The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-H1

Puma Cat

So, engineering requirements aside, what's the X-H1 like to use in the real world? Well, personally, I find it to be much like an X-T2, which is truly an excellent camera, but functionally better in every way.

Some data regarding the size: The X-H1 is WHOPPING 5% larger than the X-T2 in 2 of 3 dimensions, and 10% thicker at its minimum depth dimension, the extra thickness necessary to incorporate the IBIS subsystem. Here is a top view photo showing my Graphite Silver next to my X-H1.

So, while the size difference is "statistically significant", do I find it to be practically significant?

No, with the exception that the grip is MUCH better than the X-T2's.

Regarding weight: The X-T2 with a RRS L-plate mounted is actually 17 grams heavier (I did the data analysis) than X-H1. Do I ever think about how heavy the X-T2 is when I am using it in the real world with its L-plate mounted? No.

Do I think, OMG, this X-H1 is SO HEAVY when I am using it in the real world? No.

The leaf-spring shutter button and 5-spring suspended shutter mech is an absolute joy, the smoothest, silkiest, quietest, best damped focal plane shutter I have ever used, hands down, bar none, from any manufacterer. There is absolutely no "breakover" in actuating the shutter, and it is designed so that no vibration or shock is transferred to the body to interfere with the IBIS system. Incredible and really, really nice. REALLY nice.

The 3.7 million dot EVF is amazing, fast, clear, and gorgeous to look at but more importantly, the camera has exceptionally accurate matrix metering, on par with the GFX, which is exemplary. See the photo of Putah Creek Pond below to see how accurately the X-H1 meters to render both shadow detail and capture the highlights in the sky without blowing out. This metering accuracy makes it a snap to edit images by just needing to set black/white points. That's it. By contrast, I found my first X-T2 in matrix metering mode seemed to consistently read the scene as darker than it actually was, thereby overexposing by 1/3 or 1/2 a stop. The X-H1 metering system seems to be much more accurate, and the higher resolution and clearer EVR makes it easier to gauge the exposure preview of the scene.

A lot of folks in the internet "specs geeks" forums have been griping about the removal of the exp comp dial for the submonitor, but in actual use, this has not been a problem for me in any way whatsoever. I have my rear command dial set to be able to actuate the exposure comp functionality by a simple press, and then a turn of the dial sets comp quickly and effectively. And the EVF now displays a full ± 5 stops of compensation. And, I don't find that I am inadvertantly bumping the exp comp dial as I often find happens on my X-T2 when I am running around from place to place shooting at the race track.

And, having the submonitor has proven to be much more useful than I originally anticipated. It's really nice to be able to glance down at it with lenses like the 18-55 or 10-24 to see what aperture the lens is set at, as well as a panoply of other useful information. When the camera is switched off, its great to be able to see how many frames are left on the card, the available battery capacity, and the exp. comp setting. Bottom line: the more I use the camera, the more I like it.

The rear touch screen is nice also, and I really like being able to swipe to bring up the auto timer, the RGB histograms, or the roll/pitch gauge on the LCD. The fact that you can configure it to be only active on a specified part of the screen, as well as the increased eye relief of the new EVF, this lets you look through the viewfinder without getting grease from your nose on the LCD, as well as letting you use the LCD touch functions. The next post will show some real world use photographs, including high-speed continuous autofocus.

Puma Cat

Of course, I had to take it to the race track to try it out. It performed very well and is very responsive. In particular, the back button for autofocus is much improved over the X-T2's. The silkly shutter makes it easy to take multiple frames without the shutter breakover impacting panning or holding the lens by hand.

Chevrons with Cosworth BDA 2-liter motors are always fast at this track. Fuji X-H1 and 50-140 with 1.4X extender

Formula Atlantic with Cosworth twin-cam BDA are very fast at Sonoma Raceway.

Big Aston Martin used as the pace car

Porsches!

For the most part, I was using AF-C Mode 3, either single center spot or Zone AF with the grip in Boost mode, shooting with the mechanical shutter at 11 FPS.

Puma Cat

Here's my conclusions to date: a lot of folks are looking at the X-H1 as a line extension to the X-T-series. It's not; its a completely NEW line of camera bodies intended for what I would classify as "hard-core" professionals, specifically those that will be working in tough and demanding environments, and will need to frequently use long, fast, heavy prime telephotos or cinema lenses. This is why it has the number "1" after it. Its intended for sports, motorsports, combat photojournalists, wildlife photographers, studio photographers, and professional videographers, and in some use-cases, those end-users who need stabilize those lenses. If one was in the Canon system, this set of end-users would comprise the photographers that need a Canon 1D-class body; the X-H1 is the analog in the Fuji X system to a Canon 1D-series camera.

My experience is that the majority of photographers will or do not need a 1D-series body, but some, like me, for my professional motorsports photojournalism work do: we need a tough, durable, strong and stiff camera body that can safely mount long, heavy, fast prime teles and not break.

What I've found that has been a big added plus are the vastly improved shutter mech, the significantly better EVF, the improved continuous high-speed AF system using parallel processing, the increased matrix metering accuracy, and improvements in operational efficiency from the addition of the sub-monitor and touchscreen LCD.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Some obvious clarifications:

1) the 1 stands for the first camera in that X-H line .... the X-H1

2) it will definitely be a new separate line in the X-lineup

3) the small battery it shares with the other X-series cameras (lines) really sucks - I had desperately hoped for a larger battery, now as the camera became so much bigger - which I applaud - never have been a fan of the as small as possible concept

4) IBIS is a big step forward although still miles away compared to Olympus or Panasonic IBIS - but a good way

5) fortunately Fuji abandoned the separate exposure control wheel - always disturbed me at best

6) unfortunately the X-H1 still has the "old" X-Trans 3 sensor, I had hoped for an improved version with PDAF extending to the edges of the frame and at least exe-AF capability - Fuji has still a long way to go in that department

7) next we will see an X-T3 with such a new sensor - I guess also with increased MP - most likely introduced around PK2018

8) that means that a X-H2 will only follow end of 2019 earliest with that upgraded sensor ...

Last edited:

Puma Cat

3) the small battery it shares with the other X-series cameras (lines) really sucks - I had desperately hoped for a larger battery, now as the camera became so much bigger - which I applaud - never have been a fan of the as small as possible concept
Just in the interests of accuracy, I find that I typically and consistently obtain 800-1000 frames per battery when shooting with my X-T2 and X-H1 in AF-C Continuous High-Speed at 11 FPS. This may sound conflicting but I attribute it to the fact that the LCD is not being driven for playback each and every frame. I also obtained these results even for my X-T1 when shooting racing at 8 FPS. I should add that I completely turn the camera off when I am not shooting, even between race classes (different cars or series) or yellow flags while I am trackside. So, for my applications, racing photography, battery capacity has not been an issue. I find I can shoot 2500-3000 frames per day with one set of batteries in the grip. Also, a spare set of three batteries is really light, so if I didn't have sufficient capacity, I could easily carry a spare set of 3 in my photo vest. They are still considerably lighter than a spare battery for a Canon 1D-series body, and I always carred at least two of those. Carrying a second set of batteries in my vest is also a lot easier than schlepping two completely different sets of batteries and chargers and cords to my desk in the Media Center, or realizing halfway in driving to the track that I left inadvertently a specific charger at home. I've got enough to do on a race weekend, so simpler solutions (e.g. 1 battery system) with less hassle makes my day that much easier.

Last edited:

Satrycon

i wonder if the GFX50 R is actually a modded XH-1 ;)

6) unfortunately the X-H1 still has the "old" X-Trans 3 sensor, I had hoped for an improved version with PFAF extending to the edges of the frame and at least exe-AF capability - Fuji has still a long way to go in that department

To be honest, if I had to choose between X-H1 and Sony A7III I would definitely go the Sony route this time! :toocool:

Just my 5c ....
I just ordered an X-H1 - I got enough for my Sony A9 to pay for the body + grip + XF 16-55mm f2.8 + enough cash left over to buy an RRS L-Bracket. The Sonys have some cool tech features, but I just hate using them because of their ergonomics; I also prefer the Fuji XF 100-400mm zoom over the Sony 100-400mm GM.

My local camera store has the following used mirrorless bodies for sale: A9 (2), A7 II, X-T2, X-T1, X-E1 (2), E-M1 II, E-M5, GX85.

Mint or "as new" bodies go for 20-30% under new price. E-M5 and X-E1 go for as low as $200, and these are low mileage bodies that look close to mint. The X-T2 and A7 II are both mint or as new and priced at $12-1300.

This is what these cameras are worth to buyers, those who don't get high on specs and the smell of new electronics.

He has no used DSLR bodies for sale. They fly out as soon as he gets them in.
I find that interesting... around here, the camera stores seem to be running out of room to display all the used DSLRs, while almost anything mirrorless sells right away.

Puma Cat

I find that interesting... around here, the camera stores seem to be running out of room to display all the used DSLRs, while almost anything mirrorless sells right away.
I think there is geographical dependence, as well. Mirrorless is doing very well in the San Francisco Bay Area. I remember that when I personally knew that mirrorless had really arrived was back in December 2014, when I was at a manufacturers day at the now-shuttered Keeble and Schuchat store in Palo Alto. None of the many customers at the show were at the Canikon display counters, everyone instead was at the Fuji, Oly, Panasonic, etc. display counters.

I just ordered an X-H1 - I got enough for my Sony A9 to pay for the body + grip + XF 16-55mm f2.8 + enough cash left over to buy an RRS L-Bracket. The Sonys have some cool tech features, but I just hate using them because of their ergonomics; I also prefer the Fuji XF 100-400mm zoom over the Sony 100-400mm GM.
Fujifilm, in particular seems to be doing very well in the Bay Area with considerable "mindshare". I was selling my older camera gear off at monthly camera shows between November 2017 and February 2018, and no one at any of any of those shows came up to my table to about Sony mirrorless cameras. By contrast, I had a LOT of folks come by, many carrying their own Fuji X-cameras, and wanting to talk at considerable length about how much they loved them.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Same here in Austria (and Germany) - all on sale are used DSLRs :clap:

The most sold mirrorless for now seems to be Olympus mFT while Panasonic, Fuji and Sony are way behind - Leica is almost nowhere.

There is a clear trend towards lighter with almost Pro quality and functionality and this is clearly in favour of Olympus.

Mark C

Well I hadn't intended buying an X-H1 yet but, as usual, my G.A.S. got the better of me and I picked one up today. New stock into the dealer after all the original batch sold out and I see mine has firmware 1.01 already installed by Fuji so I'm hoping lockups and other teething troubles will be minimal. I also bought the grip for it which seems a good deal as it comes with 2 extra batteries and can boost the fps rate of the mechanical shutter to 11 on boost mode. Looking forward to trying that out as I also bought the 100-400mm lens + 1.4xTC which had a good offer on them when bought with the body. I only got a few minutes with the camera today after the batteries charged, so I fitted my XF16-55mm and went out to catch the sunset. Here's one of the first pics I took:

Sunset breeze by Mark, on Flickr

rayyan

I ordered a Fuji 16/1.4 and a Nikon 18-35 today. I think I shall rotate my kits depending on where I might be going.
Now I realize the Fuji 16/1.4 needs a new camera :D

My wife and I shall be visiting Dubai next week. There is one of the biggest Leica Boutique stores in Dubai Mall.

Ayesha steered me away from staying near there though.
But she doesn't know that the XH-1 is available in many malls and stores!!

One lives only once. I promised myself not to buy another Fuji XH-1, though.

p.s. Satrycon, the Leica summilux-M 50 is a lovely lens, no? It seems you are showing us how good the lux is...:D
Lovely images.

p.p.s Why Dubai? Coz it is just a hop and skip away. Besides, Ayesha wanted to celebrate her running International marathons on all five continents.
She returned from Paris a week or so back after running in the 2018 Paris marathon. So she invited me to Dubai!

Around 44.5 kms was the track this time around.

Shashin

Now I realize the Fuji 16/1.4 needs a new camera :D
I can totally relate. I bought a camera battery the other day and had to explain to my wife I needed a camera to hold it...

And yes, this is still my first wife and she has been for longer than most of my cameras!

Mark C

I've had my X-H1 for about a week now and first impressions are good. I can't say Ive been too happy with Adobe's handling of the RAW files though so I downloaded a trial version of Phase 1 C1 to see if that does better (many people recommend it). I think, on balance, I prefer the results from C1, hard to describe, they just seem to have that extra 5% above what I get from Adobe. Anyone else tried both and got any thoughts on that?
Here's a bit of arty work I did with a shot from the X-H1 + XF100-400mm:

Approaching the colour stage by Mark, on Flickr