Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    https://www.un.org/en/sections/un-ch...r-i/index.html
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuji X-H1

Absolutely ! A "G9 look-alike" but with a bigger sensor ...
    Bart ...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Big and bigger bodies, huge files, comparatively big lenses, small sensor....

Post Thanks / Like

Intro at DPreview

https://www.dpreview.com/news/038080...-stabilization

and some first impressions too ....

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuj...essions-review

looks pretty good and interesting!

Post Thanks / Like

Big and bigger bodies, huge files, comparatively big lenses, small sensor, small battery....
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    Big and bigger bodies, huge files, comparatively big lenses, small sensor, small battery....
    The small battery is actually turning me off!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it’s me but I never found battery life to actually be a problem in real world shooting with any mirrorless camera but I also tend to not do rapid fire shooting so maybe that’s why it works for me. Sure more battery life can be better (and maybe they should’ve used the GFX battery which would probably give them something 5-700 shot range) but it’s not hard to slip an extra battery or two into a forgotten pocket or the corner of your camera bag/pants.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 15th February 2018 at 05:41.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All fine by me . . Except the. Big Lenses.
    Iíve been shooting with the G9 a lot recently and really liking the chunky body - the G9 is a tiny bit smaller than the new Fuji (and a bit heavier too).

For me the difference of a couple of hundred grams is really insignificant, but itís nice to have something to get hold of!.

As for battery life . . Again, donít see the problem.

I think this looks like a great camera - and Iím glad to see theyíve removed the unneccessary compensation dial and put a useful LCD there instead!

I hope they fixed the screen flicker in Aperture priority that the X-T2 had.

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    Maybe itís me but I never found battery life to actually be a problem in real world shooting with any mirrorless camera but I also tend to not do rapid fire shooting so maybe thatís why it works for me. Sure more battery life can be better (and maybe they shouldíve used the GFX battery which would probably give them something 5-700 shot range but itís not hard to slip an extra battery or two into a forgotten pocket or the corner of your camera bag/pants.
    It all depends on what you use the camera for. For big sports events, air shows and other situations where I take thousands of photos per day, the problem is real, and I always take a Nikon DSLR while the mirrorless cameras become secondary cameras. A couple of extra batteries is fine, but the 10-12 or more I would need per day for a car race would be annoying. For 4K video, it's a problem for many too, since the high bit rates needed eat batteries. There is a reason why professional video cameras have huge batteries.

The biggest headache for me though is when I travel for days to remote locations, often returning to the hotel late in the evening and leaving at 5 or 6 the next morning. I use two chargers now, but with 2 camera with 3 batteries each and at least 4 empty ones every night, I rarely leave in the morning with all batteries charged. I can of course buy more chargers, and a multi-socket thing (hotel rooms rarely have enough sockets), but then I'm carrying so much stuff that the whole point of a compact camera system becomes a big question mark. When I used the D810, I mostly got around 2,000 clicks per battery, more at sports events where I shot bursts. The D610 that I use now gives me less, but with 3 batteries I would mostly be able to leave the charger in the bag or at home if I used this camera for travel.

Luckily, the newer high end Panasonic bodies are better than most mirrorless cameras when it comes to battery life. The GH3/4/5 and the G9 have big batteries and the G85 and GX9 (apparently) have very good battery saving modes. Why this new Fuji doesn't have a much larger battery is difficult to understand. They made it bigger to improve ergonomics for professional users but forgot about battery life?

I tried to use the GX8 at Singapore Airshow recently, and to save battery, I set the viewfinder to sleep after 30 seconds. What I found was that, even if I started touching the shutter release while the camera was on the way up to my eye, I often found myself staring into a black wall for a fraction of a second. That may sound like a bagatel, but for that short period of time, the following happens:

- The eye tries to adjust to the darkness, only to adjust back again when the viewfinder returns to life.
    - I get confused, and since whatever I'm supposed to take photos of moves with several hundred kph, it's suddenly in a totally other location than where I'm pointing the camera.
    - I miss the shot.

With a DSLR, I mostly don't bother about the sleep mode, since the camera consumes so little energy anyway and the viewfinder nothing, and even if it's sleeping or even completely switched off, the viewfinder is alive and well. Glass behaves like that.

Yes, the battery life of mirrorless cameras is a problem for me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    It all depends on what you use the camera for. For big sports events, air shows and other situations where I take thousands of photos per day, the problem is real, and I always take a Nikon DSLR while the mirrorless cameras become secondary cameras. A couple of extra batteries is fine, but the 10-12 or more I would need per day for a car race would be annoying. For 4K video, it's a problem for many too, since the high bit rates needed eat batteries. There is a reason why professional video cameras have huge batteries.

The biggest headache for me though is when I travel for days to remote locations, often returning to the hotel late in the evening and leaving at 5 or 6 the next morning. I use two chargers now, but with 2 camera with 3 batteries each and at least 4 empty ones every night, I rarely leave in the morning with all batteries charged. I can of course buy more chargers, and a multi-socket thing (hotel rooms rarely have enough sockets), but then I'm carrying so much stuff that the whole point of a compact camera system becomes a big question mark. When I used the D810, I mostly got around 2,000 clicks per battery, more at sports events where I shot bursts. The D610 that I use now gives me less, but with 3 batteries I would mostly be able to leave the charger in the bag or at home if I used this camera for travel.

Luckily, the newer high end Panasonic bodies are better than most mirrorless cameras when it comes to battery life. The GH3/4/5 and the G9 have big batteries and the G85 and GX9 (apparently) have very good battery saving modes. Why this new Fuji doesn't have a much larger battery is difficult to understand. They made it bigger to improve ergonomics for professional users but forgot about battery life?

I tried to use the GX8 at Singapore Airshow recently, and to save battery, I set the viewfinder to sleep after 30 seconds. What I found was that, even if I started touching the shutter release while the camera was on the way up to my eye, I often found myself staring into a black wall for a fraction of a second. That may sound like a bagatel, but for that short period of time, the following happens:

- The eye tries to adjust to the darkness, only to adjust back again when the viewfinder returns to life.
    - I get confused, and since whatever I'm supposed to take photos of moves with several hundred kph, it's suddenly in a totally other location than where I'm pointing the camera.
    - I miss the shot.

With a DSLR, I mostly don't bother about the sleep mode, since the camera consumes so little energy anyway and the viewfinder nothing, and even if it's sleeping or even completely switched off, the viewfinder is alive and well. Glass behaves like that.

Yes, the battery life of mirrorless cameras is a problem for me.
    All of that is possible and i understand.

I’ve shot Safari’s with older Sony Full Frame camera’s. Just wasn’t a real world issue for me. You essentially have 2 options - a few batteries or use a battery grip and get upwards of 1000+ shot per charge. Also CIPA ratings don’t take into account electronic shutters. Many of the A9 users were getting 1500-2000 (and many were getting over 2000) shots with an electronic shutter though the battery is rated for 5-600 shots.

My advice is to just try the camera out of it potentially interests you. There are things you just don’t capture from a spec sheet though specs can/do matter as well. I’d never suggest that they don’t.

On a side note I find it enlightening that Fujifilm split the video features and was forced to add about 4-5 video centric sub menus to this camera for functionality. For all the people that want a more simple camera but also one that will do everything - this may not be the one for you. I think it’s a great option for hybrid shooters that are used to this sort of camera and one that users of other mirrorless cameras will find to be a natural transition camera to. Also I love that they made the grip larger/deeper for those with big hands like myself... and yes I’m an ergonomic freak when it comes to that sort of thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'm not too excited about this camera. This camera is to compete with other video cameras and not so much to stills. Yes, IBIS is nice to have, but it generates heat and more battery draw. The prolonged use as a video camera should have warranted a bigger battery. The Xt3 will get a new sensor and probably be geared towards more traditional photography.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All of that is possible and i understand.

Iíve shot Safariís with older Sony Full Frame cameraís. Just wasnít a real world issue for me. You essentially have 2 options - a few batteries or use a battery grip and get upwards of 1000+ shot per charge. Also CIPA ratings donít take into account electronic shutters. Many of the A9 users were getting 1500-2000 (and many were getting over 2000) shots with an electronic shutter though the battery is rated for 5-600 shots.

My advice is to just try the camera out of it potentially interests you. There are things you just donít capture from a spec sheet though specs can/do matter as well. Iíd never suggest that they donít.

On a side note I find it enlightening that Fujifilm split the video features and was forced to add about 4-5 video centric sub menus to this camera for functionality. For all the people that want a more simple camera but also one that will do everything - this may not be the one for you. I think itís a great option for hybrid shooters that are used to this sort of camera and one that users of other mirrorless cameras will find to be a natural transition camera to. Also I love that they made the grip larger/deeper for those with big hands like myself... and yes Iím an ergonomic freak when it comes to that sort of thing.
    The A9 with grip and a couple of batteries is $5,000. I paid $800 for a more or less mint D610 with battery grip and two batteries. You can always claim that they are not comparable, but for my use they are. My local camera store has the following used mirrorless bodies for sale: A9 (2), A7 II, X-T2, X-T1, X-E1 (2), E-M1 II, E-M5, GX85.

Mint or "as new" bodies go for 20-30% under new price. E-M5 and X-E1 go for as low as $200, and these are low mileage bodies that look close to mint. The X-T2 and A7 II are both mint or as new and priced at $12-1300.

This is what these cameras are worth to buyers, those who don't get high on specs and the smell of new electronics.

He has no used DSLR bodies for sale. They fly out as soon as he gets them in.

--

As for the X-H1 as a hybrid camera... they said that about the X-T2 also and many were disappointed. It will have a very hard time competing with the GH5. The Panasonic is so well established with video shooters, and since the basic shape and ergonomics have been more or less unchanged since the GH3, there's a ton of accessories available, new and used. And the battery is bigger. It's like a Nikon F for video. Solid, versatile, boring and reliable.

I believe in the Fuji for stills, maybe more than with any other mirrorless camera, but I doubt that I will switch.

Post Thanks / Like

As a long tim XT2 shooter the only thing I hated about it was the battery life and the additional grip, as when screwed in it occasionally lost contact with the camera, also it was fixed tightly and that caused a lot of malfunction - including empty batteries in the grip, although they had not been used.

Also using this equipment on safari in remote lodges where you have only limited time electricity for loading batteries during night etc. made it pretty difficult to recharge my battery arsenal. So this is why I am still reluctant about these small batteries and had hoped for larger ones - just so simple

Everything else in the XH1 I just find perfect and will definitely try one as soon as available. With the 2.8/16-55 and my trusted 100-400 and the 1.2/56 that would just make up for a pretty perfect kit. And adding a used 1.4/35 and 1.4/23 is easy today and would keep kost down.

GAS is something pretty bad - isn't it?
    Last edited by ptomsu; 15th February 2018 at 12:41.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty interested in the camera. I may be looking this fall to upgrade my wife's X-T1 to something I can do portraits with in addition to short (few minutes here, few minutes there) non-professional video clips with decent video AF (face-detect AF in video a plus). The X-H1 could fit my needs better than the X-T2 but I'll have to test them both out when the time comes.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    As a long tim XT2 shooter the only thing I hated about it was the battery life and the additional grip, as when screwed in it occasionally lost contact with the camera, also it was fixed tightly and that caused a lot of malfunction - including empty batteries in the grip, although they had not been used.

Also the using this equipment on safari in remote lodges where you have only limited tim current during night etc. made it pretty difficult to recharge my battery arsenal. So this is why I am still reluctant about these small batteries and had hoped for larger ones - just so simple

Everything else in the XH1 I just find perfect and will definitely try one as soon as available. With the 2.8/16-55 and my trusted 100-400 and the 1.2/56 that would just make up for a pretty perfect kit. And adding a used 1.4/35 and 1.4/23 is easy today and would keep kost down.

GAS is something pretty bad - isn't it?
    For me about the only thing they could really use improvement is ironically the video performance as it pertains to including the additional frame rates (4k60) that the competition offers like the GH5 and whatís likely to come in the next round of Sony cameras and potentially the next high end Olympus camera. The bit rate is nice. The color space is adequate for most uses in reality as long as you arenít expecting to do any heavy grading. I half way expect Sony and Panasonic to offer 6k24/30 in the A7SIII/A9S and in the GH5 successor if it comes along with super sampled 4k60 or maybe higher frame rates for slow motion effects but itís all speculation on my part in reality. An anamorphic mode would be nice for Fuji to include as well.

Other than the video shortcomings (that may very well be solved through firmware) XH1 solves the few ďissuesĒ I had (and my personal list of wishes) with the XT2. If I do jump into the Fujifilm system this will be the X camera I purchase hands down. Still want to see if thereís any truth to the rumored GFX 50R and of so itís imperative that it has an articulating screen of some sort for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For me about the only thing they could really use improvement is ironically the video performance as it pertains to including the additional frame rates (4k60) that the competition offers like the GH5 and whatís likely to come in the next round of Sony cameras and potentially the next high end Olympus camera. The bit rate is nice. The color space is adequate for most uses in reality as long as you arenít expecting to do any heavy grading. I half way expect Sony and Panasonic to offer 6k24/30 in the A7SIII/A9S and in the GH5 successor if it comes along with super sampled 4k60 or maybe higher frame rates for slow motion effects but itís all speculation on my part in reality. An anamorphic mode would be nice for Fuji to include as well.

Other than the video shortcomings (that may very well be solved through firmware) XH1 solves the few ďissuesĒ I had (and my personal list of wishes) with the XT2. If I do jump into the Fujifilm system this will be the X camera I purchase hands down. Still want to see if thereís any truth to the rumored GFX 50R and of so itís imperative that it has an articulating screen of some sort for me.
    The X-H1 uses the same processor as the X-T2, and therein lies a limitation compared to the GH5 which apparently has more prosessing power. When that is said, the X-H1 also has a processing advantage compared to the GH5: Because the DFD focusing that the Panasonic uses requires much more processing power than the dual AF of the Fuji, Olympus and Sony cameras, AF capabilities slow down considerably when shooting 4K or high frame rate video with the GH5. For those who use manual focus, and that includes most professional users, this is not a big deal, but for many amateurs the Fuji might actually be a better alternative than the GH5 in spite of inferior video specifications.

Post Thanks / Like

The X-H1 uses the same processor as the X-T2, and therein lies a limitation compared to the GH5 which apparently has more prosessing power. When that is said, the X-H1 also has a processing advantage compared to the GH5: Because the DFD focusing that the Panasonic uses requires much more processing power than the dual AF of the Fuji, Olympus and Sony cameras, AF capabilities slow down considerably when shooting 4K or high frame rate video with the GH5. For those who use manual focus, and that includes most professional users, this is not a big deal, but for many amateurs the Fuji might actually be a better alternative than the GH5 in spite of inferior video specifications.
    The XH1 uses two of these processors of the XT2, that is double the performance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The XH1 uses two of these processors of the XT2, that is double the performance!
    All the better. Still, it offers only half the bit rate of the GH5 and no 10 bit video. There must be som magic going on in the GH5.

Post Thanks / Like

All the better. Still, it offers only half the bit rate of the GH5 and no 10 bit video. There must be som magic going on in the GH5.
    I think Panasonic has a lot functionality integrated in additional custom ASICS, which supports the CPU(s).

Anyway I am a bit upset that the XH1 comes again with that 1.17 crop in 4k video, that seems to be a sensor limitation. The GH5, G9 and EM1.2 all have full sensor readout in 4k. Interesting also that this fact gets never mentioned in any of the Fuji videos or advertisements - just as if this fact would not matter. For me it matters indeed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think Panasonic has a lot functionality integrated in additional custom ASICS, which supports the CPU(s).

Anyway I am a bit upset that the XH1 comes again with that 1.17 crop in 4k video, that seems to be a sensor limitation. The GH5, G9 and EM1.2 all have full sensor readout in 4k. Interesting also that this fact gets never mentioned in any of the Fuji videos or advertisements - just as if this fact would not matter. For me it matters indeed!
    It does matter. Again: There are many good reasons why m4/3 has become so popular among video shooters. The GH5s actually has a negative crop when shooting Cine 4K due to the oversized sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

For a minute I thought I was in the "Video Camera" forum...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The crop is mentioned in every video Iíve seen on Fujifilm cameras and even still the sensor area with the crop is still larger than a 4/3 camera sensor. Fuji is also supersampling the image to get 4K video from 5.somethingK video. Also thereís no sensor limitation in using the entire sensor. Itís likely a conscious choice to reduce rolling shutter even further. The Sony A6xxx series uses the exact same sensor and reads off the full sensor to supersample 6k to 4k video. The XT2 (and probably by extension the XH1) have slightly better rolling shutter performance than the A6xxx series and with the total sensor crop the lens crop becomes something like 1.7x so a 24mm equivalent becomes approximately a 27mm equivalent lens. Not a huge deal for most as an 18mm Fuji lens becomes a 30mm equivalent one and so on. The range gets covered.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually WRT 4k sensor crop - made up my mind and this is no further an issue for me - the 2.8/16-55 /that would be my standard go to lens for this system and the new x-H1 becomes a 2.8/18.7-64.3 that equals a 2.8/28-96.5 which is not bad at all!

WRT small batteries - I have learned to live with 3 (or Nx3) batteries and meanwhile have lot of charging solutions for this - so also that issue is gone.

Becomes much more interesting now as with just 3 or 5 lenses I would have my perfect dream system (16-55, 56, 100-400, and maybe 1.4/35 and TC1.4)😊

Maybe my m43 Olympus has to go ?????

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually WRT 4k sensor crop - made up my mind and this is no further an issue for me - the 2.8/16-55 /that would be my standard go to lens for this system and the new x-H1 becomes a 2.8/18.7-64.3 that equals a 2.8/28-96.5 which is not bad at all!

WRT small batteries - I have learned to live with 3 (or Nx3) batteries and meanwhile have lot of charging solutions for this - so also that issue is gone.

Becomes much more interesting now as with just 3 or 5 lenses I would have my perfect dream system (16-55, 56, 100-400, and maybe 1.4/35 and TC1.4)��

Maybe my m43 Olympus has to go ?????
    Yeah and that crop only applies to 4k video. For photography the standard 1.5x crop is maintained so it will still behave as a 24-85-ish/2.8 lens.

If you buy the battery grip kit then it comes with 3 batteries. I’ve had good look with Wasabi/Watson/Dot batteries personally for off brand options that are less expensive. You can also probably charge/power from a USB battery pack if in a remote location as a backup. So long as a camera has powering options battery life is the least of my worries in most cases.

Not saying you should switch from Micro 4/3 and I truly think it’s a case of it depends. Do you want a more compact camera or not, does medium format fit into your kit or not, and do you want native 4/3 aspect ratio or not. They’re different cameras with similar markets.

In any case I’ll have one in my hands on next Thursday to try out.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 16th February 2018 at 12:03.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It does matter. Again: There are many good reasons why m4/3 has become so popular among video shooters. The GH5s actually has a negative crop when shooting Cine 4K due to the oversized sensor.
    Even with a smaller crop factor the sensor area is still smaller than going APS-C if that matters for you. The Panasonic has some features more important to dedicated video shooters and pros but the AF isnít up to Canon Cinema Camera levels or up to the levels of most mass market cameras in its class. No this doesnít matter as much when using manual focus lenses but it does matter for some types of shooting if the camera wonít reliably autofucos all the time for the price theyíre charging for the camera. Iím generally photography centric though and while I couldíve gotten a XT2 for awhile thereís are significant ergonomic upgrades in the XH1 IMO. Also the improved EVF, larger grip, new submonitor, touchscreen, etc. is likely worth the extra $200 premium over the XT2.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I also think this may be an apples to oranges argument. Yes 10-bit is a higher color space and and the higher bit rate is nice. I wonder how much real world difference it will make... I mean no one was really complaining about A7SII video and what Iíve seen for the XH1 looks damn good. Most cameras are outputting 50mbit on the data rate side and a few are in the 80-100mbit range. Panasonic GH5 will do up to 400 and most true cinema cameras are in the 500-700+ range for something like an Arri.

The point is that all of these cameras are highly capable options... but I do believe that going with 4K60 is a large oversight because these next cameras will likely start pushing 6K and 4K120 in the next 2 years or so.

Post Thanks / Like

10 bit and higher bit rate are a must if one needs this professionally - BUT I don't and it would just fill up my storage much faster - which I do not want and do not need.

So yes, actually the X-H1 video capabilities seem to be more than sufficient for my purposes - and this is all what matters to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jdphoto View Post
    For a minute I thought I was in the "Video Camera" forum...
    Fuji is focusing heavily on the video improvements of the X-H1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also think this may be an apples to oranges argument. Yes 10-bit is a higher color space and and the higher bit rate is nice. I wonder how much real world difference it will make... I mean no one was really complaining about A7SII video and what Iíve seen for the XH1 looks damn good. Most cameras are outputting 50mbit on the data rate side and a few are in the 80-100mbit range. Panasonic GH5 will do up to 400 and most true cinema cameras are in the 500-700+ range for something like an Arri.

The point is that all of these cameras are highly capable options... but I do believe that going with 4K60 is a large oversight because these next cameras will likely start pushing 6K and 4K120 in the next 2 years or so.
    I agree that the lack of 4K60 is a bigger problem, and at 4K30, the lower bitrate won't be a problem. If I've understood things correctly, 10-bit is mostly an advantage when shooting low ISO and with LOG profiles, which means heavy editing in post. The discussions around this topic tend to be very technical though, and I often give up understanding the arguments

The GH5 also offers 1080P180 (with a crop I think). I believe the G9 would be a more fair comparison to the X-H1 though, but that one also offers 4K60 and 1080p 180fps in VFR mode.

The video crop factor is problematic for two reasons:

- Wide angle lenses sometimes won't be wide enough.
    - For those who shoot video and stills, there will be different angles of view for the two modes.

It's obviously possible to make excellent video with any of these cameras. I currently use the old, obsolete GX8 for video and the quality is mostly good enough for my needs, unfortunately except for the bitrate when I shoot complex industrial scenes where there tends to be lots of movement

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the lack of 4K60 is a bigger problem, and at 4K30, the lower bitrate won't be a problem. If I've understood things correctly, 10-bit is mostly an advantage when shooting low ISO and with LOG profiles, which means heavy editing in post. The discussions around this topic tend to be very technical though, and I often give up understanding the arguments

The GH5 also offers 1080P180 (with a crop I think). I believe the G9 would be a more fair comparison to the X-H1 though, but that one also offers 4K60 and 1080p 180fps in VFR mode.

The video crop factor is problematic for two reasons:

- Wide angle lenses sometimes won't be wide enough.
    - For those who shoot video and stills, there will be different angles of view for the two modes.

It's obviously possible to make excellent video with any of these cameras. I currently use the old, obsolete GX8 for video and the quality is mostly good enough for my needs, unfortunately except for the bitrate when I shoot complex industrial scenes where there tends to be lots of movement
    10 bit is referring to the color space and the amount of colors that can be displayed. 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 is referring to the compression algorithm that affects the amount of digital manipulation you’re able to perform before the image begins to break up. Bit rate is referring to the amount of data potentially captured. Log is just a flat color profile but in many cases noise is more visible prior to a LUT being utilized. That’s the simplified version.

The reason people like at a minimum 4:2:2 is because it allows simple manipulation without breaking up. 4:4:4 is preferred but usually only offered in pro level cinema cameras. Essentially Fujifilm cameras allow one to apply any of their film simulations directly to the recording so it makes the 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 compression available a little more moot if it works with the intended final look you want. A lot of that depends on how the deliverables need to be output. 10 bit 4:4:4/4:2:2 is usually used for broadcast standards because of the amount of devices the video needs to go through before actually being output... again this is being simplified.

As for the crop factor they have native lenses available or on the roadmap that are as wide as 8mm which would be about a 14mm equivalent. If you can’t capture it with that then maybe you need to rethink the framing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    All fine by me . . Except the. Big Lenses.
    Just a short note on the big lenses- there are several primes now that are both good and not so big. I agree that if you go to the pro zooms, then size is big, though they are giving you effectively an F2.0 m43/rds zoom equiv. for DOF and light gather.

In my case I give more priority to size, so. Anyhow, looks like a great camera, and Fuji sure seems to continue relentlessly on the market.

- Ricardo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...and Iím glad to see theyíve removed the unneccessary compensation dial and put a useful LCD there instead!
    That dial is one of the best things, IMHO. I love it on my X pro2 and RX-1. Until I got one of those, I did not enjoy auto exposure modes.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    That dial is one of the best things, IMHO. I love it on my X pro2 and RX-1. Until I got one of those, I did not enjoy auto exposure modes.
    Full range utilization of the EC dial requires “C” and thumb wheel anyway. The new implementation is somewhat clever in that the button can either be “on while pressing” or “toggle on/off.” There have been times that the EC dial has been upset by me or camera bag, etc. I’m with Jono on this one and will appreciate the change in the way EC is implemented.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree to this. It's one of those adjustments that sometimes has to be done within a fraction of a second. When it's on a separate wheel, I always know where it is. I would have given priority to that dial over ISO as well as exposure time.

Post Thanks / Like

I must say that I hated the exposure dial - did not work seamlessly at least for me (not right position and to stiff on the XT2) and I prefer definitely that this function can be put now on any other dial. I would leave it on front dial - as my EM1.2 and be just fine. This is the most intuitive way of shooting for me.

The X-H1 does this really right
    Last edited by ptomsu; 18th February 2018 at 01:19.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Will And Jorgen
    I don’t mean I don’t need a dial for exposure compensation. I have one one every camera I have. I just don’t need an explicit dial (which has the added difficulty of not being able to set it in a user profile (and the further likelihood of being set by itself in my bag. ))
    Last edited by jonoslack; 18th February 2018 at 14:19.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wonder what the manufacturing and design costs of the X-H1 are compared to a XT-2? The profit margin has to be much higher on these luxury models like the Sony A9, Olympus whatever, etc.

Remember that the argument in favor of the mirrorless cameras was that they used far less complex parts and mechanisms, they could be assembled faster and easier and require less human aided calibration? Funny how you don't hear that much anymore and the mirrorless cameras cost more than their equivalent OVF DSLR counterparts like Canon Rebels, Nikon D5500s, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
    I wonder what the manufacturing and design costs of the X-H1 are compared to a XT-2? The profit margin has to be much higher on these luxury models like the Sony A9, Olympus whatever, etc.

Remember that the argument in favor of the mirrorless cameras was that they used far less complex parts and mechanisms, they could be assembled faster and easier and require less human aided calibration? Funny how you don't hear that much anymore and the mirrorless cameras cost more than their equivalent OVF DSLR counterparts like Canon Rebels, Nikon D5500s, etc.
    "DSLR counterparts like Canon Rebels, Nikon D5500s"? I haven't used a Canon Rebel lately, but I have used a Nikon D5500. The image quality is fantastic, and runs circles around many cameras that are much more expensive. Apart from that, it's a little plastic camera with mediocre ergonomics and a terrible viewfinder. I've considered it many times, but since the viewfinder is kind of important to actually see what I'm taking photos of, it was a no-go for me.

So I tried its slightly larger brother, the D7500, when it was launched. That camera has a terrific sensor as well, and the ergonomics are actually pretty good. So is the viewfinder, except that the diopter adjustment maxes out at +1, and there's no optional add-on to change that, which mean that I would have to use glasses to see what I'm doing, something I really hate.

So what I would need to compare with the GX8 that I currently use is the D500, which is much bigger, as expensive as the mirrorless top models (except the full frame Sonys) and so on. I do have a D610 for when I need full frame and/or an optical viewfinder. Image quality is great, ergonomics so so and viewfinder had to be modified for my needs, but at least it doesn't drain my wallet. From a usability point of view though, the GX8 is a much better option, and it allows me to shoot very high quality video while looking through the viewfinder. Try that with a DSLR.

I think the price/simplicity argument for mirrorless cameras died with the Panasonic GH1, almost 10 years ago. There are of course simple, compact, cheap mirrorless cameras that are much smaller and p&s like than any DSLR, but advanced users mostly want exactly the same from a mirrorless as from a DSLR, and being tiny isn't always an advantage. And as for great viewfinders, they are expensive whatever way you make them, or so it seems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"DSLR counterparts like Canon Rebels, Nikon D5500s"? I haven't used a Canon Rebel lately, but I have used a Nikon D5500. The image quality is fantastic, and runs circles around many cameras that are much more expensive. Apart from that, it's a little plastic camera with mediocre ergonomics and a terrible viewfinder. I've considered it many times, but since the viewfinder is kind of important to actually see what I'm taking photos of, it was a no-go for me.

So I tried its slightly larger brother, the D7500, when it was launched. That camera has a terrific sensor as well, and the ergonomics are actually pretty good. So is the viewfinder, except that the diopter adjustment maxes out at +1, and there's no optional add-on to change that, which mean that I would have to use glasses to see what I'm doing, something I really hate.

So what I would need to compare with the GX8 that I currently use is the D500, which is much bigger, as expensive as the mirrorless top models (except the full frame Sonys) and so on. I do have a D610 for when I need full frame and/or an optical viewfinder. Image quality is great, ergonomics so so and viewfinder had to be modified for my needs, but at least it doesn't drain my wallet. From a usability point of view though, the GX8 is a much better option, and it allows me to shoot very high quality video while looking through the viewfinder. Try that with a DSLR.

I think the price/simplicity argument for mirrorless cameras died with the Panasonic GH1, almost 10 years ago. There are of course simple, compact, cheap mirrorless cameras that are much smaller and p&s like than any DSLR, but advanced users mostly want exactly the same from a mirrorless as from a DSLR, and being tiny isn't always an advantage. And as for great viewfinders, they are expensive whatever way you make them, or so it seems.
    Oh I am sympathetic, I even preferred my Panasonic G1 EVF to anything else in 2009 because you could review your photos. It worked very well in the dark with flash and even now the old 12mp files still hold up.

Every time I pick up a higher end Olympus or get suckered into buy the latest Fuji X100stx series I fall in love with the heft and tactile knobs, the overall first impressions are great. Of course I end up not buying or selling them because of UI, image quality, or simple ergonomics (buttons and grip too small for large hands). But I do wonder why Nikon and Canon can't do better?

But I clearly remember people going on about the cost savings of mirrorless and instead we got lower sales volume, higher margin cameras.

Here's an old Pany G1 shot for entertainment, maxed out ISO and noise:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20090924_meagan_shakti_danceing_g1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	388.8 KB 
ID:	132537  

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But I clearly remember people going on about the cost savings of mirrorless and instead we got lower sales volume, higher margin cameras.
    And these people were who? Sales volume for cameras in general are low. Margins, regardless of camera type, are low too. If you want to make a ton of cash, I would suggest another industry.

I was a former Konica Minolta employee that worked with camera product teams in Japan, just in case you wanted to know...
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And these people were who? Sales volume for cameras in general are low. Margins, regardless of camera type, are low too. If you want to make a ton of cash, I would suggest another industry.

I was a former Konica Minolta employee that worked with camera product teams in Japan, just in case you wanted to know...
    Mainly Thom Hogan but what does he know?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I use a phone, but that does not make me an expert in the telecommunication industry.
    Will

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, certainly less than someone who worked for Konica Minolta in Japan! I really like Thom, but he is a punter, like many others, and he has an agenda and a living to learn as well as knowledge.

Fuji are making truck loads of money - but a little close examination shows that over 80% of it is coming from the Instax range.

I quite agree with Jorgen - the current top of the range Ķ43 cameras seem to me to be set straight against the D500 (nothing lower) - I’ve owned an Olympus OMD E-M1 mk2, a Fuji X-T2, a Nikon D500 and a Panasonic G9 in the last few months and each has it’s advantages (and disadvantages).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Well, certainly less than someone who worked for Konica Minolta in Japan! I really like Thom, but he is a punter, like many others, and he has an agenda and a living to learn as well as knowledge.

Fuji are making truck loads of money - but a little close examination shows that over 80% of it is coming from the Instax range.

I quite agree with Jorgen - the current top of the range Ķ43 cameras seem to me to be set straight against the D500 (nothing lower) - I’ve owned an Olympus OMD E-M1 mk2, a Fuji X-T2, a Nikon D500 and a Panasonic G9 in the last few months and each has it’s advantages (and disadvantages).
    The X-H1 for me tops all the cameras you mentioned because of several reasons - and I would switch if I could decide without any system I already own. But switching to the X-H1 - not sure because then all these reasons and features topping the other cameras are not quite enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When comparing the price of technologies, it's important to consider the real costs, not only what seems to be more expensive. Although a mirror/viewfinder is certainly more mechanically complex than an LCD and a few cables, the SLR technology is very mature, and there's little innovation needed. Most or all of the parts can be manufactured without human intervention and assembled by low or unskilled labour, often in low cost countries like Nikon does in Thailand. The big difference compared to electronics is that the price won't go much down with increasing production figures because of the manual labour part, but since mirrorless cameras are produced in relatively small numbers, both as a total and not least because there are many suppliers and even more models per supplier involved, they don't really harvest the electronics advantage. DSLR manufacturers have the great advantage of being only two and a half (that would be Canon, Nikon and Pntx), with camera models that are manufactured without much change year after year.

For some reason, this reminds me of a conversation I had with an engineer at Xerox when I worked there back in the day. I was impressed with the speed of the top model, which at the time was the Xerox 9500 that could copy 120 A4 sheets per minute, so I asked this slightly naive question: how is that even possible.

The answer was still interesting: You design and optimise every little part in the mechanical paper path using very small tolerances until there's little resistance, neither mechanically nor aerodynamically. The next and obvious question from me was then: Why aerodynamically? The answer to that is that the next challenge, and the one that ultimately decides the maximum number of copies that can be produced per minute, is the aerodynamics of a single, 80g sheet of A4 paper. So the limit for single sheet paper is absolute, and the only way to get around it is using paper on roll, which is what IBM did with the 3800 laser printer.

Here's also one clear parallell to DSLR vs. mirrorless cameras. There's a physical limit as to how fast it's realistic to move the mirror and a mechanical shutter (unless one uses rotating shutters like in cine cameras). By using electronics, there are no such limits, at least none that we need to worry about. The question then is how useful these high shutter speeds and frame rates are for "ordinary" people, which is probably one of the reasons why DSLR cameras still survive and sell in higher numbers than the mirrorless alternatives.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    Just a short note on the big lenses- there are several primes now that are both good and not so big. I agree that if you go to the pro zooms, then size is big, though they are giving you effectively an F2.0 m43/rds zoom equiv. for DOF and light gather.
    For DOF - but surely not for light gathering?

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post
    In my case I give more priority to size, so. Anyhow, looks like a great camera, and Fuji sure seems to continue relentlessly on the market.

- Ricardo
    Hi there Ricardo
    The only prime I have much experience of is the 50 f2, which performed well enough but had rather sluggish AF.

Whatever - I’ve no real interest in primes for Fuji or Ķ43 as I’d rather shoot a Leica prime on an M10. It’s the zooms which interest me primarily.

All the best

Just this guy you know

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's also one clear parallell to DSLR vs. mirrorless cameras. There's a physical limit as to how fast it's realistic to move the mirror and a mechanical shutter (unless one uses rotating shutters like in cine cameras). By using electronics, there are no such limits, at least none that we need to worry about. The question then is how useful these high shutter speeds and frame rates are for "ordinary" people, which is probably one of the reasons why DSLR cameras still survive and sell in higher numbers than the mirrorless alternatives.
    I am particularly fond of a DSLR with Live View and an electronic shutter. I wonder how hard it would be to have a secondary mirror in the viewfinder that allowed either an optical path or a view of an EVF screen so one could really have both in the same body.

--Matt

Vivek

Is anyone buying this camera?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    That's a relevant question

I'm not, since I'm too deeply dug into m4/3 and can't afford a system change now. However, I see this as probably the most attractive camera for stills at the moment, if size isn't a problem. The body isn't larger than a G9, but the lenses certainly are and I trust Panasonic ergonomics more. The great prize is Fuji's excellent stills quality. If I did photography for a living, two of these bodies would be very tempting.

Ask me again in 10 months. If I do, it will be a replacement for Nikon FX, not for m4/3. m4/3 is unbeatable when it comes to smallness

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Not decided yet. I am currently only invested in m43 (Olympus EM1.2 and Pro lenses) and I do know from my long term use of different Fuji gear (latest X-T2 with 100-400 and 18-55) how extremely gorgeous this X-system is. This makes me think of getting back into again and then I would definitely go with the X-H1.

For me it is rather the question if I should keep all my "old" Leica M gear (bodies and lenses) as I tried hard over the past 9 years to get back into shooting Leica - and the M10 or the SL would be the 2 models that could make that happen for me, but I am hesitating since this means a huge investment and I am not sure if the results will make up for this effort - at least for me.

On the other side I see Fuji doing many things right - especially now with the introduction of IBIS, that feature I missed with the X-T2 and I really wanted that for more efficiently using prime lenses. Not to forget the vastly improved AF system of the X-H1 and also the much better EVF than the really miserable old world EVF from the EM1.2 (shame on Olympus that they did not integrate such an EVF in this camera some 18 months ago, because technology was very well there).

So here you have it - I am kind of sitting between chairs - or call it sitting on the fence to get an X-H1