The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-H1

Thorkil

Anyone who now got both the X-H1 and the X-T2 yet, and can do a practical comparison, and an opinion on, if so, why the X-H1 is a "must-have" choise compaired to the X-T2?
The:
https://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
suggest at iso 12.800 that the X-H1 is much more refined (at least in the jpg shown) than both the X-T2 and the Nikon Df. If thats true, also in raw, it could be, together with the IBIS, be interesting to me.
best Thorkil

Satrycon

i dont know about the XT-2..but compared to the Leica SL and Leica T...i can get gorgeous night street shots under ISO 400 as low as 1/25th [no people moving] and with people i prefer minimum 1/125th...at ISO 600 [at f1.4 or f2]

the IBIS is quite amazing

the slight noise is quite pleasing..almost looks film like and quite random unlike other cameras that seem to have a more or less fixed noise pattern in low light

slowly getting used to this sensor..usually don't need luma NR, very little chroma NR, barely any sharpening..and all NR/sharpening is OFF in camera...shooting only RAW....so quite a deviation from the usual-night-available-light-street-shot-process

ive found only 2 irritating things but not biggies...the "Q" button keeps getting pressed by mistake when i click the real dial to zoom

and the EVF is nice at night, but in bright sunlight seems to jitter a bit when zoomed in.

the DR setting is very nice

Anyone who now got both the X-H1 and the X-T2 yet, and can do a practical comparison, and an opinion on, if so, why the X-H1 is a "must-have" choise compaired to the X-T2?
The:
https://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
suggest at iso 12.800 that the X-H1 is much more refined (at least in the jpg shown) than both the X-T2 and the Nikon Df. If thats true, also in raw, it could be, together with the IBIS, be interesting to me.
best Thorkil

Last edited:

rayyan

Very nice images Satrycon. Well done indeed.

My interest in the X-H1 is primarily to use it with Fujinon XF non-stabilized lenses;
The 16-55 and the 90mm, which I bought but not put to serious use.

The sensor is the same as my X-PRO2. Maybe tweeked a little.

With my failing eyesight, manual lenses are not my favored choice with the Fuji X
ecosystem. Although, I have used them as a test bed. I use M lenses on Leica.

Any images with the Fuji XF lenses would be welcome.

TIA.

Satrycon

I'm using my XH-1 only with Leica M lenses..i don't have Fuji lenses....yet ;)

but with AF lenses I'm sure the results will be very good with IBIS on

Very nice images Satrycon. Well done indeed.

My interest in the X-H1 is primarily to use it with Fujinon XF non-stabilized lenses;
The 16-55 and the 90mm, which I bought but not put to serious use.

The sensor is the same as my X-PRO2. Maybe tweeked a little.

With my failing eyesight, manual lenses are not my favored choice with the Fuji X
ecosystem. Although, I have used them as a test bed. I use M lenses on Leica.

Any images with the Fuji XF lenses would be welcome.

TIA.

Thorkil

i dont know about the XT-2..but compared to the Leica SL and Leica T...i can get gorgeous night street shots under ISO 400 as low as 1/25th [no people moving] and with people i prefer minimum 1/125th...at ISO 600 [at f1.4 or f2]

the IBIS is quite amazing

the slight noise is quite pleasing..almost looks film like and quite random unlike other cameras that seem to have a more or less fixed noise pattern in low light

slowly getting used to this sensor..usually don't need luma NR, very little chroma NR, barely any sharpening..and all NR/sharpening is OFF in camera...shooting only RAW....so quite a deviation from the usual-night-available-light-street-shot-process

ive found only 2 irritating things but not biggies...the "Q" button keeps getting pressed by mistake when i click the real dial to zoom

and the EVF is nice at night, but in bright sunlight seems to jitter a bit when zoomed in.

the DR setting is very nice
Thank you! :thumbup:
As Rayyan, I too could well use it with the unstabilized XF-lenses, and might give a new life to the wonderful 90/2.
But as I'm still in love with my Nikon Df, I will give it a few seconds waiting :)
Best Thorkil

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@Satrycon,

I really like the results I see you posting with Leica M lenses on the X-H1 :clap::clap::clap:

Having said that I have mostly given up on using manual (Leica M) lenses on any mirrorless camera as I find for the optimum usage of Leica M lenses any Leica M is more appropriate - especially the M10. Sure I have played with that but for me it is not the way to go - which is just my way of shooting and of course completely different from what you prefer.

With my age I really prefer AF for most circumstances and I found already the AF of the X-T2 with earlier FW more than adequate, so the X-H1 must just be stellar and definitely the way to go for me in order to achieve immediately and perfectly focused images almost in any situation. The Fuji AF has meanwhile matured so much that improvements can be made, but they will only be more or less marginal - means we have nearly perfect AF - especially AF-C.

The Fuji lens lineup is so complete today that I would miss NOTHING and IQ from these lenses is stellar - may I say on par with Leica M lenses. So these AF capabilities in combo with the excellent IQ of Fuji lenses makes it a no brainer for me to use native glass.

But again - this is just my very personal and subjective opinion and of course this may differ significantly from yours.

Keep enjoying the X-H1 and Leica glass and PLEASE keep posting these great shots ;)

Satrycon

thank you..:)

am sure the results will be even nicer with native fuji lenses....i might pickup a fast 50 or 85 at a later date if its below f2.

@Satrycon,

I really like the results I see you posting with Leica M lenses on the X-H1 :clap::clap::clap:

Having said that I have mostly given up on using manual (Leica M) lenses on any mirrorless camera as I find for the optimum usage of Leica M lenses any Leica M is more appropriate - especially the M10. Sure I have played with that but for me it is not the way to go - which is just my way of shooting and of course completely different from what you prefer.

With my age I really prefer AF for most circumstances and I found already the AF of the X-T2 with earlier FW more than adequate, so the X-H1 must just be stellar and definitely the way to go for me in order to achieve immediately and perfectly focused images almost in any situation. The Fuji AF has meanwhile matured so much that improvements can be made, but they will only be more or less marginal - means we have nearly perfect AF - especially AF-C.

The Fuji lens lineup is so complete today that I would miss NOTHING and IQ from these lenses is stellar - may I say on par with Leica M lenses. So these AF capabilities in combo with the excellent IQ of Fuji lenses makes it a no brainer for me to use native glass.

But again - this is just my very personal and subjective opinion and of course this may differ significantly from yours.

Keep enjoying the X-H1 and Leica glass and PLEASE keep posting these great shots ;)

Rand47

I’ve had my X-H1 for a day or so now. All configured they way I like it. I’m very much enjoying this camera. Much better high ISO than my X-T2 (figure a firmware update will make them even again at some point). Grip is MUCH better than X-T2 - that was the only “take down” for me from going from dSLR to Fuji when I bought my X-T1 (large hands). EVF is very detailed and bright. With grip and boost mode there is zero lag/drag in the EVF.

And the IBIS is nothing short of excellent. Hand-holding the 16-55 @ 55mm down to 1/8th second is easily doable/repeatable with good camera holding technique.

The body feels more rigid/rugged. The grip fitment is more organic, following the lines of the camera much better than the “attached square brick” with the funny vertical “add on” of the X-T2 grip.

Shutter button improvement is very nice, indeed. Some complain that it is too soft... but I find it just about perfect. After about one minute using it, finding the half-press, vs the “shoot” press is quite easily dialed in, and makes for very accurate shutter trip w/o inducing camera movement. Shutter is very quiet.

I love the e-ink top sub lcd that retains frames remaining, EC settings (or not), and battery status even with the camera off. VERY nice.

Some have lamented the loss of the dedicated EC dial. I sure don’t. Setting the EC button to “toggle on and off” (which is remembered even with camera off) makes for very easy EC adjustment with rear command wheel. Since EC setting is visible in EVF, LCD and on sub lcd panel, there’s still obvious indication of EC settings. I like it better and am much less apt to accidentally adjust EC with this set up.

The Eterna Film Simulation is really nice, even for stills photos. I’ve not yet ventured into video.

I’m very pleased with this machine, it is a worthwhile upgrade to X-T2 based on my own preferences in ergos, the IBIS, the EC implementation, robustness of the body construction, and a lot of other small refinements like the push button (rather than fiddle slide button) for releasing the LCD for vertical tip-out, etc.

Rand