The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-H1

iiiNelson

Thanks, indeed very valuable update on the X-H1 capabilities. Reflect my feelings about that camera as a former X-T2 owner.

The 16-55 and 50-150 seem to be no brainers, the 100-400 if you are into sports and wildlife - I loved it on the X-T2, so I only can imagine how wonderful it must feel on the X-H1. I owned the 1.4/23 and the 1.2/56 and while they were slow focussing on the X-T1 they should be pretty perfect on the X-H1 - both exceptionally sharp and capable. I would consider the 2.8/80 instead of the 2/90 as it has OIS and is a macro and the results I have seen from this lens are simply stunning! I would definitely buy the X-H1 in combination with the hand grip as it offers so much more flexibility and much better ergonomics for certain situations and combination.

Wish you all the best luck with your decision, but if I were you I would go solely Fuji - GFX and X-H1.
You're welcome and I was happily surprised by this camera. IQ will largely be the same as with the XT2 which is to say that it will be great and more than acceptable for most people.

The reason I would choose the 90 over the 80 is the extra stop of light and the much faster focusing and it’s not really close. The XH1 has IBIS so the lack of OIS isn’t a huge deal to me. The 80 Macro focuses much slower than the 90 and the 50-140 for that matter. It hunts more too.

Comparing the focusing speed of the 80 to literally every other lens in the lineup it’s noticeably slower to focus than pretty much every other lens save maybe the 60 Macro (and maybe the XC lenses but I didn’t try them). In any case the results are great and if you are a wildlife/outdoor shooter then I t’s definitely worth a serious look. I’m more apt to do an impromptu portrait session than to take flower pics and for that the 90 renders better IMO. Maybe if I sell enough stuff then I’ll grab an 80 Macro for product shots or the occasional macro bug I get but unless that happens I have a list of lenses I would buy prior to the 80 Macro.

cly

Has anyone had the chance to check if Fuji provides a 'complete' virtual horizon? In the X-T2 we only have a level for the roll axis, a virtual level for tilt is missing. I would be more than happy if both would have made it to the X-H1.

Chris

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Has anyone had the chance to check if Fuji provides a 'complete' virual horizon? In the X-T2 we only have a level for the roll axis, a virtual level for tilt is missing. I would be more than happy if both would have made it to the X-H1.

Chris
I’m pretty sure I saw a YouTube video saying how they updated that. It may have been The Camera Store one with the Fujifilm Canada Product Manager on there.

iiiNelson

Any news about tethered shooting with Capture One Pro 10 or 11?
I haven’t heard anything about it but I’m sure if enough people bother the folks from Capture One about it then it’ll eventually happen. I’d like to see it as well but in the meantime there are the plug-ins that Fujifilm makes that can point your images to a hot folder. Here’s one video that walks you through it.

https://youtu.be/FfDhlrzp1as

iiiNelson

Has anyone had the chance to check if Fuji provides a 'complete' virtual horizon? In the X-T2 we only have a level for the roll axis, a virtual level for tilt is missing. I would be more than happy if both would have made it to the X-H1.

Chris
Actually it was the CameraLabs - Gordon Laing first look that mentioned a 2 axis virtual spirit level around the 4 minute mark or so. Unfortunately, watching all the YouTube videos that I’ve watched on this camera have started to blend together a bit.

https://youtu.be/ugcUV9d5OPU

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The X-H1 seems to have pretty good IBIS - in this video compared to the GH5 it is slightly worse, but the GH5 was used with the 2.8/12-35 which adds dual IS. Anyway from what I see not much difference WRT shake, BUT the video quality coming out of the X-H1 is much better to my eyes.

Also the reviewer says that the X-H1 AF is obviously lightyears ahead from the GH5 - that tells me a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=351&v=HRYRhv58iyQ

Lot food for thought :cool:

iiiNelson

The X-H1 seems to have pretty good IBIS - in this video compared to the GH5 it is slightly worse, but the GH5 was used with the 2.8/12-35 which adds dual IS. Anyway from what I see not much difference WRT shake, BUT the video quality coming out of the X-H1 is much better to my eyes.

Also the reviewer says that the X-H1 AF is obviously lightyears ahead from the GH5 - that tells me a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=351&v=HRYRhv58iyQ

Lot food for thought :cool:
IBIS benefits smaller sensors more than larger sensors today. It’s easier to correct a smaller sensor more quickly. For pure video use a GH5 is likely a better option. For a mix of phot and video the G9, the OMD EM1-II, the Fuji’s, or Sony are likely a better mirrorless options.

V

Vivek

It may be because you are using manual focusing M lenses the burst mode is crazy fast? No need to AF and waste time trying to do that.

and although im using it with my M lenses, the burst mode is crazy fast...almost feels like the a9 ;)

the shutter sound is super quiet