The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A trip through the Balkans..

rayyan

The following images were taken by Ayesha, as she traveled through 5 countries in the Balkans with her XT-1 and the 18-55mm zoom, returning home a few days ago.
I was in the Philippines during this time.

Bosnia/Herzegovina
Croatia
Montenegro
Serbia
Albania

Rich in history and culture. Scenic such that camera cannot do justice. friendly and hospitable.

Sarajevo. Cemetery honoring some of the dead in the Genocide that took place around Bosnia/Herzegovina.

Shashin

Rayyan, I am not sure it was planned, but the sign behind the children is poignant and adds a rather chilling dimension to the picture.

rayyan

Hi Will.

Thanks for stopping by.

According to my wife, the only thing was to position the kids, who happened along the street, at this location.
She too thought that the sign was a poignant reminder of recent history.

Best.

Rayyan, I am not sure it was planned, but the sign behind the children is poignant and adds a rather chilling dimension to the picture.

rayyan

hey guys, much appreciated.

An image from the south of Bosnia/Herzegovina.
A truly gem of a place...Mostar.

I mean folks, we are talking about pre-medieval times. Cobblestone streets, bridges, winding alleyways..the works.
And the color...and the people. To be seen to be appreciated...

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
hey guys, much appreciated.

An image from the south of Bosnia/Herzegovina.
A truly gem of a place...Mostar.

I mean folks, we are talking about pre-medieval times. Cobblestone streets, bridges, winding alleyways..the works.
And the color...and the people. To be seen to be appreciated...
Was there visiting when I was a boy - some 50+ years ago :D

Still looks great and beautiful ...

Thorkil

Was there visiting when I was a boy - some 50+ years ago :D

Still looks great and beautiful ...
And I was there too, when I was 19, travelling alone in the winter, just about some 46 years ago, in a raw VW bus, to sleep in (one wouln't dare that any more),
before the Balkan war demolished the original and famous bridge from around year 1500.
thorkil

rayyan

Peter, Nelson, Thorkil, Nelson..thank you kind people..:thumbs:
Thorkil, many things have changed my friend. Many things have been destroyed in this region. A pity.

And I was there too, when I was 19, travelling alone in the winter, just about some 46 years ago, in a raw VW bus, to sleep in (one wouln't dare that any more),
before the Balkan war demolished the original and famous bridge from around year 1500.
thorkil

Thorkil

Peter, Nelson, Thorkil, Nelson..thank you kind people..:thumbs:
Thorkil, many things have changed my friend. Many things have been destroyed in this region. A pity.
Yes, Rayyan, its insane thoughts that is driven people at war, sheer and rough oppression one might somehow sometime understand, but that was not the case this time, in 1971 people in Ohrid, near Albanian border predicted at me there would be war when president Tito would die.
It took some years, but it came. Shame on leaders who encourage people at war.
best Thorkil

rayyan

Thorkil, Nelson..thanks guys for your encouragement..:salute:

Thorkil, I stopped contemplating the follies of the humans a long time ago...futile.

Mostar is truly an unbelievably beautiful city..no doubt about it.

Thorkil

Thorkil, I stopped contemplating the follies of the humans a long time ago...futile.

Mostar is truly an unbelievably beautiful city..no doubt about it.
Rayyan, seen at the very long perspective, nothing really positive have happened (apart from the Df naturally :p ) on earth since we arose from the monkey-level, one could claim we would have been better off, staying there. But as my old ingeneer told me "Thorkil don't worry, the earth will survive...ist only mankind that will vanish...". I don't know if it was meant to be a comforting thought...
Well Rayyan, that's a beautiful picture of a beautiful town!, I wasn't aware it was that beautiful, at that time I was in a total lack of human company for a long time, driving through remote areas, and drove strangely direct to the big busstation with the old big waiting room and stayed there for several hours just to have human company before driving on..now I wish I could explore it once more..

rayyan

Ayesha parks herself on the inter-country motorway leading into Croatia.

To the spectacularly beautiful walled port city of Dubrovnik.
But that has to be another thread, for another day..

Madness, I say.
Ayesha tells me that you live only twice. One life for yourself. And one life for your dreams.
Madness, I repeat.

You exist Rayyan, she replies. I choose to live.

Thank you for being with us on this sector of our Balkan trip. Thank you also for your generous comments and encouragement.

Kindest regards.
Ayesha.