The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which zoom

rayyan

Would you take on a vacation between the 18-55 and the 16-55.

My vacations are just that. And nothing stops me from taking my time to take fotos.

The 16-55 is much heavier, is WR (? ), a constant f2.8
The 18-55 is no slouch. 2mm less on the wide side. Has IOS, and is easier to carry.

Since I have not carried the 16-55 for a day ( days on end ), I am seeking some
advice. The zoom is for when the weather report might not be conducive to lens changes in the field. ( did have the 24/28-70 when I was young ! )

I have my 2 primes with me. This time they are the 16 and the 50.

p.s if the cast comes off mid August; I leave the following week for a well earned
R&R. Most likely the Philippines n maybe throw in Hanoi, if I feel like more travel.

Just one camera this time..the xh-1 n my iPhone.

iiiNelson

Would you take on a vacation between the 18-55 and the 16-55.

My vacations are just that. And nothing stops me from taking my time to take fotos.

The 16-55 is much heavier, is WR (? ), a constant f2.8
The 18-55 is no slouch. 2mm less on the wide side. Has IOS, and is easier to carry.

Since I have not carried the 16-55 for a day ( days on end ), I am seeking some
advice. The zoom is for when the weather report might not be conducive to lens changes in the field. ( did have the 24/28-70 when I was young ! )

I have my 2 primes with me. This time they are the 16 and the 50.

p.s if the cast comes off mid August; I leave the following week for a well earned
R&R. Most likely the Philippines n maybe throw in Hanoi, if I feel like more travel.

Just one camera this time..the xh-1 n my iPhone.
I’d add another option.. the 18-135WR for a one lens travel kit.

Now between the 16-55 and the 18-55 I’d probably take the 16-55 on the XH1 and maybe lean to the 18-55 on the smaller bodies for weight balance.

rayyan

Nelson Peter, Will...

I was looking for a way out!!
You guys don't give an old man a break.

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Much appreciated.

p.s. Sacre Bleu! You want me to leave my 50mm fl behind.
No sir. Even if I have to leave my camera behind, my 50 goes with me.
Don’t leave home without it.

Last edited:

Shashin

Rayyan, in that case, why not simply the 16 and 50 primes? Do you need the focal lengths in between?

Godfrey

I agree with the other response that said the same thing: I'd not bother with the zooms and just carry whatever two/three primes I preferred. It's what has worked best for me for years and years...

Some times, I only need one: a fast normal lens. :D

G

rayyan

Will, Godfrey...

Thanks for the suggestions.
16 and 50 I like. Can carry them all day too!

Me like that guys.:thumbup:

Peter...I honestly put the 16-55, Xh-1 combo and limped around my bedroom for
A couple of hours. It is heavy. And I foresee hot, humid, rainy weather. Difficult for me.

Nelson...the 18-135, I cannot afford any lens purchases now.

Highly appreciated.