The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji Xt2 vs Olympus EM1 MK2

jdphoto

Does anyone have any experience with these two cameras and any thoughts on both? I find my self tempted by the fps rate and Pro lenses. I know both are fully weather sealed and prefer dials to buttons and the user experience is 90% of the bond, but nonetheless, I'm intrigued. The Em1 MK2 will have a much desired IBIS, but the rumored Fuji XH1 will too. Aside from slightly better low light, ISO and dynamic range, the differences in resolution are not as much as one would think. What about print size at 16x20 or lens comparisons? I shoot film for big portraits and Fine Art, so this would be like a companion camera.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I owned both cameras and loved both. I finally sold the Fuji because I found especially the highly praised dials being a big hype introduced by Fuji - for me after working with both worlds actually a big step backwards - but many people love them.

Anyway I found the EM1.2 much better WRT operability and for me much more intuitive - but that is maybe only my preference :shocked:

I also found the strategy and direction that Fuji was following over the past few years - mainly all these retro looking 2.0 lenses - not what I was looking for. If you are not looking specifically for a retro-something camera then you should not go Fuji.

WRT IQ - there are slight advantaged to the Fuji files in some situations, but as I am almost never shooting exclusively JPEG but rather exclusively RAW this advantage (if there is one) is also going away.

For me the overall quality, speed and size of the m43 systems (especially Olympus) outweighs the advantages the Fuji brings in some areas by far!

iiiNelson

I believe a bigger question to ask is whether you want to shoot a 3:2 or 4:3 aspect ratio. Bothbare capable cameras and it may be better to wait and see what comes of the XH1.

There are some legitimate pros to the look of the Fuji files for many people that don’t want to do a large amount of editing but there’s a big pro for the Olympus that many don’t think about prior to buying into the system - RAW conversion. Most believe Capture One and Iridient are the best Fuji converters which is great of those are your RAW processors of choice but being a Bayer Sensor in the Olympus will probably do well with most converters. There’s also a matter of if you like the Fuji or Olympus look. Both are sufficiently “small enough” but as a system the Fuji does give the option of potentially moving up to Medium Format and having the same color and look.

Just many factors to consider and both are worth checking out and renting if you can.

TEAM KEN

i happen to own both, and on any given day, will use both.
The Fuji, i am still learning the ins and outs....so keep that in mind.

I break it down this way, from my personal experience...up to this point.
If i am shooting deliberate....something like an interior, or commercial stuff....I;m using the Fuji...the colors' and the images are superb. Actually just did my first cover shot last week, for a real estate magazine...and the Fuji did terrific.

If I'm shooting like a ninja....say an event space, or humans moving quickly....the Oly is awesome.
I do have more experience with the Oly....but I can honestly say, I've never own a camera that gets more in focus hits than the Oly...it simply doesn't miss..unless operator error.
Shot 12 quick headshots yesterday, at a local brokerage, and I'm still looking for 1 bad, out of focus image..haven't found one :)

Sensor size and jpg/raw, and all that is for another discussion..

I hoping i can learn the Fuji, to do the same, as the Oly....all in good time.

You would do well with either system.

That's my 2 cents..

raist3d

Does anyone have any experience with these two cameras and any thoughts on both? I find my self tempted by the fps rate and Pro lenses. I know both are fully weather sealed and prefer dials to buttons and the user experience is 90% of the bond, but nonetheless, I'm intrigued. The Em1 MK2 will have a much desired IBIS, but the rumored Fuji XH1 will too. Aside from slightly better low light, ISO and dynamic range, the differences in resolution are not as much as one would think. What about print size at 16x20 or lens comparisons? I shoot film for big portraits and Fine Art, so this would be like a companion camera.
I would 2nd what someone else said about whether you want to shoot in a 4:3 ratio or 3:2. I will add- if you shoot a lot of telephoto, and you want smaller lenses, pick the Olympus.

I would also say - try the Olympus and see how you like the UI/interface. Olympus has gotten themselves to a point I think their menus have become unnecessarily complicated. If you don't see an issue with that, put +1 for the Oly if that was an obstacle for you. If it's an issue, put a +1 for the Fuji.

If you shoot a lot of landscapes and wide dynamic range/high contrast situations, put a +1 to the Fuji.

On Olympus IBIS- make sure you will really use it/benefit from. If you are shooting where you need to freeze action, you will NOT use it (longer shutter speeds will not freeze action). If you need to shoot very long telephoto you may be more likely to use it as long as you don't need to freeze fast movement.

Both cameras are very good.

- Ricardo

Have you put the Panansonic Lumix G9 as an alternative to the Olympus in your checklist already? I would much more prefer the G9 over the XT2 or Olympus EM1MKII.