was perfect, clunky yes, but with just the right amount of resolution and incredible dynamic range. However, the Fuji Xt2 seems to fuse all those elements I miss in a beautiful film-like camera with a varied assortment of lenses. I'm printing 16x20 to 20x30 and the Fuji simply shines here! I've missed many a shot because my FL was too wide. I've considered the 50-140mm WR, but will now consider the 100-400mm WR and a TC. Keep up the great work!
You used quite a number of very capable cameras! But I did as well and still am doing so. Having said this, the XT2 is something very special, for all different genres. With the right lenses available from Fuji one can easily span almost everything with exceptional IQ and also optimised for the different situations. You will not go wrong with the X system. One of the big advantages is that'll it is based around APSC and IMHO this is the sweet spot today when using the right sensor and lenses - speak Fuji .... this makes an overall still much more compact and light system than any FF system like the Sony FE mount.

I am doing a lot of wildlife safari photography in Africa and my current system of choice is the X system - XT2 with mainly 100-400. This way I almost do not need to change lenses and have a 150-600 FF equivalent with the 100-400 - just perfect! No need to change lenses in the very often pretty dirty environments you have to work in as a wildlife photographer. As a second lens I am currently using the 18-55, but might replace that with a 1.4/16 and maybe a 2/23 - still a very compact combo.

The other choice I have for this genre is the Olympus EM1.2 paired with the 40-150 PRO and the TC1.4. This is definitely an even more compact system, but although the IQ is very good, the edge goes still to the Fuji combo. Horses for courses.

fotoism

Amazing colors and detail, plus a most lovely model!

I by chance used an X-T1 on a long trip and was very impressed by its performance although I had only one Fuji lens with me (a 16mm). With my eyes slowly getting behind my brain I am exploring what I should move to from my M cameras. Fuji is definitely up there.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just another blogpost I found describing very nicely why many prefer APSC over FF for portraiture - I could not say it better!

https://fujilove.com/plot-twist-why-i-prefer-shooting-portraits-with-aps-c-over-full-frame/

Having shot in the past different FF solutions from Leica Noctilux 1/50, 2/90, 1.4/75 on a FF Leica M's, Canon 1.2/85 on a D5m2, Nikon 1.4/85 several iterations on D3, D800e and D810, I could not agree more - I highly prefer the results I get from a Fuji 1.2/56 or 2/90 on any of the Fuji X bodies.

rayyan

Peter, I came across this thread of yours.

Simply marvelous. And the model is stunning.

Really enjoyed viewing the images.

Bravo, my friend.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks all for the likes!

My model is my lovely daughter and I am doing lot of shoots with her :D

Fact is that meanwhile I have completely switched to m43 (Olympus EM1.2 and PRO lenses) and I do achieve very similar results with that system alone.

But that does not mean I would not go back into Fuji X one day - maybe with the X-T3 as soon as it is announced or the X-H1 and - well again with some lenses I already owned and loved - the 18-55, 100-400, 1.4 35, 1.4 23 and 1.2 56. I would probably add over time the 2.8 80 and the 1.4 16. I think I am crazy but at the bottom of my heart I still love Fuji very much and actually miss it!