The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Manual Focusing

iiiNelson

I’m curious to know if Fujifilm X series lenses turn the “wrong way” like Nikon lenses when manual focusing them or if they turn the “right way” like say Leica, Canon, and literally everyone else. I know some of the lenses (like the 16/1.4 and the 23/1.4) have manual focusing clutches as well that allow hard stops, do these allow you to reverse direction as well (if the focus ring turns the wrong way) or not?

segedi

The camera body tells the lens to focus, it's a bit fly by wire. I believe the default is the way you want, but you can change the direction via the menu settings.

With focus peaking, and setting a button to magnify the view, manual focus with legacy lenses is very easy too. For the legacy and XF lenses, you want to ensure the body is switched to manual mode.

Shashin

It depends on the lens. Without a clutch, then the focus direction can be selected in the menu. With my 14mm that has a clutch, the distance scale is to the right of the infinity mark--it turns counter clockwise or to the left to focus closer. My Minolta M-Rokkor is the opposite.

iiiNelson

It depends on the lens. Without a clutch, then the focus direction can be selected in the menu. With my 14mm that has a clutch, the distance scale is to the right of the infinity mark--it turns counter clockwise or to the left to focus closer. My Minolta M-Rokkor is the opposite.
Gotcha and thanks. That explains it perfectly.

Well I guess that’ll limit me to the focus by wire manual focusing because I’m used to using my Minolta, Leica, and everything else lenses that focus in the correct direction.