The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji S1-S2-S3-S5 Pro

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Back in the day, we used to post images from F-mount Fuji cameras on the Nikon forum, but when looking at the files, they are very, very Fuji. I was looking for som old images for a brochure I'm making, and when I found the file, I saw that they were all taken with the S5. I have to say that I'm surprised how nice these files look. I'll do some more digging later, and I'll also take the S3 and S5 that I still have for a spin during the Songkran Holiday in a few weeks. Image is from March 2009.

S5 with Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AF @ f/2.8

bensonga

Bought my Fuji S5 Pro after reading a few of Jorgen's posts and seeing some of his images taken with it. Wish I had taken a few photos worth sharing here now, but this is the best I can do. Previously posted on the Nikon forum. Certainly not a photo that shows the best of what the Fuji S5 can do re skin tones etc, but I've never been very good at taking pictures of people anyways. They are such inexpensive cameras now. Very capable of producing excellent photos in the right hands (as seen in Jorgen's photo above).

Gary

S5 Pro and Nikon 28/1.8G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Time to take a long look in the back mirror. I found a bunch of Eneloops in my drawer. What to use them for? The S3 of course. This was my first DSLR, and it's really been well used. Still, everything works. I'll use this for a while now. Sorry for the terrible office lighting and green fringing that I forgot to remove.

Fuji S3 with Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF @ f/1.8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Time to try some real photography with this old steam engine. In this photo, the sparks flying from the grinder looked completely blown out when opening the RAW file, but the old Fuji still had the colour info intact. By reducing highlights by 50-100, they became shining yellow to orange. This photo taken at ISO 400. Yes, at maximum DR shooting RAW, the buffer runs full after 4 images. Maybe I should look for the upgraded version that allows 8 RAW images per burst?

S3 with Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF @ f/1.8 and ISO 400

The S3 can be found on eBay for $100-200 and the lens for around $100. Would I recommend this combo to someone getting started with advanced photography? You bet I would. Add a 35-70mm f/2.8 for a couple of hundred and an old wide angle like the 20mmm AiS and you're ready to go.

Oren Grad

Thanks for bringing back some memories... I had an S5 for a few months back in 2007... still have all the RAFs in my archive. Here are a couple I pulled just now and ran through ACR 9.1.1. Nothing to write home about as pictures, but they do give a good sense of the kind of color I used to get from the camera. Back in the day I tinkered a bit with Fuji Hyper-Utility too, but for most files it was more hassle than it was worth.

I should add that I processed these as 6MP files, then downsized for display jpgs. The interpolated pseudo-12MP mode that Fuji used to promote with the S5 was a kludge that just made pictures look worse.

Both with the AF-S Nikkor 17-35/2.8, camera at ISO 200.

rollsman44

Thank you for sharing. They look excellent and even to todays standards they still shine with IQ. Thanks Dennis

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
- So what you're saying is that you like the output from this camera better than what you get from the cool, new cameras that you have?
- Yes, doctor, that's right.
- I'm afraid that you'll need some very strong medicine. Come back next week, and I'll make a mix at the back room, and don't buy any new cameras in the meantime!

Fuji S5 with Nikkor 70-300mm ED @ 250mm and f/7.1

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Went for a stroll around the block. That lens doesn't live up to current standards, but the cameras is fine :)

S3 with Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 @ 70mm and f/8

If you wonder why your intrnet is slow, it's probably caught up around here somewhere... :wtf:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm experimenting with DxO PhotoLab. Very interesting software, particularly for files coming from old and/or noisy cameras. This one is based on a 12MP jpeg out of camera from the S3 with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF @ f/3.3 and ISO 1600, taken in December 2005, on the king's birthday.