The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-H1

Mark C

I use Iridiant Developer to open the files and then photoshop to process them. The RAW processor does make a difference. This is a bit old, but does give you a good sense on how the RAW process can change the output.

https://www.fujivsfuji.com/best-xtrans-raw-converter/
Thanks. I tried Iridient about a year ago for the same reason and, although I didn't spend a lot of time with it, I wasn't all that impressed. IIRC it didn't give the user much choice with its output and so I went back to LR. I've actually found adobe to be okay for my GFX RAWs but for some reason it doesn't seem to work so well with my X-H1.

Shashin

Thanks. I tried Iridient about a year ago for the same reason and, although I didn't spend a lot of time with it, I wasn't all that impressed. IIRC it didn't give the user much choice with its output and so I went back to LR. I've actually found adobe to be okay for my GFX RAWs but for some reason it doesn't seem to work so well with my X-H1.
What more do you need than a 16-bit TIFF?

Your GFX files are a normal Bayer pattern. The X-H1 is an X-Trans CFA. LR and Adobe don't have a very good reputation with X Trans images

Mark C

What more do you need than a 16-bit TIFF?

Your GFX files are a normal Bayer pattern. The X-H1 is an X-Trans CFA. LR and Adobe don't have a very good reputation with X Trans images
I'll take your word for it. I'm not that much into the technicalities, I just go by how the results look. The past few days I've been quite pleased by what I'm getting from C1, even though they don't offer formal upport for the GFX the X RAWs look pretty good processed through there and my Canon files are noticeably improved.

Satrycon

for the xh-1 files ive totally switched to C1..the colors, sharpening tools and NR are way better than silly old lightroom

I've had my X-H1 for about a week now and first impressions are good. I can't say Ive been too happy with Adobe's handling of the RAW files though so I downloaded a trial version of Phase 1 C1 to see if that does better (many people recommend it). I think, on balance, I prefer the results from C1, hard to describe, they just seem to have that extra 5% above what I get from Adobe. Anyone else tried both and got any thoughts on that?
Here's a bit of arty work I did with a shot from the X-H1 + XF100-400mm:

Approaching the colour stage by Mark, on Flickr

Mark C

for the xh-1 files ive totally switched to C1..the colors, sharpening tools and NR are way better than silly old lightroom
The more I use C1 the more I'm liking it. It also works well with Canon RAW files too. The one drawback for me, apart frpom paying for it, is that it doesn't support the GFX RAWs. Easy enough to open it in PS and just save it as a Tiff if wanting to process in C1, just another step to add in.

Satrycon

do the GFX raws open in adobe DNG converter ? is so, convert the GFX RAW's with "embed original" on [so you can extract the original at a later date if you need it]...and use the DNGS in whichever software you're comfortable with

rayyan

Being in Dubai, got me a XH-1 last night.
No lens. I have all lenses back home.

Tried the Sony A7iii with the roughly
crop equivalent to my Fuji lenses.

The Sony combo was too big.
And more expensive.

Tried the Lumix G9. Body similar to
the XH-1. Lenses much smaller.
Cost wise almost a wash.

I am aware of Fuji’s limitations.
But suits me fine now. Tomorrow
who knows, if tomorrow comes.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Being in Dubai, got me a XH-1 last night.
No lens. I have all lenses back home.

Tried the Sony A7iii with the roughly
crop equivalent to my Fuji lenses.

The Sony combo was too big.
And more expensive.

Tried the Lumix G9. Body similar to
the XH-1. Lenses much smaller.
Cost wise almost a wash.

I am aware of Fuji’s limitations.
But suits me fine now. Tomorrow
who knows, if tomorrow comes.
Dear Rayyan,

great and I am sure you will enjoy your X-H1.

I am on the fence for reentering Fuji territory again with the X-H1 (or maybe the X-T3 introduced later this year). I do love my m43 Olympus gear but I do miss my Fuji system. Don't think I miss my Sony's and am not sure if I could get friends with the A7III and big FF lenses I would need!

Looking forward to hear your thoughts and experiences about the X-H1 - really !!!!

Many thanks in advance,

Peter

rayyan

Thanks Jorgen and Peter.

Peter,

very subjective first impressions...

in the shop, the xpro-2 felt more dense.
compared to the xh-1.

lenses felt better on the xh-1.
this could be due to the new and much
improved grip on the xh-1.

the first item i checked was to turn the
Ibis on/off. it is buried in the menus!
fail..i set it on the Q menu. assignable to a
fn key? i don’t know yet.

didn’t notice any faster or more accurate
focus acquisition than my xpro-2.

i will do some tests when i get home.
Ayesha went hot air ballooning today.
wanted to test the cam. told her i didn’t
have a lens!! she looked at me with despair!

in the shop the ibis was the only addition that
seemed new besides the improved ergonomics.

i would hold for the xt-3 if you want to go Fuji.

size of pro lenses cf full frame..,you don’t gain much.

i just bought it for ibis n ergonomics.
i am satisfied..,so far.

not a game changer, but a different line
that is my subjective and first impression.

nothing a tripod and my xpro-2 couldn’t do.

best.

p.s. my zf 100/2 makro handles n performs better
on my d700/df and d750.

p.p.s the tilt n swivel screen is a joke. i can’t take a
selfie with it!!

Dear Rayyan,

great and I am sure you will enjoy your X-H1.

I am on the fence for reentering Fuji territory again with the X-H1 (or maybe the X-T3 introduced later this year). I do love my m43 Olympus gear but I do miss my Fuji system. Don't think I miss my Sony's and am not sure if I could get friends with the A7III and big FF lenses I would need!

Looking forward to hear your thoughts and experiences about the X-H1 - really !!!!

Many thanks in advance,

Peter

Last edited:

rayyan

Forgot to mention...

The shutter is ( to me ) disconcertingly very quiet ( I know the sounds in the menu ) and too sensitive to the touch.

This, I am sure, is due to my experience with the Nikons, Ms and even Fuji Xs.

Given time this old fart might get used to it. But I do prefer a meaty shutter and press.

Shall be home today. So can try my Fuji lenses on the much hyped XH-1.
If Ibis works for me, it was a worthwhile purchase for me.

If not...then another sucker got sucked by marketing.

rayyan

Peter, Jorgen, Thorkil...:thumbs:

The ibis is wonderful. I have been trying it around the house ( meaningless shots ); but I am able to hand hold at ridiculously low ss and iso ( for me ) and get sharp images.

Eterna film simulation...me like. But one can fine tune it to taste.

Nothing to do with the XH-1 per se,but Fuji lenses are some of the best I have used. Bar none.

Jono mentioned the evf flicker in fluorescent or similar lighting. Setting in the menu took care of that.

I am sure there are myriads of other details, settings, gripes and praise. For me,
It is iso, ss, aperture. Add ibis. And superb lenses, and I honestly don’t need much else.

With that in mind, it is a worthwhile purchase for me. No regrets.
I have tried the XH-1 in hot and powder dust environment...it is holding fine.

However, I have asked B&H to send me a Nikon 18-35mm, in case of foliage and
Landscapes :D

I am a happy camper. The Lord be Praised.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Rayyan,

so you obviously do enjoy your X-H1, which is a good thing!

Tells me I could be happy with it as well.

WRT EVF - how much better do you feel this EVF is compared to the X-Pro2? Does the higher res really make such a big difference?

Best regards

Peter

rayyan

Better EVF, yes. Night and day..no, far from it.
The biggest difference, I feel, is the location on the left on the pro-2 while it is in the center for the XH-1. I am used to both. So no big deal here or there.

Would I have switched just for the 0.5" vs the 0.48" and ~3.7M dots something vs the 2.7M dots resolution. No. Though the XH-1 has a higher EVF magnification.

The LCD on the XH-1 has a lower resolution than the Xpro-2. Same aspect ratio. Though it can swing in a whoppingly unbelievable 3 directions ;)

My advice. No need to hurry. Wait and see what the rumored XT-3 might bring.

Take care Peter.

p.s I am now searching for a good camera backpack. I have many, none is something I am happy to carry.
Reading and watching videos about the German Compagnon backpack.

HERE

Rayyan,

so you obviously do enjoy your X-H1, which is a good thing!

Tells me I could be happy with it as well.

WRT EVF - how much better do you feel this EVF is compared to the X-Pro2? Does the higher res really make such a big difference?

Best regards

Peter