The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-H1

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Better EVF, yes. Night and day..no, far from it.
The biggest difference, I feel, is the location on the left on the pro-2 while it is in the center for the XH-1. I am used to both. So no big deal here or there.

Would I have switched just for the 0.5" vs the 0.48" and ~3.7M dots something vs the 2.7M dots resolution. No. Though the XH-1 has a higher EVF magnification.

The LCD on the XH-1 has a lower resolution than the Xpro-2. Same aspect ratio. Though it can swing in a whoppingly unbelievable 3 directions ;)

My advice. No need to hurry. Wait and see what the rumored XT-3 might bring.

Take care Peter.

p.s I am now searching for a good camera backpack. I have many, none is something I am happy to carry.
Reading and watching videos about the German Compagnon backpack.

HERE
Thanks Rayyan,

What I really hope for coming with the X-T3 are larger higher capacity batteries. The small old batteries were actually the final decision for me not to go back into Fuji this time with the X-H1.

Bags looking good, I am very happy with the Thinktank Urban Approach ....

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...QZVprmekOr5IuyjXS_Hr3chypAcZfd2xoC9tUQAvD_BwE

Just the right size for many occasions ....

All the best

Peter

rayyan

The battery is indeed a weak point.
As is the Fuji practice of not allowing one
to determine the total shutter counts.

i have switched of ibis and image display.
i don’t chimp much and shall experiment with
both the display and evf to determine which consumes
less power, if possible.

To be honest I prefer the exp. comp dial. but not
a major issue.

rayyan

A cropped sensor travel kit, for me. Obviously heavier than just a Df/50 combo!
For a tropical place. And warmer months.

Add a month supply of medicines in a daily tablets tray.
Documents and cc and such.
Extra pair of specs. Sunglasses.
iPhone.
iPad.
cables, Elec. adapters, pens
2x battery chargers.
Rugged 2TB b/u disk
2 extra batteries.
Notepad( I prefer to write old fashion like )
Lens cleaning cloths
2/3 small towelettes.
Wet Wipes.
Very thin rollable loose yoga pants.
Swimming trunks.

Need a backpack for these items. Seems a lot, but it really is not.
Have not found one that appeals to me. Could just buy inserts, and use my NF backpack.
Have time to decide..

Mark C

A cropped sensor travel kit, for me. Obviously heavier than just a Df/50 combo!
For a tropical place. And warmer months.

Add a month supply of medicines in a daily tablets tray.
Documents and cc and such.
Extra pair of specs. Sunglasses.
iPhone.
iPad.
cables, Elec. adapters, pens
2x battery chargers.
Rugged 2TB b/u disk
2 extra batteries.
Notepad( I prefer to write old fashion like )
Lens cleaning cloths
2/3 small towelettes.
Wet Wipes.
Very thin rollable loose yoga pants.
Swimming trunks.

Have not found one that appeals to me. Could just buy inserts, and use my NF backpack.
Have time to decide..
That is so close to what I'll likely be taking with me on a trip to Spain shortly. I'm thinking Xh-1, X-Pro2, spare batteries and charger, 16-55mm f2.8, 90mm f2, 23mm f1.4 and 35mm f2. I could also take the 100-400mm but not keen on the extra weight for the amount of use it would get on a family holiday.

rayyan

Mark.

First, I would like to wish you and your family a wonderful and safe holiday;
and a safe return home.

I was out in the desert for about 3/4 hrs today.

I found the kit I mentioned, heavy for me. I will have to pare it down. Else, for me, the kit would be something I hate to lug around. More so if I am in a rural setting. But that is me. I shall remove the 16-55 zoom, and the 90mm.

Shall add the 14/2.8 and the 56/1.2

I have been to Spain. Mostly in the South. Of course, Madrid, Barcelona, Gharnata and Córdoba are must see places.

In an urban setting, your 16-55 zoom should be more than enough...and being much younger than me, the weight would not be an issue.
Heck with the ibis it would be enough for me for day and night time. A 23/1.4 paired with a 56/1.2 would set you up for most anything. Except churches and the like. Thus my suggestion of the zoom.

Let us know what you decide, and do post images from that wonderful country.

Best.

That is so close to what I'll likely be taking with me on a trip to Spain shortly. I'm thinking Xh-1, X-Pro2, spare batteries and charger, 16-55mm f2.8, 90mm f2, 23mm f1.4 and 35mm f2. I could also take the 100-400mm but not keen on the extra weight for the amount of use it would get on a family holiday.

Mark C

Mark.

and a safe return home.

I found the kit I mentioned, heavy for me. I will have to pare it down. Else, for me, the kit would be something I hate to lug around. More so if I am in a rural setting. But that is me. I shall remove the 16-55 zoom, and the 90mm.

I have been to Spain. Mostly in the South. Of course, Madrid, Barcelona, Gharnata and Córdoba are must see places.

In an urban setting, your 16-55 zoom should be more than enough...and being much younger than me, the weight would not be an issue.
Heck with the ibis it would be enough for me for day and night time. A 23/1.4 paired with a 56/1.2 would set you up for most anything. Except churches and the like. Thus my suggestion of the zoom.

Best.
Thanks Rayyan, I do hope to grab a few snaps if time permits :) You're right about the 16-55mm being enough, I might just end up with that on one body and the 23mm f1.4 on the other, we'll see.

In the meantime, another one I took yesterday with the X-H1 and 16-55mm, a static exhibit of old fashioned milk churns, processed as a B&W image from RAW in capture 1:

Milk churns by Mark, on Flickr

Rand47

thank you.

done. didn’t need to consult anything for that.
just experience...best teacher in most cases.

best.
Fuji is going to include assigning IBIS on/off to one of the function buttons on the next firmware update, due out sometime in May. I stuck it in "My Menu" for now. Also, with OIS lenses, if you turn off OIS on the lens, it turns off IBIS automatically. You probably already know/figured this out, but thought I'd mention it just in case. Some, early on, were confused.

Rand

rayyan

Thank you.

The firmware upgrade would be useful. But I, personally, have no need for it as such. Daytime, I switch it off in the menus...a one time effort.
At night or where the ss might be low, I turn it on thru the menus.

But the Fn assignment would be welcome.

I do not use any Lens on the Fuji system that has OIS. My wife uses one..18-55 with her XT-1. That’s the only lens and cam she uses. I have read about usage of OIS lenses with ibis on the XH-1. Thanks again for mentioning it.

The wife shall be leaving for a mountain climb in Russia. Due to the carry weight on the mountain, she shall just be taking the X 100S with her. And a charger plus a spare battery and a couple of sd cards.

Best.

Fuji is going to include assigning IBIS on/off to one of the function buttons on the next firmware update, due out sometime in May. I stuck it in "My Menu" for now. Also, with OIS lenses, if you turn off OIS on the lens, it turns off IBIS automatically. You probably already know/figured this out, but thought I'd mention it just in case. Some, early on, were confused.

Rand

Shashin

Have time to decide..
I would get two small camera bags--one for the X-H1 and 16-55 and one for the X Pro2. The bags should be small and easy for you to work from. Then, when you just want to carry the gear, throw either or both bags in the backpack. I have a camera bag that has a loop in the back so when I am wearing the backpack, I can take the backpack waist belt and slide it through the loop to support the bag in use. I have also found the Think Tank belt system good for lenses. The weight is distributed around the waist, I can still wear the backpack, and since the lens pouches are padded, I can simply throw the whole belt into the backpack to store or carry. The great thing about being modular is you can mix and match gear for the situation.

Or use a camel...

rayyan

Thanks Will.

One very valuable suggestion and I need to explore it more..re. The 2small bags.

The other recommendation, re: using a camel...not doable. Two reasons..
a) I hate heights..always take an aisle seat.
b) Am a Marlboro person.

Take care Will.

I would get two small camera bags--one for the X-H1 and 16-55 and one for the X Pro2. The bags should be small and easy for you to work from. Then, when you just want to carry the gear, throw either or both bags in the backpack. I have a camera bag that has a loop in the back so when I am wearing the backpack, I can take the backpack waist belt and slide it through the loop to support the bag in use. I have also found the Think Tank belt system good for lenses. The weight is distributed around the waist, I can still wear the backpack, and since the lens pouches are padded, I can simply throw the whole belt into the backpack to store or carry. The great thing about being modular is you can mix and match gear for the situation.

Or use a camel...

rayyan

Why do you think camels have two humps?
Not for first, business, coach.

Premium window, window, hang on for dear life. Don’t see nothing clinging to the person seated in the window section :D

Best.

Well, you learn something every day. I didn't know that camels had aisle seats...:toocool:

Satrycon

hows the 56 f1.2 on the XH1 ? i tried it for 5 minutes in the fuji shop...would love to buy that lens...

can you please post any pics at f1.2 ?

Mark.

and a safe return home.

Best.

Paul2660

[/url]Arkansa Black Squirrel 1 by paul caldwell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Arkansas Black Squirrel. XH-1, ISO 620 100-400 Fuji Lens. One of rare breeds of squirrel in Arkansas. I have 2 of them currently working around my blind. They are amazingly colorful, even in the black color. Much more interesting than standard Grey or Fox squirrels. Hard to photograph due to flat color.

Interesting, that Capture One did a very good job on this file and pulled almost no noise out of both the Squirrel or back ground, unlike Lightroom, which did not make as clean a conversion. Both files had considerable color aliasing, mainly in the hind quarters and shoulder area. Neither C1 or LR did much on this, but the Moire filter in Camera Raw filter in Adobe CC did a great job on it.

Paul Caldwell