Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fuji XT-3

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuji XT-3

Photos included in this post but a little preamble about where I am at!

I'm a refugee from the m43rds section of getDPI as I moved to the XT3+100-400 two weeks ago primarily for bird photography.

I had a tough time deciding whether or not to abandon mirrorless entirely. The lacklustre reports of the Z6 and Z7 versus the entirely stellar reports of the D500/D850 didn't help. I also considered the A9+100-400 but I had Sony before and frankly was not impressed with the ergonomics or lenses.

In the end, as I own the GFX50S and I wanted to remain with a mirrorless system I took the plunge with the X-T3 which has had consistently excellent reviews for both the body and the glass. It also helped that Fuji threw in a free power grip with the body and a GBP 310 cashback on the lens. I've now sold pretty much all my m43rds kit which was a bit of wrench as I have been m43rds for most of the 10 years since Panasonic launched the format.

Here are some early results:

While this example is not technically bang-on my previous camera never could handle bif in front of foliage of any kind. For once I am confident the softness is down to my panning technique and not a camera issue. (100-400)

Likewise, the responsiveness of the AF to challenging events like this is something I've been missing until now. (100-400)

I am pleasantly surprised at the colouration of the lens and especially the bokeh (100-400)

Another great AF lock on in a time critical situation. My previous camera would probably have fluffed this. (100-400)

Likewise (100-400+TC1.4)

I am pleasantly surprised that the TC1.4 does not detract much (if at all?) from the IQ. Again this was the kind of challenging situation my previous set-up would mostly fluff. This group came towards me and the AF locked-on quickly and gave me a good sequence of in focus shots. The angle was not great but I post this as another example of the 100-400 with the TC1.4

The usability of high iso photographs is also a revelation. I stopped this action at 1/2000 but as it was in shadow the iso shot up to iso3200.

I always test a new camera/lens by going to a spot in Buckinghamshire in the English countryside which is teeming with Red Kites. Actually, I made a mistake using continuous OIS which according to one internet pundit leads to softness in the images. I still managed to capture this (100-400+TC1.4)

It's not always about birds. Emerging from a forested area on my countryside excursion I thought initially this was a fox due to the colouring. But is turned out to be a Muntjac deer which are becoming quite common in the UK. Again, not a great pose but a good lock-on in a time-critical situation (100-400)

Bottom line: so far, so good. I am surprised more people are not raving about this camera. It is small, lightweight and produces excellent results combined with the 100-400. It has no black-out when using the electronic shutter (like the A9, apparently) and has a decent sized sensor (26mpx which is great for cropping). The 100-400 is a very pleasing lens. I thought I would be disappointed with the 'look' after owning the Lumix Leica DG 200/2.8 but I'd say Fuji has equalled the colouration and bokeh. I actually prefer the physical dials to the fly-by-wire of my previous system but that may actually be an age thing (it is easier for me to work analogue than electronic controls). How will I feel in six months? Who knows!

LouisB
    -----
    "My photography books", Flickr Stream
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Bottom line: so far, so good. I am surprised more people are not raving about this camera. It is small, lightweight and produces excellent results combined with the 100-400. It has no black-out when using the electronic shutter (like the A9, apparently) and has a decent sized sensor (26mpx which is great for cropping). The 100-400 is a very pleasing lens. I thought I would be disappointed with the 'look' after owning the Lumix Leica DG 200/2.8 but I'd say Fuji has equalled the colouration and bokeh. I actually prefer the physical dials to the fly-by-wire of my previous system but that may actually be an age thing (it is easier for me to work analogue than electronic controls). How will I feel in six months? Who knows!

LouisB
    Louis,

congratulations on that camera and lens. Well if you would read back in the threads about the X-T2 you could find that I was already raving about the X-T2 and especially in combination with the 100-400. So the X-T3 I only can imagine must be so much better!

Not sure why not more people are shooting Fuji especially for wildlife with that lens. It is a stellar performer and actually much better suited for my type of photography than the m43 Olympus 4/300 PRO as this is a fifed focal length lens and that's limiting for wildlife. I think I made kind of a mistake selling the 100-400 in order to fund the 4/300 PRO, but who knows I might be anyway on the switch to a new system pretty soon and one of the most likely would be Fuji.

Meanwhile have great fun with your new camera and lens and please keep posting images

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Photos included in this post but a little preamble about where I am at!

I'm a refugee from the m43rds section of getDPI as I moved to the XT3+100-400 two weeks ago primarily for bird photography.

I had a tough time deciding whether or not to abandon mirrorless entirely. The lacklustre reports of the Z6 and Z7 versus the entirely stellar reports of the D500/D850 didn't help. I also considered the A9+100-400 but I had Sony before and frankly was not impressed with the ergonomics or lenses.

In the end, as I own the GFX50S and I wanted to remain with a mirrorless system I took the plunge with the X-T3 which has had consistently excellent reviews for both the body and the glass. It also helped that Fuji threw in a free power grip with the body and a GBP 310 cashback on the lens. I've now sold pretty much all my m43rds kit which was a bit of wrench as I have been m43rds for most of the 10 years since Panasonic launched the format.

Here are some early results:

While this example is not technically bang-on my previous camera never could handle bif in front of foliage of any kind. For once I am confident the softness is down to my panning technique and not a camera issue. (100-400)

Likewise, the responsiveness of the AF to challenging events like this is something I've been missing until now. (100-400)

I am pleasantly surprised at the colouration of the lens and especially the bokeh (100-400)

Another great AF lock on in a time critical situation. My previous camera would probably have fluffed this. (100-400)

Likewise (100-400+TC1.4)

I am pleasantly surprised that the TC1.4 does not detract much (if at all?) from the IQ. Again this was the kind of challenging situation my previous set-up would mostly fluff. This group came towards me and the AF locked-on quickly and gave me a good sequence of in focus shots. The angle was not great but I post this as another example of the 100-400 with the TC1.4

The usability of high iso photographs is also a revelation. I stopped this action at 1/2000 but as it was in shadow the iso shot up to iso3200.

I always test a new camera/lens by going to a spot in Buckinghamshire in the English countryside which is teeming with Red Kites. Actually, I made a mistake using continuous OIS which according to one internet pundit leads to softness in the images. I still managed to capture this (100-400+TC1.4)

It's not always about birds. Emerging from a forested area on my countryside excursion I thought initially this was a fox due to the colouring. But is turned out to be a Muntjac deer which are becoming quite common in the UK. Again, not a great pose but a good lock-on in a time-critical situation (100-400)

LouisB
    Congrats on your new camera and I think the XT3 is getting proper praises in many circles.

It won camera of the year with many publications stateside and when I recommended it to you (back in October 2018) it was based on my own limited testing with it while tracking cars on a busy street. It's one of the tests I do with nearly every camera I pick up because it's close to a constant testing environment given that that street is always busy and at an intersection where I can test both lateral movement, movement of cars driving away, and movement of cars coming straight on and transitioning into a turn.

It’s a great camera and if I went to Fuji I’d likely hold out for the XH2 (alongside a GFX)... or get the XT3 now and use it for the Fuji primes. The 16/1.4, 16-55/2.8, 50-140/2.8, 90/2, 80/2.8 Macro, and 200/2 lenses are all excellent. The 56/1.2 and 35/1.4 are extremely good too but focus more slowly. I didn't love either of the 23mm lenses but they aren't bad.

Nice shots and I guess this sort of proves that many mirrorless cameras are capable enough to get the pictures but sometime PDAF is needed.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 1st March 2019 at 04:47.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

An indoor shot using available light with the X-T3 and 18-55 kit lens, taken inside the ancient church of St Pancras (old church) in the shadow of Kings Cross, in London, yesterday. For comparison below it is the same subject photographed with my GFX50S and 23mm/f4 a few months earlier.

X-T3, 18-55/2.8-4

GFX50S, 23/4
    -----
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Louis
    At first glance its pictures from different worlds. The GFX play, at first, in a total different leque, with exceptional 3.D view, and immense contour-shaping - helped by the soft light though.
    But then it looks you have had flash on the X-T3? while there are some strong light coming from behind above your head.
    So it might appear flatter from the flash/strong light?
    So, first of all it must be the light/soft-light/shadow-difference.
    (Because, else I would have to start saving strongly, just for a tiny GFX50R+the23mm...)...
    Best
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

@ Louis,

for me the X-T3 picture looks much better, much deeper, better color and much more drama. The GFX pictures is just like a snapshot compared to that.

Not sure what went wrong with that GFX photo, as normally it should excel ....

Just my 5c

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    @ Louis,

for me the X-T3 picture looks much better, much deeper, better color and much more drama. The GFX pictures is just like a snapshot compared to that.

Not sure what went wrong with that GFX photo, as normally it should excel ....

Just my 5c

Peter
    Well for one they're two completely different perspectives. The 23mm on the GFX is approximately equivalent to an 18mm FF 35mm lens. The widest side of the 18-55 is a 27mm equivalent. The XT3 was certainly processed with bolder color choices but I strongly prefer the look/composition/subject separation from the background in the GFX shot for the subject shown between the two.

Comparisons of the quality to either is apples to oranges IMO and the only similarity is that they're shooting the same subject. I'm sure saturation can be added in post to the GFX to make it look more like the XT3 in tone and vice versa. Can't easily replicate the look of the GFX in the XT3 though.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thorkil and Peter, thanks for the feedback.

I have to go with Thorkil. I love the rendering on the GFX50S photo which is pretty much unchanged from the RAW file. BTW, I did not use flash on either shot but the GFX50S shot was on a tripod and the X-T3 was handheld.

As Peter points out, the X-T3 has created a beautifully rendered image but unlike the GFX50S version I did have to pass it through some post processing to get what I wanted. One thing I will say is that the hi-iso noise level on the X-T3 is nothing short of amazingly well controlled and after using Nik Dfine I think the noise level for iso2500 creates a completely usable image.

Here are some crops from the photos.

X-T3, 18-55/2.8-4, iso2500, f5.6 1/30 21mm

GFX50S, 23mm/4, iso100, f16, 7secs

The differences are minor but it is clear that the GFX50S is more detailed when looked at closely.

I particularly like the way the GFX50S/23mm has handled the flowers and fabric behind them which you can appreciate in this crop. Since dispensing with my Leica kit I don't think I've owned a system which can draw light as well until now.

In a choice I would photograph with the GFX50S but I would not be at a significant disadvantage with the X-T3 and indeed it does have a fabulous sensor. As I mentioned in my post prior to these ones I bought the X-T3 for wildlife photography but it makes a great second body and in some cases I will use it when carrying the GFX50S is not practical.

LouisB
    -----

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi again, Louis is there any artificial light in the X-T3 picture?
    While its still two different worlds to me. I'm still tending to believe that the way the soft diffuse light render the shapes with a smooth sliding transition from light to shadow is the foremost reason while the shapes are such 3-dimentional pronounced at the GFX picture.
    But looking at Alan's pictures too in the MF-forum with his GFX pictures compared with his previously X-T2 ones, has gained shape in a sort of same direction, I think. Perhaps it also could be explaned by a bit different pp?
    But, I'm still in, in a "small" belief that the GFX does a sort of "modest-magical" rendering in that picture compared with the X-T3 (which I haven't used yet that much, but it seems to draw way better than the X-T2). The bottom-line to me: the GFX with the 23mm is shaping in a very, very strong way....hhmmmm..
    (I might be in fear of feeling the need of a GFX-R...but I certainly hope not, because I can't afford it)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

GFX 50S • GF23 @ f/5.6 • ISO 100 • focus stacked would be my choice.
    Oh, on tripod with electronic shutter, no delay between shots.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

But looking at Alan's pictures too in the MF-forum with his GFX pictures compared with his previously X-T2 ones, has gained shape in a sort of same direction, I think.
    Hi Thorkil, hope you don't mind me jumping in here but I am in agreement with your thoughts about the GFX. I personally think it is a format "size" thing myself, I can get more believable images with the bigger sensor (most of the time). I found it more apparent when I used 4x5" film and I have struggled with small format digital for some time.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is a difficult comparison as the X-T3 images are far more yellow. I find Fuji jpegs shifted to the warm side of things. That can make them pleasing, but it also takes the subtlety out of the images. RAWs tand to be more neutral, but I often have to play with color temperature when opening them. Also, the first image has mixed lighting, with a warm interior light adding to the image.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Hi again, Louis is there any artificial light in the X-T3 picture?
    The bottom-line to me: the GFX with the 23mm is shaping in a very, very strong way....hhmmmm..
    (I might be in fear of feeling the need of a GFX-R...but I certainly hope not, because I can't afford it)
    Only artificial light but I did increase the warmth in the X-T3 one so the comparison is not as straightforward as it could be. But like you, there is just something about the GFX/23mm photo which gives it the edge (as it should do).

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    GFX 50S • GF23 @ f/5.6 • ISO 100 • focus stacked would be my choice.
    Oh, on tripod with electronic shutter, no delay between shots.
    I've played with focus stacking - something I would never have bothered with when I was shooting MF film (obviously) - and I've come to the same conclusion that stopping down gives results which are so close in most cases as to make focus stacking unnecessary. Maybe if I was doing product shots but it is overkill for this type of still life as I believe the crops show.

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    It is a difficult comparison as the X-T3 images are far more yellow. I find Fuji jpegs shifted to the warm side of things. That can make them pleasing, but it also takes the subtlety out of the images. RAWs tand to be more neutral, but I often have to play with color temperature when opening them. Also, the first image has mixed lighting, with a warm interior light adding to the image.
    Yes, agree. As I stated above I did warm up the X-T3 version, probably a bit too much. OTOH I liked the GFX version straight out of camera that I think all I did was maybe relieve some shadow.

LouisB
    Last edited by biglouis; 9th March 2019 at 22:31.
    -----
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

😊 .. from the crops (the GFX is very impressive here, but should be so) it is obvious that the artificial light in the X-T3 is coming direct into the vertical center of the figures (see the half-circle shadow beneath the figures, which is in total symmetry), therefore the way the light falls at the figures are totally different, and where the GFX gains diffuse light from both the right side and from the left side, from windows, but stronger from the right window (the clouded sun must be to the right), so the light shapes the shapes in a more delicate, natural and strong in its way in the GFX picture, where the X-T3 light has to be shaping in a less interesting way because of direction and forceÖbut still it is, in my head, a sort of alarming obvious and in a very impressive way how the figures are stepping out from their background in an extremely welldefined and strong way by the GFX (one gets that instinctive feel that you just are able to reach out and grab them) Ė alarming in my head while its seldom one see it in this way (but the natural light has to be with you), apart from some of Alanís B&W wood pictures too. And it might have something to do with being rather close to subject too, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlanS View Post
    Hi Thorkil, hope you don't mind me jumping in here but I am in agreement with your thoughts about the GFX. I personally think it is a format "size" thing myself, I can get more believable images with the bigger sensor (most of the time). I found it more apparent when I used 4x5" film and I have struggled with small format digital for some time.
    Hi Alan, Yes perhaps it is foremost explained by format itself, and some days ago I was about leaving a comment to you about the gain in your pictures from the X-T1/2 to your GFX-pictures where the shapes have those rather more welldefined roomy appearances, and the difference is rather strong and obvious. Don't know if its "only" the format, or the GFX 23mm contributes very well to it too ..
    (the dreams become rather expensive for me now )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PS, Alan, I can't find what I thought to remember as your B&W GFX 23mm pictures, so I might be wrong in memory, perhaps you don't own it at all....

Post Thanks / Like

As a general thought on comparison between pictures - which can be very interesting and eye opening - BUT:

At least one should compare pictures taken roughly at same conditions as far as possible (light, equivalent distance, equivalent focal length, shutter speed and aperture).

Otherwise it becomes pretty useless to do such comparisons and waste too much time into arguing about the differences.

JMHO

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter..you might be right..and I might, by that sensible argument, better keep both feet on the ground..
    I do already have too much very good equipment to investigate in (for the rest of my life, I think)
    And several things are playing a mighty role in how much you are using and liking your equipment (and which will keep on being long-time-fresh), and perhaps foremost your equipment's ability to do a fluently, simple and nice handling and communication with your mind, whether your mood is good or bad, are perhaps the most underrated and important thing when dreaming of equipment - at distance and secure placed in our armchair.
    And for that last and own part, my ranking still will be 1) Z7, 2) Df/X-T3 (where the Df and X-T3 are about even, but in a very different way and mood)
    best

Post Thanks / Like

Otherwise it becomes pretty useless to do such comparisons and waste too much time into arguing about the differences.
    Unless you are posting 100% crops, you are unlikely to see any meaningful differences in small images posted on the web anyway. I could post iPhone images in the Fun with Nikon Z6 thread, and no one would know the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

As a general thought on comparison between pictures - which can be very interesting and eye opening - BUT:

At least one should compare pictures taken roughly at same conditions as far as possible (light, equivalent distance, equivalent focal length, shutter speed and aperture).

JMHO

Peter
    Yes, I agree. I think all I was trying to say with these two photos is I am pleased with both cameras. The X-T3 would not be at any disadvantage compared to the GFX, other than I prefer how the GFX images are nearly always great straight out of the camera and they do have an edge in overall look.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Unless you are posting 100% crops, you are unlikely to see any meaningful differences in small images posted on the web anyway. I could post iPhone images in the Fun with Nikon Z6 thread, and no one would know the difference.
    Also agreed. I've almost given up taking my kit to events where friends or family expect me to take photos - I just rely on my smartphone. Why bother with anything else when the photos are only going to have a brief life on social media - and in fact the quality coming out of my Huawei P9 Pro (especially in B&W mode) is incredible. If for some reason in a hundred years time someone relies on the photo for historical research then I suspect it will still be usable just not the best possible quality but again, who cares?

LouisB
    -----

Post Thanks / Like

PS, Alan, I can't find what I thought to remember as your B&W GFX 23mm pictures, so I might be wrong in memory, perhaps you don't own it at all....
    Hi Thorkil, no I don't own the 23mm lens just the 32-64. I do use a canon 16-35 f4 on an adapter which works well and draws nice. I have used my old 150mm f3.5 N Mamiya manual lens to good effect too!
    Regards, Alan.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Post Thanks / Like

Lee
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent quite a bit of time with the Nikon dealer here. Checking out the Z6 and Z7. The adapter and the available lenses. ( my Df has an autofocus problem and is going in for repair )

I went to a Fuji place that has the X-T2 but not the X-T3. I have the X-H1. But to be honest, it does not give me as much pleasure as the X-T1 or the X-Pro2.

I have decided to get the X-T3. I have all the lenses I need ( maybe a 55-200 ). I need to cut down on weight. I need to have a flip screen. I do not need High ISO. At my age I need lenses weighing less.
    I need WR. IBIS, I can do without. I need a 2 card slot. I don't need video ( but if it is there..it is there!). I have a very good travel tripod and ball head.
    I just bought a ND/GND Lee filter system.I do not need nor want 77mm thread lenses.

I want to get into landscape photography. Maximum print size is A3. I am not chasing pixels..but chasing landscapes. A X-T2 would be sufficient. But a X-T3 will last me for some time.
    That and my XPRO-2 as spare or primary is more than enough. What about the X-H1? Ayesha can have it, if she wants!!

Fuji X-T3

And also this..

No bad cameras
    koffee & kamera
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    I want to get into landscape photography. Maximum print size is A3. I am not chasing pixels..but chasing landscapes. A X-T2 would be sufficient. But a X-T3 will last me for some time.
    When I got my X Pro2, I tested it with 40" prints. I felt if I could get a good print that size, I am going to be happy. I still have the camera...

What about the X-H1? Ayesha can have it, if she wants!!
    Hey, if you are going to fight over the camera, just send it to me: I would hate to see such a lovely couple come to odds because neither wants a camera. It is a sacrifice I am willing to make for friendship...
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You are always welcome to borrow it, Will.

Best.

Hey, if you are going to fight over the camera, just send it to me: I would hate to see such a lovely couple come to odds because neither wants a camera. It is a sacrifice I am willing to make for friendship...
    koffee & kamera

Post Thanks / Like

I spent quite a bit of time with the Nikon dealer here. Checking out the Z6 and Z7. The adapter and the available lenses. ( my Df has an autofocus problem and is going in for repair )

I went to a Fuji place that has the X-T2 but not the X-T3. I have the X-H1. But to be honest, it does not give me as much pleasure as the X-T1 or the X-Pro2.

I have decided to get the X-T3. I have all the lenses I need ( maybe a 55-200 ). I need to cut down on weight. I need to have a flip screen. I do not need High ISO. At my age I need lenses weighing less.
    I need WR. IBIS, I can do without. I need a 2 card slot. I don't need video ( but if it is there..it is there!). I have a very good travel tripod and ball head.
    I just bought a ND/GND Lee filter system.I do not need nor want 77mm thread lenses.

That and my XPRO-2 as spare or primary is more than enough. What about the X-H1? Ayesha can have it, if she wants!!

Fuji X-T3

And also this..

No bad cameras
    Not a bad decision at all!

Post Thanks / Like

18mm, SOOC:

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fuji X-T3

And also this..
    No bad cameras
    Hi Rayyan
    The X-T3 has better colours than the X-T2, so not a bad choise. I will continue to have the X-T3.
    Best Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

X-T3, 18-55mm

-----
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Got a phone call from Nikon dealer...

' why don't you try the camera? Take it outside, here is another lens etc..' ' And we throw in the adapter '.

Took it out for quick clicks..tempting. ' I can't afford it ', I said.

Think some more, he told me.

Now I am uncertain!!

But Fuji would be an excuse to visit Dubai!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rayyan
    The X-T3 has better colours than the X-T2, so not a bad choise. I will continue to have the X-T3.
    Best Thorkil
    Just wondering: Did you shoot jpeg and find the colour better SOOC using film simulations? Or did you shoot RAW and find it easier to achieve better colour in post? Thanks.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

' why don't you try the camera? Take it outside, here is another lens etc..' ' And we throw in the adapter '.

Now I am uncertain!!

then its a matter of where do you go for to your Nikon dealer?
    Our problem is that we don't ever settle down, I can't advise you to buy both, even I did, and perhaps I shouldn't have done so.
    The T3 is a bit smaller than a Z but you don't get the secure feeling as the Z provide you with.
    T3 might be a bit more charming, lenses are a bit more handy to view at, but are light on the Z's.
    At the end the Z is 35% more mature, 25% more easy, 50% more secure and straight forward and simple, but 7,5% more dull.... , so.....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now I am uncertain!!

But didn't you say the X-H1 does not give you as much pleasure as the X-T2 or X Pro2? Is the Nikon closer to the X-H1 or the X-T2? I guess if this were my choice, I would ask what the Z solves the others can't? What are the benefits of two systems or are you going to replace your Fujis? If it will replace your Fuji, are the Nikon lenses as small and light?

Personally, I look at my cameras simply on what makes me happy. I have two systems, Pentax 645D and Fuji X Pro2. Are there technically better systems out there? Yes. Will those result in meaningfully better images? No. For better or worse, I am the am the main factor in whether my photography is good. The technology in my cameras aren't a limit.

Disclaimer: I really hate shopping for gear, so I am not really someone that is going to enable a camera buying habit. I take my point of view from American corporate wisdom, as Walmart says, "Save more, Live better" (although I am pretty sure that is not what they really meant ).

Post Thanks / Like

Fuji X-T3

And also this..

No bad cameras
    I really liked the Z6 and Z7 when I tried them at my local camera shop. The form factor is very nice indeed and as far as I could tell the AF - which most pundits complain about - was just fine. I was testing it with a 200-500 as a birding rig and even using the adaptor I couldn't detect lag in the AF. BUT I bought the X-T3+100-400 (and switched from Panasonic at the same time). Why? I feel the X-T3 is a mature 3rd generation product whereas the Z6/7 are first generation and that means you will be behind the curve. Now, if Nikon ever bring out a Z5 (e.g. D500 mirrorless replacement) that might be very tempting indeed.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't really buy the X-T3 as a walk-around camera but as a fallback for my other system I bought it with the 18-55. It's a pretty good lens. This is Millenium Mills, an old and now derelict flour mill on Royal Victoria Dock in East London (you will have seen it as a location in numerous BBC dramas and British made films). I noticed that the City Airport, built on a wharf on the Royal Docks lined up nicely and I waited and photographed as planes took off. The X-T3 in continuous mode, with WA af worked flawlessly.

-----
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotoism View Post
    Just wondering: Did you shoot jpeg and find the colour better SOOC using film simulations? Or did you shoot RAW and find it easier to achieve better colour in post? Thanks.
    Phil

I won't speak for Thorkil - it would be interesting to get his further details on this comment but one of the things I am seeing is that the T3 images (JPG and RAW) are no longer overly weighted towards the black end of the histogram. My X-Pro 2 photos and many I see on fora from XP2, T2 and X100F are overly contrasty with the blacks stacking up too quickly. I was often unable to get a really satisfactory XP2 image even with lots of exposure compensation or shadow increases.

If you are a subscriber to Sean Reid's excellent review site, it is worth reading his X-T3 review. One of his comments is how good the metering is in this camera. I agree - I have only had the camera for a week but in both contrasty and flat conditions, the metering is almost always spot on. Somehow it's more than just about protecting the highlights though. I do believe that Fuji are using different tone curves or something as that dense over-saturated look from XP2 seems to be no more.

The colours do also seem to be very natural. I am even thinking that the images have more of a look similar to those from the original X-Pro1, which for some people is one of the better Fuji 'looks'.

Another feature that doesn't much press is the 'sports finder' mode. This shows a frameline covering about 80% of the field of view. The benefit is that you can see beyond the crop rectangle, sort of similar to you'd get on an X-Pro, only with the T3, within the EVF. If this feature is used then the images are also cropped accordingly. It increases the effective field of view by another 1.25x. So, if I have my 18mm lens attached and switch to sports finder mode, I get pictures that are cropped as if my lens were a 23mm. This sounds like a way to get close to how the Leica Q behaves, albeit with only the one crop option for Fuji!!

This also works if you switch to 16x9 or 1:1 aspect ratio. The resulting picture dimensions are almost exactly the same as full size X-Pro 1 files.

Lee

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the Fuji issues down here, no doubt.
    Nikon is a 10 minutes drive!
    Advantage Nikon.
    Best.

p.s Ayesha went to spend a few days in Kiev last night. She took her fav camera..X-T1 with the lovely 18-55!!

then its a matter of where do you go for to your Nikon dealer?

so.....
    Last edited by rayyan; 25th March 2019 at 22:12.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Will, a very pertinent question you ask and one that I am truly grappling with.
    To be honest, maybe this was all brought about by my Df going sick!

The X-H1 does not give me as much pleasure as the X Pro2. The Nikon is closer to the Df.
    The Z does not solve any issues, that the others have. On the contrary, it is first generation.

I do not want to keep 2 systems. It just happened.
    But I continue to have the nagging feeling about Fuji X-trans and foliage. I do not worry about this with my Nikon.

But a very important consideration for me is also the tilt and swivel LCD screen. I just cannot use the X-Pro2 nor the Df low down...at least not with aching ease. The X-H1 does have it.
    And I have a tall and a traveler tripod. But I have to be near the ground sometimes.

I don't want to shop for new gear. Least coz money is in short supply.

Month of May is fasting season. I have spread out medical tests and appointments till mid April.
    Gives me time to slow down and give this more thought.

Thanks and best wishes.

But didn't you say the X-H1 does not give you as much pleasure as the X-T2 or X Pro2? Is the Nikon closer to the X-H1 or the X-T2? I guess if this were my choice, I would ask what the Z solves the others can't? What are the benefits of two systems or are you going to replace your Fujis? If it will replace your Fuji, are the Nikon lenses as small and light?

Personally, I look at my cameras simply on what makes me happy. I have two systems, Pentax 645D and Fuji X Pro2. Are there technically better systems out there? Yes. Will those result in meaningfully better images? No. For better or worse, I am the am the main factor in whether my photography is good. The technology in my cameras aren't a limit.

Disclaimer: I really hate shopping for gear, so I am not really someone that is going to enable a camera buying habit. I take my point of view from American corporate wisdom, as Walmart says, "Save more, Live better" (although I am pretty sure that is not what they really meant ).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Louis, a very important consideration that you mention. Very important.

Take care.
    I really liked the Z6 and Z7 when I tried them at my local camera shop.

BUT I bought the X-T3+100-400 (and switched from Panasonic at the same time). Why? I feel the X-T3 is a mature 3rd generation product whereas the Z6/7 are first generation and that means you will be behind the curve. Now, if Nikon ever bring out a Z5 (e.g. D500 mirrorless replacement) that might be very tempting indeed.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    koffee & kamera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Z7 compared to X-T2 and X-T3 solves my problem feeling insecure whether I'm hitting the right spot specially metering-wise, auto-iso-wise. The Z7 gives me sort of the same feeling as the D3 gave me, hitting the right spot every time, it’s very easy to handle in setting, it’s very secure, it hasn’t got all the small bookkeeper issues pointed out by some reviewers desperate looking and digging after them - not to me. To me it might instead be an issue of dull internet reviewers and their way to draw attention to otherwise dull websites. In my mind the Z7 could as well be a fourth generation, so I'm happy with my decision of no-waiting. Nikon has developed it to the level other seems to reach after four generations, but that’s just my subjective feeling. And at Dpreview it seems that they couldn't agree with one another where to place the Z7, and one editor seemed to place it as one of the absolute best cameras at all. The only issue I'm aware of, for my part, is the AF in rather low light, but again, single point on, and just finding some contrastlines, and it’s not a problem (and perhaps things will change together with the soon upcoming firmware update with face/eye-detection). And having the most stable card in the world, I don’t bother with one card. I'm not a pro, I do no weddings though, where the psycological way of feeling secure, might be important, while upper class-people always can afford good lawyers, I guess .
    Still the X-T2/3 is a bit more charming in size and appearance, where the Z might feel a tiny bit more proff.-tool-dull-like, but still in a handy and friendly way, if you stay with f1.8 primes and f4 zooms, so...(and if you still got a lot of FX-lenses, once in a while you will be happy putting them on, even when the adapter add to size)
    The specific amount of better handling of contrast and colours at the X-T3 compared with the X-T2 is subjective, but still a strong feeling to me, but I became uncertain of the level in raw compared with jpg's, so I would like to test it out one day.
    (PS. but I have handled the Z7 more than the X-T3, so I should better give the X-T3 some more experience..and still it is a keeper to me, both)
    Last edited by Thorkil; 26th March 2019 at 00:36.

Post Thanks / Like

Z7 compared to X-T2 and X-T3 solves my problem feeling insecure whether I'm hitting the right spot specially metering-wise, auto-iso-wise. The Z7 gives me sort of the same feeling as the D3 gave me, hitting the right spot every time, itís very easy to handle in setting, itís very secure, it hasnít got all the small bookkeeper issues pointed out by some reviewers desperate looking and digging after them - not to me. To me it might instead be an issue of dull internet reviewers and their way to draw attention to otherwise dull websites. In my mind the Z7 could as well be a fourth generation, so I'm happy with my decision of no-waiting. Nikon has developed it to the level other seems to reach after four generations, but thatís just my subjective feeling. And at Dpreview it seems that they couldn't agree with one another where to place the Z7, and one editor seemed to place it as one of the absolute best cameras at all. The only issue I'm aware of, for my part, is the AF in rather low light, but again, single point on, and just finding some contrastlines, and itís not a problem (and perhaps things will change together with the soon upcoming firmware update with face/eye-detection). And having the most stable card in the world, I donít bother with one card. I'm not a pro, I do no weddings though, where the psycological way of feeling secure, might be important, while upper class-people always can afford good lawyers, I guess .
    Still the X-T2/3 is a bit more charming in size and appearance, where the Z might feel a tiny bit more proff.-tool-dull-like, but still in a handy and friendly way, if you stay with f1.8 primes and f4 zooms, so...(and if you still got a lot of FX-lenses, once in a while you will be happy putting them on, even when the adapter add to size)
    The specific amount of better handling of contrast and colours at the X-T3 compared with the X-T2 is subjective, but still a strong feeling to me, but I became uncertain of the level in raw compared with jpg's, so I would like to test it out one day.
    (PS. but I have handled the Z7 more than the X-T3, so I should better give the X-T3 some more experience..and still it is a keeper to me, both)
    The Z7 feels very nicely in hand, actually miles above the X-T3, as it has a real grip, which the X-T3 still lacks. Having said that the IQ of stills and also 4k video are miles above in the X-T3 compared to the Z7. Maybe AF in the Z7 will come close after the FW update, but who knows.

I am in a bit of dilemma, as I am still fully in m43 with the EM1.2 and this camera still amazes me. I cannot get friends with the concept of the EM1X, although it for sure has the best AF of all (also Fuji and Nikon), but is far too big for my taste and has far to inferior EVF.

So I might add a X-T3 for now to my m43 gear or otherwise sell all and get fully back into Nikon with the Z7. Not sure yet -----

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Z7 feels very nicely in hand, actually miles above the X-T3, as it has a real grip, which the X-T3 still lacks. Having said that the IQ of stills and also 4k video are miles above in the X-T3 compared to the Z7. Maybe AF in the Z7 will come close after the FW update, but who knows.

I am in a bit of dilemma, as I am still fully in m43 with the EM1.2 and this camera still amazes me. I cannot get friends with the concept of the EM1X, although it for sure has the best AF of all (also Fuji and Nikon), but is far too big for my taste and has far to inferior EVF.

So I might add a X-T3 for now to my m43 gear or otherwise sell all and get fully back into Nikon with the Z7. Not sure yet -----
    hhhmmmm..Peter , my intuation tells me its the other way round, but I guess its only an intuation, while I havn't compared them head to head, even though it only will be nearest possible, by same object, perhaps the 18-55 against the 24-70S, same setting, but then again C1 haven't supported the 24-70S(as neither the 35/1.8S nor 50/1.8S) yet in raw, so it would not be fair until later when they do, but the challenge would be tempting interesting to do, for me too..

Post Thanks / Like

Goldcrest, stretching - X-T3, 100-400

-----
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I continue to be delighted with the output of the X-T3. Although the speed of the AF is not much different to my G9 once locked on the AF is far better. And the higher iso output is usable. These were taken under not very good conditions and mostly the camera was choosing iso3200 as I shot in shutter priority mode with auto-iso set.

-----
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Close encounter with great spotted woodpecker - XT3+100-400 (last one with the TC1.4x)

-----
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

These are looking great, Louis.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Guys

if you don't have the 35 f1.4 lens be sure to look on line at images.

its one of the oldest lens that Fuji made for the system but the rendering is amazing

its a "must have" for the system

Post Thanks / Like

Sparrowhawks, mating: iso2000 400mm f5.6 1/640 - The Fuji X-T3 continues to deliver results which I could not achieve before. This was obviously a split second opportunity, in a shaded wood but the AF locked on instantly and even though the autoiso kicked up into high gear the noise was very controllable in post. I also suspect the OIS on the lens kept the shot sharp.

-----
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I continue to plough a lonely furrow in this thread without anyone else contributing but I am grateful for people who look, like, thank and comment. I had hoped other Fuji X-T3 owners might throw in their photos and experiences.

Today I took delivery of the XF 10-20/4 and the XF 55-200 zooms. Both are for architectural work. I had reasonable expectations of what they would provide me with. I doubt I will ever use them at anything other than f5.6-f8. The 10mm wide end (15mm equiv in 35mm terms) will probably be rarely used. I suspect I will use the 14-20 more and in fact it may even make my 18-55mm redundant. I can see I am more likely to carry the 10-20 and 55-200 as I rarely use more than 28mm for architecture and I then need telephoto range, e.g. 100-200 for zooming in on architectural features. In any case all three lens and the camera body and the battery grip are so light I'll probably take all three with me unless I am severely limited in some way.

Here are some samples.

55-200: I am very impressed with the IQ of this lens. At f8 it is very sharp at 200mm and at the same time if I come back to f7.1 I get beautiful bokeh. I don't think I've owned a zoom other than the Fuji XF 100-400 which is actually this good at the long end. Normally, mid-price consumer zooms like this get weaker at the long end in my experience.

'My Cat' f8 200mm iso160 1/250

100% crop showing how sharp the lens is:

'Alium Bud' f7.1 200mm iso160 1/320

10-20: I'm less impressed with the IQ of this lens. Wide open I think it lacks character. The actual drama is in the field of view and not in the rendering of the image. Even stopped down it seems a tad soft compared to the 55-200 and I can definitely see diffraction softening the image further at f11 and above. This is no problem for me as I rarely shoot above f8 for most architecture/buildings. Wide open I had to do quite a bit of post processing to increase contrast and general 'oomph' of the image (unlike the 55-200 which required almost no pp).

'Elephant House' f8 10mm iso160 1/125

I find that closing the fov down to 14mm (21mm equivalent) the lens character seems to change and also it sharpens up substantially (presumably because you are reducing the area of the glass to the central and sharpest part of the lens).

'My cat, again' f8 15mm iso160 1/125

You can see at 100% that the lens is very sharp in the centre.

Of course, the IQ with an UWA while important is not as important as the ability to be very creative with the wide angle and depth of field and that can forgive a multitude of sins in a lens like this.
    'My cats, the neighbours cat and a London red bus' f13 13.8mm iso800 1/250

Anyway, I hope this has be informative and enjoyable to look at.

LouisB
    -----
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I continue to plough a lonely furrow in this thread without anyone else contributing but I am grateful for people who look, like, thank and comment. I had hoped other Fuji X-T3 owners might throw in their photos and experiences.
    Louis, as an X Pro2 owner, I understand...