The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji XT-3

Shashin

I really wish I could afford a 200/2 but I would probably have to sell some gear in order to buy it and that's just not going to happen.

Gary
People say you cannot take it with you when you go, but given enough gear and some cement, I can alway build my mausoleum out of it...

bensonga

People say you cannot take it with you when you go, but given enough gear and some cement, I can alway build my mausoleum out of it...
I have never given a second thought to "taking it with me". My wife will certainly sell it all when I am gone.

I just enjoy using and owning the gear I can afford, while I'm here.

Gary

Shashin

I have never given a second thought to "taking it with me". My wife will certainly sell it all when I am gone.

I just enjoy using and owning the gear I can afford, while I'm here.

Gary
Gary, I know. I was just teasing...

bensonga

Taken with the X-T3 and the XF 56/1.2 wide open.

Truthfully however, this lens produces pretty good images when mounted on every Fuji I have used.

Gary

Thorkil

Hi all lucky X-T3 owners...
I've got a question. How do the rawfiles from the X-T3 handle compared to the X-T2 or X-Pro2?
I still have this feeling that Nikon rawfiles are much better and easy to proces in C1, compared to X-T2, and reaching a more satiesfying and pleasing result.
And any opinion of the new C1-Fuji edition (that I have downloaded) ?, which for me doesn't provide any significant changes for my X-T2 raw-files I think.
best thorkil

iiiNelson

I've got a question. How do the rawfiles from the X-T3 handle compared to the X-T2 or X-Pro2?
I still have this feeling that Nikon rawfiles are much better and easy to proces in C1, compared to X-T2, and reaching a more satiesfying and pleasing result.
And any opinion of the new C1-Fuji edition (that I have downloaded) ?, which for me doesn't provide any significant changes for my X-T2 raw-files I think.
best thorkil
I didn’t find Fuji files any more or less difficult to process than sony, Panasonic, Leica, or Canon files. Really it’s just comes down to knowing your camera and the tendencies of the camera. As I always say - a good white balance goes a long way to shorten the time people spend behind heir computer. Yes you can try to adjust by eye but it just so much easier to either shoot a reflective shot of a 18% gray card (then use the eye dropper tool to set balance) or just do it in camera provided you aren’t in rapidly changing lighting conditions.

Shashin

best thorkil
X-Trans files are different. I use Irident Developer with my files to create a TIFF and then process in PS. I have the new Fuji C1, but I have not used it much.

PeterA

I processed this snap I made today in C1 (which was a touch of desaturation) - and added Joe Colson's frame in PS 2019 and saved for web - C1 handles the file just fine - I am waiting for next version of C1 which will include the Fuji film simulations ( hopefully). I didn't like the way LR handled my previous XT-2 files - which is just one of the reasons I am testing C1 properly - despite it not having the DAM capabilities fo LR - which I think are great.

bab

I would of been very happy with a battery that got 400 images off one charge and forgot about the lack of ibis. Those are my biggest grips, but for $1500 the XT-3 might just be the most capable camera released in a long time. IQ is reported not really much different than other Fuji cameras. I think at ISO 1600 you get a very clean workable file that would hold up in print. At ISO 3200 your monitor would be with some clever PP showing just about similar IQ. I’m probably going to buy two of them so I don’t have to change lenses as often...plus it looks cool. My real FUJI want is the new 200mm it’s likely to rival some of the best glass out there?

iiiNelson

I would of been very happy with a battery that got 400 images off one charge and forgot about the lack of ibis. Those are my biggest grips, but for $1500 the XT-3 might just be the most capable camera released in a long time. IQ is reported not really much different than other Fuji cameras. I think at ISO 1600 you get a very clean workable file that would hold up in print. At ISO 3200 your monitor would be with some clever PP showing just about similar IQ. I’m probably going to buy two of them so I don’t have to change lenses as often...plus it looks cool. My real FUJI want is the new 200mm it’s likely to rival some of the best glass out there?
The high ISO is slightly worse on the X-T3 compared to the XT2. Part of that is due to a lower base ISO. That being said, IQ is still very good and the other improvements (to include slightly better power management that increases battery life) are worth the small hit on high ISO IQ IMO.

jdphoto

I'm seriously considering getting back into Fuji X. I've had a Nikon D810 and love the rendering... mostly. The XT3 seems impressive too and i'm not a high ISO shooter, so would prefer the lower base of the XT3. I was going through old LR catalogs and was blown away by most every Fuji XT2 image. The colors, detail etc. it was literally almost every Fuji pic that stood out. Even when zoomed in at 100% representing a 3 or 4 foot print in some images, the detail was outstanding. I do love the ISO 64 on my D810 and if used with proper technique can rival MFD. However, it's that proper technique that's key. Handheld shots with anything longer than 85mm and slower than 1/250th @ f1.4, require a monopod or better. Even EFCS turned can't remedy bad technique. I also miss one of the best lenses i've ever used on the XT2... The 56mm 1.2!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'm seriously considering getting back into Fuji X. I've had a Nikon D810 and love the rendering... mostly. The XT3 seems impressive too and i'm not a high ISO shooter, so would prefer the lower base of the XT3. I was going through old LR catalogs and was blown away by most every Fuji XT2 image. The colors, detail etc. it was literally almost every Fuji pic that stood out. Even when zoomed in at 100% representing a 3 or 4 foot print in some images, the detail was outstanding. I do love the ISO 64 on my D810 and if used with proper technique can rival MFD. However, it's that proper technique that's key. Handheld shots with anything longer than 85mm and slower than 1/250th @ f1.4, require a monopod or better. Even EFCS turned can't remedy bad technique. I also miss one of the best lenses i've ever used on the XT2... The 56mm 1.2!
I kind of also miss my X-T2 and lot of lenses I owned - especially the 1.2/56, the standard kit zoom (18-55) and the 100-400. This setup was unbeatable in terms of usability, portability, high IQ and fun to shoot. I only can imagine how the X-T3 would improve on all of these and as soon as the X-H2 comes this would be my dream setup. The X-H1 fitted my hands like a glove and if it would have the X-T3 sensor combined with the IBIS of the X-H1 would be all I want and need.

Currently I am (happily) stuck in m43 with Olympus and I thought I would add a FF mirrorless, but the current offerings did not significantly ring any bells with me. And that new rumoured EM1X Olympus high end camera seems to turn out not really being what I was hoping for. SO maybe getting back into Fuji as my main (only) system could be a great solution for me and if I really would want more resolution and even better IQ a MFD Fuji offering would close the deal for me.

bensonga

Buying an XT3 was reason enough for me to add a couple more lenses to my Fuji X system: the 50-140/2.8 and most recently the 16-55/2.8. They are very well built zooms. I only wish the 16-55/2.8 had an internal zoom design.

Nothing will replace my m43rd systems for their compactness and versatility (especially for travel), but I've never been disappointed with the image quality from my earlier generation Fujis (X100, X-E2, X-Pro1 and X-T1). From what I've seen thus far, the X-T3 certainly improves on those cameras in every way. I especially like the design of the X-T3 vertical battery grip which holds 2 batteries, in addition to the battery in the camera body itself.

Added: I resisted getting the 50-140/2.8 and 16-55/2.8 for quite awhile because of their size/weight. Speaking for myself only, I would not use these lenses on a Fuji camera body without the battery grip. Even on the X-T3 with the grip, they feel pretty big. Perhaps that's just because I am so accustomed to using the smaller and more compact Fuji prime lenses now. I might have to try a X-H2 (whenever that might come out) with these bigger zooms.

Gary

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Buying an XT3 was reason enough for me to add a couple more lenses to my Fuji X system: the 50-140/2.8 and most recently the 16-55/2.8. They are very well built zooms. I only wish the 16-55/2.8 had an internal zoom design.

Nothing will replace my m43rd systems for their compactness and versatility (especially for travel), but I've never been disappointed with the image quality from my earlier generation Fujis (X100, X-E2, X-Pro1 and X-T1). From what I've seen thus far, the X-T3 certainly improves on those cameras in every way. I especially like the design of the X-T3 vertical battery grip which holds 2 batteries, in addition to the battery in the camera body itself.

Added: I resisted getting the 50-140/2.8 and 16-55/2.8 for quite awhile because of their size/weight. Speaking for myself only, I would not use these lenses on a Fuji camera body without the battery grip. Even on the X-T3 with the grip, they feel pretty big. Perhaps that's just because I am so accustomed to using the smaller and more compact Fuji prime lenses now. I might have to try a X-H2 (whenever that might come out) with these bigger zooms.

Gary
Though larger, I feel the XH line was made for the Red Badge lenses. With the exception of the 100-400 and 200/2, I feel pretty much all of the Fuji lenses can be used comfortably without the grip on that body though it helps balance the 50-140 and 80 Macro even better.

PeterA

I bought my Xt-3 as soon as they came out because I regretted selling my Xt-2 and wanted to try out some of the video functions as well as have a lightweight "throw in the rucksack/bag and not worry about it type camera". I'll be picking up a 100-400 plus TC - at this stage I dont think I'll be spending the cash on the 200/2 as I can have the same reach via SL 90-280 and CL. My lenses for the Xt-3 are 16/1.4 23/2 and 56/1.2 and I will add either the 80 Macro or 90 soon. Fuji for me is high quality low cost ie value for money. Below is a typical snap I can make with teh 16/1.4 which is a very very good lens btw - whilst on a lazy walk around the corner from where I live. I can't fault the Fuji lenses - the newer formulations are lightining fast autofocusers - not so much the 56/1.2 which is old school stepper motor- the 23/2 is so fast and silent you dont notice the focus - same as with the 16/1.4.

The XH2 - will incorporate the goodies in XT as well as keep the IBIS +OIS advantage - but it wont be out till 2020.

Again (IMO/YMMV) - apc isnt a substitute for 35mm in all respects just like 35mm cant touch MF for ultimate IQ - Ive shot with 40-50 megapixel 35mm cameras and they can't approach the quality of a 30 megapixeld larger sensor in MF - if the MF shooter knows what they are doing - but the same can be said for any camera can't it...

Below is a RAF striaght out of camera via C1 with no adjustments except a tad of strighterning and a nice JoeCOlson frame via PS - because I like 'em. There is enough resolution there for large prints - dont worry about teh JPEG for web post triple compression going on. Colours of Fuji are awesome of course but we already know that.

and another

Thorkil

They look very good Pete.
I just couldn't afford a GFX50R together with my Z7 (perhaps a pity, but mentally there are also limits of what you are able getting to know), but the colors of the X-T3 just seems to look that much better, and less harsh, than the X-T2, that I guess I have to change the X-T2 to a T3.
Perhaps a T3 also will be more secure, and I don't have to check as often as with the T2, (where Nikon feels more like the security itself)

PeterA

They look very good Pete.
I just couldn't afford a GFX50R together with my Z7 (perhaps a pity, but mentally there are also limits of what you are able getting to know), but the colors of the X-T3 just seems to look that much better, and less harsh, than the X-T2, that I guess I have to change the X-T2 to a T3.
Perhaps a T3 also will be more secure, and I don't have to check as often as with the T2, (where Nikon feels more like the security itself)
Hi Thorkil - regarding colours from XT-3 I have changed from LR to Capture One for raw processing - definately C1 does a better job on raw than LR with fuji colours - I would try out the XT-2 on C1 before upgrading just for colour. Regarding Nikon - I really beleive that there is no such thing as a bad camera these days - the most important thing is to use whatyou like using in my book. The Fuji for me is just mucking around chuck in teh bag dont care if it gets scratched bruised dented type thing for me.Regarding the GFX you wont miss much if anything using your Nikon or Fuji to make the shots you want - if anything really - megapixels are for cropping, a bit more tonality and DR at teh margin and again more elbow room at the marginw with image IQ when printed large no real magic and for most circumstanbces smaller format is better amenity and utility. I use MF to crop to aspect ratios I liek and still have enough megapixels to print and for portrait work and some paid street style editorial work occassionaly - pretty limited functionality compared to any 35mm format system.

happy snaps
Pete

Thorkil

Hi Pete
Thank you for your answer.
I have only been using C1 all my processing-time, the only program my brain was able to cope with.
Yes the X-T2 has been my working-horse on my work on buildings, even though the Nikon Df have not been more expensive, I have taken more care not using it on work, in dirt and dust. Don't know why, and its not logic.
I have promised my son to get the X-T3, so he can borough it, while he is doing video in a way that perhaps could turn out professionally, so I have to somehow support him even though hes not taking care of the gear in the total proper way...
I'm very satisfied with the new C1 12-version, even though it on the Nikon Z7 turns out to pull the most out of the colors in a very strong and solid way, might be looking like a bit over saturated, but I will leave it by that for some time at least (I have a habit turning down the brightnes and pull up the exposure instead, which by nature turns the colours out in a more solid way).
Yes the Z7, the Df and a X-T3, then I can't wish me any more...
best Thorkil

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I bought my Xt-3 as soon as they came out because I regretted selling my Xt-2 and wanted to try out some of the video functions as well as have a lightweight "throw in the rucksack/bag and not worry about it type camera". I'll be picking up a 100-400 plus TC - at this stage I dont think I'll be spending the cash on the 200/2 as I can have the same reach via SL 90-280 and CL. My lenses for the Xt-3 are 16/1.4 23/2 and 56/1.2 and I will add either the 80 Macro or 90 soon. Fuji for me is high quality low cost ie value for money. Below is a typical snap I can make with teh 16/1.4 which is a very very good lens btw - whilst on a lazy walk around the corner from where I live. I can't fault the Fuji lenses - the newer formulations are lightining fast autofocusers - not so much the 56/1.2 which is old school stepper motor- the 23/2 is so fast and silent you dont notice the focus - same as with the 16/1.4.

The XH2 - will incorporate the goodies in XT as well as keep the IBIS +OIS advantage - but it wont be out till 2020.

Again (IMO/YMMV) - apc isnt a substitute for 35mm in all respects just like 35mm cant touch MF for ultimate IQ - Ive shot with 40-50 megapixel 35mm cameras and they can't approach the quality of a 30 megapixeld larger sensor in MF - if the MF shooter knows what they are doing - but the same can be said for any camera can't it...
I second all that - except I think we will see the X-H2 already in 2019 :thumbup:

iiiNelson

I second all that - except I think we will see the X-H2 already in 2019 :thumbup:
I believe a recent interview with Fuji states that the XH2 isn’t coming in 2019 so maybe 2020 is the year... the XPro3 will still need to be released.