The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-H1

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter; yes the image is well captured.
But I wouldn't expect an XT-2, Pro-2 NOT to give similar results ( except the new film simulation in-camera ). Nothing has changed in the XH-1 to produce anything different.

Best.
Nothing has changed WRT IQ - but it is nice to know that all the X cameras are delivering these stunning images - no matter which one you choose.

All the best

Mark C

I took the X-H1 on my visit to Spain and deliberated right up until the last minute as to which lenses to take. So pleased I decided to take the 100-400mm as it let me get close to some of the animals in the Natura wildlife park, including this beautiful Jaguar:

Jaguar by Mark, on Flickr

Frankly

Frankly said:
But I clearly remember people going on about the cost savings of mirrorless and instead we got lower sales volume, higher margin cameras.
And these people were who? Sales volume for cameras in general are low. Margins, regardless of camera type, are low too. If you want to make a ton of cash, I would suggest another industry.

I was a former Konica Minolta employee that worked with camera product teams in Japan, just in case you wanted to know...
Thom Hogan has been going on about the cost efficiencies of mirrorless camera production versus traditional SLRs since the Panasonic G1 arrived, explaining how there would be less parts, less assembly, and less calibration needed. Not that Thom is always right or can even shoot a decent picture of a freaking penguin but it sounds plausible to me.

But really we should take a moment to thank those selfless not-for-profit camera manufacturers!

iiiNelson

Thom Hogan has been going on about the cost efficiencies of mirrorless camera production versus traditional SLRs since the Panasonic G1 arrived, explaining how there would be less parts, less assembly, and less calibration needed. Not that Thom is always right or can even shoot a decent picture of a freaking penguin but it sounds plausible to me.

But really we should take a moment to thank those selfless not-for-profit camera manufacturers!
I don’t think he was accounting for the hybridization of system camera in today’s market where internal heat management, development of lenses that work well for both Video and high resolution still photography, reduction of sales, or other unforeseen areas of development for today’s market.

There was none of this in the cards 10 years ago when the first mirrorless camera’s came to market and there was still a real question of if Leica could even make a full frame digital M camera.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As long as mirrorless manufacturers keep launching new "improved" models every few months, there won't be any cost savings. Although there are improvements with each new model, I don't really think photographers are well served with the high rate of developent either. Those who gain from this are cost consious photographers (like myself) who buy last year's model for silly low prices, and Canikon who churn out old-tech cameras with tiny modifications year after year with modest investments in new technology. Those who bought the D750 in 2014 still have a current camera. How many popular mirrorless bodies from 2014 are still current? A Leica or two?

iiiNelson

As long as mirrorless manufacturers keep launching new "improved" models every few months, there won't be any cost savings. Although there are improvements with each new model, I don't really think photographers are well served with the high rate of developent either. Those who gain from this are cost consious photographers (like myself) who buy last year's model for silly low prices, and Canikon who churn out old-tech cameras with tiny modifications year after year with modest investments in new technology. Those who bought the D750 in 2014 still have a current camera. How many popular mirrorless bodies from 2014 are still current? A Leica or two?
Well the A7III was just released 3 years after the A7II but the reality is that the new releases and improvements are often spread across different models and body styles so it’s not that new replacements are arriving every few months. The reality is that different models are coming at different price points for different customers similar to how Canon and Nikon release yearly updates to their entry level and prosumer cameras. Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, and Fuji generally do the same. I don’t know that I’d say that the Leica mirrorless camera’s are “current” from a technology standpoint but they are capable for many things.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well the A7III was just released 3 years after the A7II but the reality is that the new releases and improvements are often spread across different models and body styles so it’s not that new replacements are arriving every few months. The reality is that different models are coming at different price points for different customers similar to how Canon and Nikon release yearly updates to their entry level and prosumer cameras. Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, and Fuji generally do the same. I don’t know that I’d say that the Leica mirrorless camera’s are “current” from a technology standpoint but they are capable for many things.
Yes, but see what happened when the A7 II was launched. Suddenly there were lots of used A7s II on the market. Many people run around in zig zag to catch the latest technology.

Cameras don't need to be "current". I used the OM-1 for 30 years and it was only "current" for the first 3-4 of them. The Nikon F3 was manufactured for 21 years, and some of the manual focus lenses that were made for it are still in production almost 40 years later. They are in no way "current", but are still being used to take great photos with, as is the F3.

I have started wondering if the camera industry, except for a few niche suppliers like Leica and Hasselblad (and Canikon if they can manage to cater for their niche, which is DSLR), can survive at all. Although many good cameras are being made, they are to a large degree competing with the mobile phone industry, seeing who can produce the most electronic junk. That's a competition the Chinese mobile phone manufacturers will win easilly.

Sorry for being sarcastic, but I think camera manufacturers are committing collective suicide by competing with their own last year's models, more or less claiming that it's already obsolete, bordering to junk, and while mobile phones are getting competitive with image quality and run rings around "real" cameras for functionality. Not the kind of functionality that you and I want, but the functionality more than 90% of users want.

I had an interesting conversation with an "enthusiast light" the other day. He had come to the point where the quality of the photos from his $300 Chinese mobile phone had surpassed that of his "real" camera. He's still interested in buying a new one, but mostly because it looks cool and a bit more serious. I don't think he's alone, and Sony, Fuji, Olympus etc. should be very worried about this kind of market development.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This thread is going pretty much off topic, but anyway here are my thoughts WRT to some of the latest posts!

The improvements that Sony brought in the A9, A7RIII and A7III are based on the new sensor technologies they are able to produce, which allows them above extremely high DR and low noise also unseen AF - especially WRT eye-AT and face detection that allows to have AFC constantly on and get sharp results of even highly erratical and fast moving subjects ....

These improvements just started a year ago with the introduction of the A9 and are meanwhile available in all their current FF mirrorless cameras. I cannot help but seeing this as an huge innovation and improvement for photography in general and photographers of course as well and really hope they will tickle down in all the new camera releases pretty soon!

While smartphones are becoming much better, they will always lack behind this level of perfection of higher end cameras, sure for a number of people (the majority) smartphones are more than enough, also because they add the convenience of already great IQ for stills, perfect 4k (1k) video and instant connectivity. I myself am taking already 25% of my casual shots with my old iPhone 5s and will need to upgrade later this year to maybe an iPhoneXPlus as soon as it becomes available - and this I think will last again 5 years as my current iPhone5s did and maybe in 5 years I will take around 50-60% of my casual shots with that phone.

But all this evolution does decent cameras and camera systems not make obsolete for me and my needs (or better wishes). But hey that keeps me going and interested and if I loose interest I am ether dead sick or dead ;).

So I applaud this evolution and I predict it will even start to move faster over the next decade :clap::ROTFL::sleep:

iiiNelson

Yes, but see what happened when the A7 II was launched. Suddenly there were lots of used A7s II on the market. Many people run around in zig zag to catch the latest technology.

Cameras don't need to be "current". I used the OM-1 for 30 years and it was only "current" for the first 3-4 of them. The Nikon F3 was manufactured for 21 years, and some of the manual focus lenses that were made for it are still in production almost 40 years later. They are in no way "current", but are still being used to take great photos with, as is the F3.

I have started wondering if the camera industry, except for a few niche suppliers like Leica and Hasselblad (and Canikon if they can manage to cater for their niche, which is DSLR), can survive at all. Although many good cameras are being made, they are to a large degree competing with the mobile phone industry, seeing who can produce the most electronic junk. That's a competition the Chinese mobile phone manufacturers will win easilly.

Sorry for being sarcastic, but I think camera manufacturers are committing collective suicide by competing with their own last year's models, more or less claiming that it's already obsolete, bordering to junk, and while mobile phones are getting competitive with image quality and run rings around "real" cameras for functionality. Not the kind of functionality that you and I want, but the functionality more than 90% of users want.

I had an interesting conversation with an "enthusiast light" the other day. He had come to the point where the quality of the photos from his $300 Chinese mobile phone had surpassed that of his "real" camera. He's still interested in buying a new one, but mostly because it looks cool and a bit more serious. I don't think he's alone, and Sony, Fuji, Olympus etc. should be very worried about this kind of market development.
i respectfully disagree and while some will dump their old cameras (the same way some dumped the XT2, D810, 5D3, OM-D, etc.) when a new body is released the majority of people don’t. I still use generation 1 and 2 bodies personally (for a few reasons) but I’m debating on adding a newer body to the rotation after Photokina depending on what’s released. To be honest though, the A7RII does everything I need but it would be nice to have an updated lower resolution body at times. I mostly think the A9 is all I want but then there are a few shortcomings for me with the current A9 that I’d like to see addressed.