Site Sponsors

Thread: Manual Focusing

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Manual Focusing

I’m curious to know if Fujifilm X series lenses turn the “wrong way” like Nikon lenses when manual focusing them or if they turn the “right way” like say Leica, Canon, and literally everyone else. I know some of the lenses (like the 16/1.4 and the 23/1.4) have manual focusing clutches as well that allow hard stops, do these allow you to reverse direction as well (if the focus ring turns the wrong way) or not?
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Manual Focusing

The camera body tells the lens to focus, it's a bit fly by wire. I believe the default is the way you want, but you can change the direction via the menu settings.

With focus peaking, and setting a button to magnify the view, manual focus with legacy lenses is very easy too. For the legacy and XF lenses, you want to ensure the body is switched to manual mode.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Manual Focusing

It depends on the lens. Without a clutch, then the focus direction can be selected in the menu. With my 14mm that has a clutch, the distance scale is to the right of the infinity mark--it turns counter clockwise or to the left to focus closer. My Minolta M-Rokkor is the opposite.