The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Don’t like Fuji’s XF lenses...

rayyan

The recent ‘ technically excellent ones ‘.

I love the ‘ faulty ‘ ones.

The ones that have vignetting, flare, spherical aberrations, ‘ slowwww ‘ ones.

I have an umbrella for rainy days. For dust storms..no ‘ WR ‘ is going to save your
a** or your equipment. I know, friends.

So here are my Fuji lens picks...I don’t understand folks that talk about ‘ travel lenses ‘ as opposed to ‘ other ‘ lenses. I use the same, coz I like the results from them at home or abroad. Surprise!

Fuji 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2.
Zooms...18-55.
And If pressed...
14/2.8, 90/2

Wasted money on 16/1.4, 16-55, 35/2.

Always in my bag..ready to go 35/1.4 and my XP2.

By the way, I fractured my toe, and sprained my index finger yesterday when I slipped. I was carrying the XH-1 and the 16-55.
An omen not to carry this combo! For me :)

Shashin

Sorry to hear about your fall, but that is not a reason to take it out on your equipment. :toocool:

Seriously, I hope you are OK. These things don't become easier over time.

Last edited:

tcdeveau

Sorry about the toe, hope it gets better soon.

I really like the 35mm f1.4 and making use of the flare.

I'm also really enjoying the 56mm f1.2. I've got it paired with the X-E3, and although it's comical looking because the lens is huge compared to the camera, it's a great tiny portrait package.
-Todd

rayyan

Will, I blame everything on my equipment.
The only things around the household that don’t answer back none!

I blame the snowfall we have been having for my fractured toe.

I blame others for my images. Their evil eye!

Take care.

Sorry to hear about your fall, but that is not a reason to take it out on your equipment. :too cool:

Seriously, I hope you are OK. These things don't become easier over time.

rayyan

Sapphire, Todd...thanks for stopping by.

Todd, 2 lenses that have yet to be beat. Nice combo of lenses.
I would immediately replace my 35/1.4 if something happened to it.

Best.

Sorry about the toe, hope it gets better soon.

I really like the 35mm f1.4 and making use of the flare.

I'm also really enjoying the 56mm f1.2. I've got it paired with the X-E3, and although it's comical looking because the lens is huge compared to the camera, it's a great tiny portrait package.
-Todd

Thorkil

Will, I blame everything on my equipment.
Rayyan, you better get the mirrorless Nikon then, Im sure it will turn out to be the more secure solution:toocool:, and by that time I hope both your toe and fingers will be ready for the challenge :thumbup:
best Thorkil

segedi

The 35mm f/1.4 is a keeper. Tiny when compared to SLR. Not the fastest or quietest to focus, like the f/2, but I like it!

The 56mm is hit or miss. The thing is hard to focus sometimes, keeps hunting depending on light/contrast.

A 50mm Leica Summilux is a dream to focus on the X-T1. Fuji did a nice job with focus peaking and magnification.

rayyan

Hi Thorkil.

I shall wait for reviews. By early users on this forum.
In the meantime, I was thinking of rehashing some images from my archives, and post them here :facesmack:

Shall save money while I am immobile for 6 weeks at least.

Take care pal.

Rayyan, you better get the mirrorless Nikon then, Im sure it will turn out to be the more secure solution:toocool:, and by that time I hope both your toe and fingers will be ready for the challenge :thumbup:
best Thorkil

rayyan

People, correctly, tell me I am not a speed demon...age they say.
So the 2 Fuji lenses you mentioned suit my temperament.

I don’t use, nor want to use, non native XF mount lenses on my Fujis.

Best wishes.

The 35mm f/1.4 is a keeper. Tiny when compared to SLR. Not the fastest or quietest to focus, like the f/2, but I like it!

The 56mm is hit or miss. The thing is hard to focus sometimes, keeps hunting depending on light/contrast.

A 50mm Leica Summilux is a dream to focus on the X-T1. Fuji did a nice job with focus peaking and magnification.

Thorkil

Hi Thorkil.

I shall wait for reviews. By early users on this forum.
In the meantime, I was thinking of rehashing some images from my archives, and post them here :facesmack:

Shall save money while I am immobile for 6 weeks at least.

Take care pal.
Hi Rayyan
Sorry for late answer, I’m in Italy now, trying to concentrate on doing absolutely nothing sensible at all, therefore only looking now and then…
Yes, I will read reviews on the mirrorless FF Nikon too before choosing. My dream is a reassuring feeling like af Df, a bit soft-way processing in the sensor and engine, a bit like the Df, the classic and delicate way, together with a M6 lightness and simplicity (that will not happen, I’m afraid, but I’m dreaming).
My Df (got two now) is a keeper, the X-T2 is a keeper, but if the X-T3 provide a softer processing than the almost harsh processing of the X-T2, that could be a turning-point Fuji-wise, but I have my doubt.
The X-E3 is a disappointment size-wise, to big to be a pocket-camera in a small beltbag like the Ricoh GR, when mounted with the XF 18, the 27 is more wellsuited but not wide enough. And too small to suit in a normal-small slingbag.
The FF Mirrorless Nikon could be the camera for the non-too-seriously-relaxed pictures, the almost-always go-to camera, the camera you will grab with joy hurrying out in the fresh air, without planning, the camera that will talk to you like the M6 did….hhmmm (prayingtime)
Best thorkil
Ps. Rayyan, take care in the following slow 6 weeks, and hope you get healthy recovery!, and do post some pictures!

Last edited:

rayyan

Peter, Thorkil...thank you.

Thorkil.

Congratulations for 2 Dfs. I like them too. And you have mentioned something I couldn't describe..' the softness '. YES! So much better than the D750 and the X-Trans. I, too am very much leaning that way.

Italy is a lovely place. Where are you based, or are moving around?

Get yourself into fashion my friend, and go to Milan where it is at!!

I am alone at home! Ayesha in the U.S and Canada and later joining my sons and family in Portugal.
I had an appointment today with the ortho doctor...Wants to see me after 2 weeks. Said the cast is the only treatment as it, luckily, is a simple straight toe bone fracture not requiring any surgical intervention.

Yes, the Nikon mirrorless. Not really in any hurry for that.

Take care Thorkil and enjoy your stay in Italy; best place to do nothing.

ciao!

Hi Rayyan
Sorry for late answer, I’m in Italy now, trying to concentrate on doing absolutely nothing sensible at all, therefore only looking now and then…
Yes, I will read reviews on the mirrorless FF Nikon too before choosing. My dream is a reassuring feeling like af Df, a bit soft-way processing in the sensor and engine, a bit like the Df, the classic and delicate way, together with a M6 lightness and simplicity (that will not happen, I’m afraid, but I’m dreaming).
My Df (got two now) is a keeper, the X-T2 is a keeper, but if the X-T3 provide a softer processing than the almost harsh processing of the X-T2, that could be a turning-point Fuji-wise, but I have my doubt.
The X-E3 is a disappointment size-wise, to big to be a pocket-camera in a small beltbag like the Ricoh GR, when mounted with the XF 18, the 27 is more wellsuited but not wide enough. And too small to suit in a normal-small slingbag.
The FF Mirrorless Nikon could be the camera for the non-too-seriously-relaxed pictures, the almost-always go-to camera, the camera you will grab with joy hurrying out in the fresh air, without planning, the camera that will talk to you like the M6 did….hhmmm (prayingtime)
Best thorkil
Ps. Rayyan, take care in the following slow 6 weeks, and hope you get healthy recovery!, and do post some pictures!

Thorkil

Peter, Thorkil...thank you.

Thorkil.

Congratulations for 2 Dfs. I like them too. And you have mentioned something I couldn't describe..' the softness '. YES! So much better than the D750 and the X-Trans. I, too am very much leaning that way.

Italy is a lovely place. Where are you based, or are moving around?

Get yourself into fashion my friend, and go to Milan where it is at!!

I am alone at home! Ayesha in the U.S and Canada and later joining my sons and family in Portugal.
I had an appointment today with the ortho doctor...Wants to see me after 2 weeks. Said the cast is the only treatment as it, luckily, is a simple straight toe bone fracture not requiring any surgical intervention.

Yes, the Nikon mirrorless. Not really in any hurry for that.

Take care Thorkil and enjoy your stay in Italy; best place to do nothing.

ciao!
Hi Rayyan…thanks. The one Df should be for dusty environment when looking after at a renovating-project I have on a large building the famous Danish architect Poul Henningsen made in 1924 (the man who designed the PH-lamps), but in practice I’m grabbing the X-T2 with the XF 10-24 on, while its light and small (compared with the Df with a Tamron 15-30) in my little sling-bag, and don’t disturb while climbing on the roofs.
Glad you are leaning towards the soft well-damped drawing of the Df too..
Yes in 2003 Irene and I bought a house in San Zeno di Montagna, builded around the 1760’ties, restored in 1992, you’ll get the view from the livingroom from 1’st floor downunder, with view at Lago di Garda and the mountains towards west. Irene has all her life dreamt of a house in Italy, and she dragged me around in our summer holidays while we and our 3 kids were at camping by the lake. I was really tired of camping, by then. When we were going though a gateway, getting this view downunder I claimed “If its was here….”…I was standing on the doormat. So, Irene took me by my word (even though I tried to get of the hook). So here we are 3 times a year…(and its not that bad either, staying here, there are almost no tourists (at least not that many), you hear Italian language all the time, which is a wonderful music in my ear (Irene is speaking it too, I dont)…and going to a David Gilmour concert in the Arena in Verone aint that bad either), and once in a while to Venice about 110 kilometers (68miles) aways, so its hard to complain…
Rayyan then you is forced to relax for 6 weeks, and get mental strengthened, ready to join Ayesha when she is coming home and will be dragging you out on new adventures all over the world (remember, it’s the challenges from our energetic wife’s that’s keeping us alive and relative fit…even though one can only dream of a calm sofa now and then..).
Good it is a simple fracture!
Don’t know about Milan, it was just not me, can’t explain why , but Verona, and specially Venice (out of the tourist-season and -areas), Vicenza, and specially some areas of Bologna (then one got the excuse to visit Marenello and Ferrari too)….they got the mood for me.
Yes, I hope some of my dreams come through with the mirrorless Nikon FF (and the purse will agree).
Relaxed recovering and post processing to you Rayyan!
:thumbup:

Fuji X-T2 with XF 10-24 at iso400 1/500 f8 10mm through C1pro11win

thorkil

rayyan

Thorkil, take Irene’s advice and keep her happy. You shall then be much happier too:)

Italy must be nice to live in. Milan has its charms, but only for a few days.
Venice has become too touristy, like many other cities unfortunately.

Ayesha is planning trip to Greenland, next year. We need a special visa to go there. I might just go with her, for curiosity and photography?

Meet some reindeer’s, I hope.

Stay well.
Regards to yourself n family.

Thorkil

Yes Rayyan, Both Irene and I are trying to recover after a year and a half with way too much work, by doing nothing at all. I promished for the last part of the vacation try not to answer working-mails.
Photoinspiration havn't grown upon me yet, unforthunatly, I guess it slowly will come back when I stop working by the end of the year, I hope.
Greenland is somehow a part of Denmark, and it got a special part in the mind of most danes I guess, together with Faroe Islands.
Would like to go to Greenland too, Irenes father lived there for several years, but time and money..but you should follow Ayesha (remember to put on UV-filters)!
Yes Italy...and the italien people...its only their leaders who havn't been sane for decades, but it seems to be a more commen problem nowadays ...
In Venice I succeed in getting out of the most commen touristplaces, even its difficult in July and August, and we wont go there for now, but the melancolic mood is also better in spring and fall.
Regards to Ayesha and green light for Greenland for both of you:thumbup:
thorkil

Lloyd

I have an umbrella for rainy days. For dust storms..no ‘ WR ‘ is going to save your

So here are my Fuji lens picks...I don’t understand folks that talk about ‘ travel lenses ‘ as opposed to ‘ other ‘ lenses. I use the same, coz I like the results from them at home or abroad. Surprise!

Zooms...18-55.
And If pressed...
14/2.8, 90/2

By the way, I fractured my toe, and sprained my index finger yesterday when I slipped. I was carrying the XH-1 and the 16-55.
Interesting. Similar to my taste. I have had good luck with the 56 as well. And very sorry to hear about your injuries! No fun at all. I hope you're well on the mend.

rayyan

Hi there Lloyd.

Long long time, no hear. Hope you guys are doing well.
Shall send you a pm later.

So nice to hear from you.

Interesting. Similar to my taste. I have had good luck with the 56 as well. And very sorry to hear about your injuries! No fun at all. I hope you're well on the mend.

rayyan

Thanks Thorkil.

Relax. Take it slow. Recuperate. And enjoy life with the family. It’s a blessing.
I was surprised when I went to the Danish Embassy n they told me, we could go to Denmark with our current visa, but another ‘ permit ‘ required for Greenland.

And can only fly from Denmark.

I brought the forms n shall submit it if n when we finalize the trip.

Good you are not based in Venice proper! Lost its charm.
Staying a little further n taking a train is so much better n cheaper.

Take care.

Yes Rayyan, Both Irene and I are trying to recover after a year and a half with way too much work, by doing nothing at all. I promished for the last part of the vacation try not to answer working-mails.
Photoinspiration havn't grown upon me yet, unforthunatly, I guess it slowly will come back when I stop working by the end of the year, I hope.
Greenland is somehow a part of Denmark, and it got a special part in the mind of most danes I guess, together with Faroe Islands.
Would like to go to Greenland too, Irenes father lived there for several years, but time and money..but you should follow Ayesha (remember to put on UV-filters)!
Yes Italy...and the italien people...its only their leaders who havn't been sane for decades, but it seems to be a more commen problem nowadays ...
In Venice I succeed in getting out of the most commen touristplaces, even its difficult in July and August, and we wont go there for now, but the melancolic mood is also better in spring and fall.
Regards to Ayesha and green light for Greenland for both of you:thumbup:
thorkil

PedroL

Re: Don’t like Fuji’s XF lenses...

Zooms...18-55.
And If pressed...
14/2.8, 90/2

Hello All.

This is Peter Lorber, long time Hasselblad dealer and user (since 1972) and was reading this forum with great interest. Early this year I became a Fujifilm dealer, because I believe Fujifilm cameras are perfect complement to Hasselblad gear. And "rayyan", I hope your toe is healed, or close to and you can get out and use this wonderful gear.

The reason I am writing is to try to let you know, that just about every Fujifilm customer I delt with since January likes something different than other. I love 35/1,4 on my XH1, but my go to camera - "do not leave without it" - is X 100F. And I am lucky to have a Hassy always there if I need more or larger files. Few weeks ago we got back from workshop we held in Iceland and all Fujifilm camera performed amazingly, not a single glitch and images we got were superb. My artistic partner were using X T2 with couple of zooms, rain or shine all performed as a dream. We had rain storm, snow storm, even sunny moments. Nothing stopped Fujifilm gear from taking the images. Have to mention that we had a great guide, profesional photographer who selflessly showed us all places to go.
I would like to congratulate all of you for choosing Fujifilm gear and if there is any questions you might need, I would be glad to try to find correct answer.

Peter

bensonga

The XF f2 WR lenses (23, 35 and 50) are the only lenses I use on my X-Pro1 now. The relatively compact size of these lenses is a perfect fit (IMHO) for the X-Pro 1 or X-Pro 2 cameras. I've been very happy with the image quality from this camera with these lenses.

I like many of the other Fuji XF lenses also, such as the 23/1.4, 35/1.4 and 56/1.2 etc. Those larger lenses are in the camera bag with my X-T1.

Gary

These were all shot with the X-Pro1 and the XF 35/2 WR lens. I'm not one to judge if these lenses produce images that are too clinical or "technically excellent", but they work for me. I certainly don't feel like I wasted my money on the XF 35/2 WR lens.

Last edited:

bensonga

Perhaps this photo taken with the XF 35/2 WR lens would be better if I had used a different lens. One that is less "technically excellent" and has more character with a few spherical aberrations, some flare etc. I suppose I could try adding those in post processing (not likely).

Frankly, for this particular subject, the clarity etc of the XF 35/2 image works well for me. I can certainly appreciate that there are times when a lens with more "character" is desirable (I have many such lenses). Just as there are times when "technically excellent" lenses are the best choice for the desired results.

Gary