The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Giving X-E3 a spin

krist8

I think the X-E3 has traded the tilting screen for smaller body. I was not too happy without the tilting screen, but eventually accepted it and use the Fuji Remote Camera app on my iphone when I want to shoot low or high or discrete street shootings. The firmware update yesterday and today has improved geotagging (supposedly, since I do not have a chance to try it yet).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
How is the viewfinder?

I've been offered a mint X-E3 for a good price, and consider it, but I worry about the viewfinder:

- Size
- Resolution
- The absence of a viewfinder eyecup

I currently use a GX8 with the extended eyecup, so I'm rather spoiled in this regard. Also, in addition to native Fuji lenses, I would be using it with a Metabones Speed Booster and some of my OM Zuiko lenses, which would mean manual focusing.

Norm N

Jorgen,

The X-E3 is my most used camera, and I’m a glass wearing lefty. The viewfinder is okay, good color and sharp. But with glasses you may have to move you eye puple to see the corners of the frame. The first example of the 16-50mm zoom is a really good walk around lens. (See Lenstip review) and can be found for $100 or so. I can’t help with Metabones, but I do use M mount lenses successfully. I often go out with just the 23mm and 50mm F2 lenses.

Good luck,
Norm

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen,

The X-E3 is my most used camera, and I’m a glass wearing lefty. The viewfinder is okay, good color and sharp. But with glasses you may have to move you eye puple to see the corners of the frame. The first example of the 16-50mm zoom is a really good walk around lens. (See Lenstip review) and can be found for $100 or so. I can’t help with Metabones, but I do use M mount lenses successfully. I often go out with just the 23mm and 50mm F2 lenses.

Good luck,
Norm
Thanks Norm. Do you happen to know what the maximum adjustment for the diopter control is?

Tim

Everything depends on the individual taste and preferences. I hear your points. I just hesitate for myself to add the XE3 to my arsenal, because I fear that it will be not really a significant enough added value for me compared to my GX85/GX80 (I sold already my GM5).

In many areas the XE3 would be even a step back compared to my GX80/85 (UI, faster AF speed & better reliability also in low light, touchscreen UI/setting options in menu, tilting screen, IBIS, lens size & weight even with FFL etc.).

I do not know wheter the step up in IQ of the XE3 is big enough to justify this.
I've never liked the software lens distortion correction method that m43 cameras use.
IMO the X-E3 IQ is much better due to Fuji's lenses that are designed right from the start.

tcdeveau

I just picked up a used X-E3 as a family cam slash "camera that will easily fit into a diaper bag". It's a lot smaller and more plastic-y than I anticipated, almost too small for my hands. I may need to look into getting the grip just for comfort. I definitely prefer the body of my wife's X-T1, but the X-E3 is lighter and cheaper than the X-Pro2 or X-T2, and I didn't want to buy another X-T1 or an X-T2/X-Pro2 with the X-T3 (and X-Pro3 maybe?) probably right around the corner.

Other than that it does what it is supposed to. I'm still not a fan of Fuji's menu system but what can you do.

I played around with it and the 35mm f1.4 a little yesterday, here's an obligatory test shot of one of my cats using the Acros simulation (more specifically Acros G I think?) SOOC (f1.4, ISO 3200 I think?):

IMG_1926.jpg

Have a 56mm 1.2 on the way and I look forward to testing that combo

Shashin

I'm still not a fan of Fuji's menu system but what can you do.
Move functions to buttons and setup the "My Menu." I almost everything I need is taken care of that way. I only wish delete could be moved to My Menu. But what can you do.

Note: the idea of a camera in the diaper bag is a little disturbing. But I guess if you take a cr@ppy photo, you have an excuse...

tcdeveau

Move functions to buttons and setup the "My Menu." I almost everything I need is taken care of that way. I only wish delete could be moved to My Menu. But what can you do.

Note: the idea of a camera in the diaper bag is a little disturbing. But I guess if you take a cr@ppy photo, you have an excuse...
Good advice, thanks.

Sorry for the visual and you're right! My wife and I's first child is due in October, and I meant more that I needed a small camera that's easy to throw in a bag with all the other baby stuff when we go places. At least wouldn't have to worry about anyone stealing it out of a diaper bag haha

56mm arrived yesterday, here are some more samples with the cats and dog with the 56mm and X-E3. f1.2 and ISO 3200, acros g sim SOOC. Missed focus a bit on the first one but what can you do IMG_1949.jpgIMG_1944.jpgIMG_1943.jpg

raist3d

Hi Ricardo,

your last posting in this thread is from April. Did you keep the XE3?
Apologies, I just read this (you would have had to send me a direct message to notice earlier- sorry).

I still have the X-E3 but I did end up buying a GX9 also, and decided to head that direction for two reasons
- Olympus 75mm 150mm equivalent focal prime
- Tilt Screen
- at night if you use silent shutter (gx9 or E3) you risk banding from lights frequencies. The GX9 has a *very* quiet shutter, which I like (Ironically the Fuji X-H1 has a ridiculously quiet mechanical shutter).

The Fuji little primes are fantastic, but once you get to 90+mm equivalent focals the lenses grow up very fast. That said, the new announced Fuji F4 zoom 12-80 (or is it 14-80?) looks like it may cover that for me, as long as it's not too big and is good.

Now, another issue I am having is that I think m43rds may very well face some truly tough times ahead. Given the X-E3 covers a lot of the ranges I use, maybe with that lens I can deal.

So thinking for a second X-E3 but the truth is the #1 thing that will help me the most for my photography is to pick one and use it, and focus on that.

So with the m43rds facing tough times ahead, makes me feel like Maybe I should sell what I have and focus on Fuji, but that choice hasn't been made yet. Most of my shots lately are all GX9.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Apologies, I just read this (you would have had to send me a direct message to notice earlier- sorry).

I still have the X-E3 but I did end up buying a GX9 also, and decided to head that direction for two reasons
- Olympus 75mm 150mm equivalent focal prime
- Tilt Screen
- at night if you use silent shutter (gx9 or E3) you risk banding from lights frequencies. The GX9 has a *very* quiet shutter, which I like (Ironically the Fuji X-H1 has a ridiculously quiet mechanical shutter).

The Fuji little primes are fantastic, but once you get to 90+mm equivalent focals the lenses grow up very fast. That said, the new announced Fuji F4 zoom 12-80 (or is it 14-80?) looks like it may cover that for me, as long as it's not too big and is good.

Now, another issue I am having is that I think m43rds may very well face some truly tough times ahead. Given the X-E3 covers a lot of the ranges I use, maybe with that lens I can deal.

So thinking for a second X-E3 but the truth is the #1 thing that will help me the most for my photography is to pick one and use it, and focus on that.

So with the m43rds facing tough times ahead, makes me feel like Maybe I should sell what I have and focus on Fuji, but that choice hasn't been made yet. Most of my shots lately are all GX9.

- Ricardo
Whatever your decision is or will be - do not base it on the talks about m43 becoming a niche or being dead. This is not true and you describe one of the main reasons why - as soon as you get into 90mm territory with Fuji (APSC) lenses are becoming quite large and heavy, much more than m43.

See also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=QENq5UETc3U

Peter

raist3d

Whatever your decision is or will be - do not base it on the talks about m43 becoming a niche or being dead. This is not true and you describe one of the main reasons why - as soon as you get into 90mm territory with Fuji (APSC) lenses are becoming quite large and heavy, much more than m43.

See also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=QENq5UETc3U

Peter
Well I do think m43rds could die if Olympus and Panasonic play this wrong. Think about this- how big is really the market for telephotos in m43rds? i.e. usually wildlife, sports... If that market was say even 30%, that shrinks its market quite a bit, and that's something m43rd can't afford.

I can't see anyone in their right mind buying an EM1 mKII with a Pro F1.2 Olympus prime, with the Nikon Z around. They are almost the same size, and the Z will have many many advantages in that scenario.

Ditto for Fuji, and comparing even with say a Fuji XT3, which is quite great.

However all that said, I think the most important to think is- so let's say m43rds died... so what? If the GX9 has enough DR/color/files that are nice- which It think it does- then I should just look at it to what brings to the table that I like over say the Fuji.

In the end both are great cameras. I just really wish Panasonic did a "GM9" but that's not happening.

- Ricardo

raist3d

By the way on Panasonic's claim on m43rds - sure. I mean, Olympus and Panasonic both made themselves many claims in the 4/3rds era too, and where did 4/3rds end? Though perhaps not as bold / defensive, but you can't expect Panasonic to simply keep quiet on that given that's their current product line up.

In find the FF standard they are going very interesting- because while I do think they nominally won't leave m43rds, if the going gets real tough, they can do it now pretty quickly.

Do I think m43rds could survive? yes, but Olympus and Panasonic have to play to the system's strength. Olympus for one should not be releasing a new pro body any bigger than the OMD EM5 MKII. While they are at it, they should weather-seal the smaller primes and maybe even revisit their formula for better tolerance- in particular for that 45mm F1.8 which seems to vary so much wide open per copy, and eliminate more CA's or such.

Make a super pro no holds barred OMD EM5 MKIII with Pdaf, and price it say $1700 USD Tops. I think the size proposition will make a big case for it.

With Panasonic- beef up the GX9 to weather sealing. Fix those dials that seem to get dirty and jumpy so quick. Would be awesome if they did a GM9, but I can understand if the GM5 never sold well, why they are so shy.

I would totally buy a GM9 *tomorrow* if it came out. It's the camera I really really want. I know that much.

- Ricardo

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well I do think m43rds could die if Olympus and Panasonic play this wrong. Think about this- how big is really the market for telephotos in m43rds? i.e. usually wildlife, sports... If that market was say even 30%, that shrinks its market quite a bit, and that's something m43rd can't afford.

I can't see anyone in their right mind buying an EM1 mKII with a Pro F1.2 Olympus prime, with the Nikon Z around. They are almost the same size, and the Z will have many many advantages in that scenario.

Ditto for Fuji, and comparing even with say a Fuji XT3, which is quite great.

However all that said, I think the most important to think is- so let's say m43rds died... so what? If the GX9 has enough DR/color/files that are nice- which It think it does- then I should just look at it to what brings to the table that I like over say the Fuji.

In the end both are great cameras. I just really wish Panasonic did a "GM9" but that's not happening.

- Ricardo
As soon as you think about longer telephoto lenses (primes and zooms) the advantage of m43 will always stay. And there are also many people who do no longer want to carry heavy FF equipment around - at least when they travel for leisure - me belonging meanwhile to that group. So when I go on vacation with my family I definitely will prefer a m43 camera with 1 or 2 lenses (for me preferably Olympus PRO zooms) and call it a day. Also for the price of the Z7 alone you could get an EM1.2 with 12-40 AND 40-150 PRO lenses .... so there are obviously many advantages to m43.

For the more professional (better call it semi professional) photographer in me I definitely would go with a Z7 and some selected S-line glass. That would for sure be great when I want and need better DR and high ISO etc. I am actually visiting a Nikon Z7 presentation later today here in Vienna and can hold and play the Z7 for the first time - will see how I finally like it in my hands.

But again - I am pretty confident that m43 is not dead, there will be some shifts in m43 land and I guess overall cameras will become cheaper again as more FF mirrorless completion is around - which is finally great for us customers!

This is a link to a video where Panasonic clearly states that m43 is here to stay ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlKGhYvpDc0

Last edited:

iiiNelson

As soon as you think about longer telephoto lenses (primes and zooms) the advantage of m43 will always stay. And there are also many people who do no longer want to carry heavy FF equipment around - at least when they travel for leisure - me belonging meanwhile to that group. So when I go on vacation with my family I definitely will prefer a m43 camera with 1 or 2 lenses (for me preferably Olympus PRO zooms) and call it a day. Also for the price of the Z7 alone you could get an EM1.2 with 12-40 AND 40-150 PRO lenses .... so there are obviously many advantages to m43.

For the more professional (better call it semi professional) photographer in me I definitely would go with a Z7 and some selected S-line glass. That would for sure be great when I want and need better DR and high ISO etc. I am actually visiting a Nikon Z7 presentation later today here in Vienna and can hold and play the Z7 for the first time - will see how I finally like it in my hands.

But again - I am pretty confident that m43 is not dead, there will be some shifts in m43 land and I guess overall cameras will become cheaper again as more FF mirrorless completion is around - which is finally great for us customers!
The real factor that will keep Micro 4/3 relevant is pricing and marketing. We are past the days of $2,000 flagship Micro 4/3 bodies (outside of specialized niche products like the GH series that offered some no other camera had at the time). The most expensive Micro 4/3 bodies are going to need to top out in the $12-1500 range or consumers will automatically self select for a bigger sensor and lenses. The other factor is that companies are keeping the “outdated” model on the market to sell new units downmarket which helps the company themselves and they don’t have to spend R&D money on new stripped down models. For instance a person can still buy a new A7RII for about the same price as a EM1 or GH5 or they can choose a A7III for about the same price. Fuji was smart to price the XT3 cheaper (and cut the price of the XT2 to ~$1k with a kit lens) because I think they see the writing on the wall that cameras are going to keep getting cheaper in the more competitive near future. I think Panasonic is going to have to price the S1 around that $1800-2000 mark to be very successful and I think the S1R needs to be aggressively priced in the $2500-3000 range to undercut the mindshare of Canon, Nikon, and Sony.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The real factor that will keep Micro 4/3 relevant is pricing and marketing. We are past the days of $2,000 flagship Micro 4/3 bodies (outside of specialized niche products like the GH series that offered some no other camera had at the time). The most expensive Micro 4/3 bodies are going to need to top out in the $12-1500 range or consumers will automatically self select for a bigger sensor and lenses. The other factor is that companies are keeping the “outdated” model on the market to sell new units downmarket which helps the company themselves and they don’t have to spend R&D money on new stripped down models. For instance a person can still buy a new A7RII for about the same price as a EM1 or GH5 or they can choose a A7III for about the same price. Fuji was smart to price the XT3 cheaper (and cut the price of the XT2 to ~$1k with a kit lens) because I think they see the writing on the wall that cameras are going to keep getting cheaper in the more competitive near future. I think Panasonic is going to have to price the S1 around that $1800-2000 mark to be very successful and I think the S1R needs to be aggressively priced in the $2500-3000 range to undercut the mindshare of Canon, Nikon, and Sony.
I could not agree more!

Again - excellent news for us customers!

iiiNelson

I could not agree more!

Again - excellent news for us customers!
Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if Olympus ends up having to jump on the E-Mount wagon (given Sony’s investment into Olympus and the E-mount standard easily being shared with others) but there’s a legitimate concern that their new soon to be announced flagship may price itself out of consideration for anyone that isn’t already an Olympus owner.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if Olympus ends up having to jump on the E-Mount wagon (given Sony’s investment into Olympus and the E-mount standard easily being shared with others) but there’s a legitimate concern that their new soon to be announced flagship may price itself out of consideration for anyone that isn’t already an Olympus owner.
I will watch that Olympus flagship announcement very, Very, VERY carefully as it will tell me if m43 (Olympus) will just remain my compact system without any further investment or if I will decide to continue investing further in their gear (cameras AND lenses).

A big letdown for me would not only be a to highly priced high end model, but also another fixed super telephoto lens like a 4/400 PRO etc. For me they need to bring at least something like a m43 version of their legendary 90-250 (or similar, maybe a bit slower than 2.8). If that does not happen then the way is open to Nikon Z or Panasonic S or even Olympus E-mount full frame. What I would be pretty sure is if they decide to go FF their camera would exceed any of the Sony A7/A9 models by a huge margin in terms of operability.

Anyway I am relaxed watching where they decide to go.