The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-H1

Satrycon

https://youtu.be/f3bbjm8qnNU?t=5m22s

Very nice images Satrycon. Well done indeed.

My interest in the X-H1 is primarily to use it with Fujinon XF non-stabilized lenses;
The 16-55 and the 90mm, which I bought but not put to serious use.

The sensor is the same as my X-PRO2. Maybe tweeked a little.

With my failing eyesight, manual lenses are not my favored choice with the Fuji X
ecosystem. Although, I have used them as a test bed. I use M lenses on Leica.

Any images with the Fuji XF lenses would be welcome.

TIA.

Mark C

Fuji X-H1 with Leica 90mm Summicron APO ASPH@F2
Fujifilm M mount Adapter, IBIS ON
Firstly, very nice images you're showing with the XH-1, thanks for sharing them.

Secondly, I read a comment on another forum suggesting that 3rd party lenses used with an adapter on the XH-1 will turn off the IBIS. Are you saying that the IBIS still works with Leica glass using the M mount adapter?

Satrycon

of course..its not 5 axis or whatever..but it still works nicely with MF lenses, its in body stabilization...the 5 axis deal includes 2 from the OIS lens

View attachment 133417

Firstly, very nice images you're showing with the XH-1, thanks for sharing them.

Secondly, I read a comment on another forum suggesting that 3rd party lenses used with an adapter on the XH-1 will turn off the IBIS. Are you saying that the IBIS still works with Leica glass using the M mount adapter?

Satrycon

from the rumors :

X-H1 Firmware Ver.1.10 -due May, 2018
Addition of “Focus Bracketing”
The update will enable the photographer to shoot focus distance bracketing up to 999 frames. When the photographer begins shooting, the focal location is shifted with each activation of the shutter by the step of focus shift set from 1 to 10.

Compatible with the newly developed cinema lens FUJINON MKX18-55mmT2.9 lens and FUJINON MKX50-135mmT2.9 lens
The upgrade will add compatibility for the newly developed FUJINON MKX18-55mmT2.9 lens and FUJINON MKX50-135mmT2.9 lens

1: Aperture information can be displayed on the monitor. The upgrade allows users to select T-stop or
F-stop.
2: The upgrade allows users to check the focus distance with the distance indicator shown on the
monitor.
3: Automatically corrects the distortion and the color/brightness shading.
4: Camera automatically calculate the White Balance based on the lens position and deliver the color expressions with Film Simulation modes.

Enhanced Phase Detection AF during movie recording.
Enabled phase detection AF at smallest area size when in single point AF, making phase detection AF active all 6 area sizes both in AF-S/AF-C mode.

Expanded Phase Detection AF Area options during still shooting

Phase detection AF is now available in the smallest size single AF point when shooting in AF-S and AF-C modes. This takes the total phase detection AF areas to 6.

Enhanced Bluetooth connectivity via "FUJIFILM Camera Remote" app.
The upgrade allows users to utilize the following functions with the latest "FUJIFILM Camera Remote" app.

1: It synchronizes "date and time" and/or "location information" of smartphone and tablet devices
when used with cameras with Bluetooth capability
2: The upgrade allows users to select multiple smartphones or tablet devices by paring the
cameras.(Up to 7 devices)
3: Update the firmware of compatible cameras that offer Bluetooth capability via smartphone or
tablet devices.
4: It supports Bluetooth wireless remote control camera shutter release** for cameras that offer Bluetooth capability.

Addition of Fn button support for “IS Mode”
The upgrade allows users to set the Fn button as “IS Mode” for quicker setting changes.

Enlarged and customizable indicators or information
The upgrade allows users to enlarge indicators and information in the viewfinder and/or LCD monitor.
This upgrade will also enable users to customize the location of where the information is shown on the display.

rayyan

Once again, beautiful images :clap:

Wonder how the new A7 iii full frame would do under similar circumstances.
Seeing the XH-1 and the Sony A7 iii are at almost the same price point...just the camera bodies.
And both having almost the same pixel count.

Come to think of it, my XPRO-2 has how many pixels?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Once again, beautiful images :clap:

Wonder how the new A7 iii full frame would do under similar circumstances.
Seeing the XH-1 and the Sony A7 iii are at almost the same price point...just the camera bodies.
And both having almost the same pixel count.

Come to think of it, my XPRO-2 has how many pixels?
To be honest, if I had to choose between X-H1 and Sony A7III I would definitely go the Sony route this time! :toocool:

Just my 5c ....

jdphoto

The Fuji M mount adapter seems to work pretty good. I have a 50mm 1.4 Summilux ver. 3 (pre ASPH) and a 28mm Elmarit 28mm f/2.8. The 28mm is on the compatible list, but not the 50mm 1.4. I'm assuming it should work on the XH1.

Puma Cat

So I just tried out the XH1 (and the entire Fujifilm lens lineup).

If you are used to using the larger Fujifilm lenses then you will reallly like this camera. Ergonomics has a large effect on how heavy a camera feels (weight) compared to its actual mass. Comparing the XH1 to the Graphite XT2 that was next to it (which looks so much better in person BTW) I really couldn’t tell much difference in weight when holding the camera up to my eye (though I realize there is a difference). The 10-24, 16-55, 18-135, 16/1.4, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, and 90/2 really balance well and naturally on the XH1. The 80/2.8 and 50-140 are slightly front heavy large lenses but they’re manageable on the XH1 even without the grip on. The 100-400 is large no matter what and and I would likely not shoot it without the grip for comfort personally speaking. The 18, 23, 27, 35, and 50mm f/2 primes are dwarfed on this body but perform well.

The new EVF is really nice and seems to be the same one from the GFX but with a noticeably higher refresh rate. It would be hard to image those that are anti-EVF disliking this one unless they are just set on OVF or nothing. The touch focus was responsive enough for most shooting. There seemed to be a very slight delay in touch to focus then the focus box moving. It’s perceptaible but not a deal breaker to me. The joystick is still there for those that care. The Wxposure compensation button is placed nicely IMO and falls exactly where my index finger would be if I lift my finger from the shutter and bend it. The dials on the front and back of the camera felt nice and were positioned where I’d like them.

The shutter is incredibly quiet and has a really soft feel similar to using a soft release on a Leica M IMO. When I first took a shot it had about the same loudness volume as a lens focus motor. Perceptible to the shooter but unlikely to be heard by anyone without the ears of a dog on the streets. Rear LCD quality is about equal as the XT2. The camera reacts faster though for instance when you rotate it to portrait mode the information realigns more quickly than the XT2.

All in all its it’s a great effort by Fuji and the camera is their most comfortable to hold IMO (besides the GFX). If I had to compare it to other mirrorless cameras then I’d say it felt like a slightly taller and slightly wider A7RII. I didn’t preorder one yet (mostly because I’m mulling over lens selection after using them all today) but the Fuji rep mentioned that they’re shipping a large amount of bodies stateside and they expect that it will be a hit with photographers. As for now I imagine the 16-55 and/or 50-140 are must buys for me and I’m leaning towards adding the 56 and 90 as well. Generally I’d like to have a 35 and or 50 equivalent but I didn’t really love either of Fuji’s offerings in f/1.4 or f/2. I realize this is subjective but they don’t compare favorably optically with my Sony lenses in that range from what I could tell. I will likely look at samples on Flickr to make a decision but I’m leaning towards one of the 35’s or maybe just the 23/1.4... oh but the 16/1.4 is really nice IMO too.
Nelson, I'm just reading this thread now and have not read all the replies in this thread, but I've had my X-H1 for about 3 weeks now, and I would say your first impressions are very accurate. I've been shooting with the X-H1 quite a bit since getting it, so I will post some additional impressions and actual motor racing and landscape photographs.

And I'm with you on the EVF and that shutter is to die for.

Puma Cat

I'm going to add on to iiiNelson's initial impressions article with my own rather than starting a new thread.

I should preface my comments below that I bought my X-H1 specifically for my professional motorsports photojournalism work, so my comments should be considered from that context firmly in mind, specifically with respect to my discussion of the engineering requirements and design embodiment of the X-H1, so lets get down to reasons why Fuji built this camera:

One of the things I've been posting about on various photo-fora is how much more robust the body on the X-H1 has been engineered to accomodate long, heavy, prime telephotos and the new MK-X Cine lenses. Fujifilm did considerable engineering to strengthen and, most importantly, stiffen the frame and lens mount to be able to mount long, heavy, prime telephotos and the new Cine MK zooms. These "devices", as Fuji refers to them, put a considerable tension load on the lens mount, and thus the lens mount needs to be designly sufficiently robustly to support these loads.

Here's an example: note how much thicker and "beefier" the "support/stiffening ring" around the lens mount is on the X-H1 compared to the X-T2.

The other thing I noted today is that Fuji moved the button for releasing the lens from the lens mount to further away to make it easier to disconnect larger (and wider in diameter) lenses. This little change is a big win for me, as it was difficult at times to actuate the lens release button on the 50-140 and 100-400.

Why was this done? Back in early 2017, when Fujifilm engineers were asked if they were going to develop a 200 mm f/2.0 or f/2.8, replied, "A 200 mm f/2.0 would require an entirely new camera body". The engineering work documented in the white paper from Fujifilm on the development of the frame fully supports that statement. From the Fujifilm X-H1 development white paper:

"Let's examine the X-H1. The product planner requested the developers to make the body more robust so that new devices could be installed and the expected camera performance could be realized. In order to make the body more robust, the frame, which is made of magnesium alloys, needed to be strengthened by adding extra thickness.
The frame is 125% thicker for X-H1, meaning that the frame has almost doubled in volume (1.25 x 1.25 x 1.25 = 1.95). The strength of the frame is almost twice as strong.

Portability and lightweight are the charm of the X Series. This should always be taken into account even when considering an exterior design that is more robust. The designer examined the frame closely and learned where the stress is most/least applied and where the extra strength is most/least needed. With the study, the following structure with pillars jointing the exterior part has been realized, which helped minimize the effect on body size."

"The development continued. There are certain parts of camera body that needed extra consideration. For example, front body important in terms of ergonomics and operability, but the impact on weight is huge if the entire front body were simply 125% thicker. Another extra consideration was given to the mount. In near future there will be lenses that weigh more than 2kg."(that's 4.4 pounds, guys, that a big-assed, heavy lens)

Continuing from the Fujifilm development white paper: "Considerable load would be applied to the mount. The mount needs to withstand the weight of the lens. Photographers move around when they are at work, so additional stress would be applied on top of the lens weight. To withstand the stress, the mount part is reinforced ribs as shown below. The mount itself is thickened (note: per my photograph above) and the ribs gives additional support."

The diagram below from the Fujifilm development white paper depicts the reinforcement rib in the camera frame. The bright white lines are steel (not magnesium) reinforcement ribs and pins to provide the requisite stiffness for supporting these tension loads while still maintaining the optical tolerances (which are at the micron level). These are not insignificant engineering challenges and accomplishments.

More on my practical experience follows in the subsequents posts.