The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji XT-3

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I believe a recent interview with Fuji states that the XH2 isn’t coming in 2019 so maybe 2020 is the year... the XPro3 will still need to be released.
This is really unfortunate :-(

By then I will have gone FF for my second system - maybe with the Z7.2 or the S1R :thumbs:

PeterA

This is really unfortunate :-(

By then I will have gone FF for my second system - maybe with the Z7.2 or the S1R :thumbs:
Here is an idea for you Pete - Skip the 35mm and get a Fuji GFX as the big brother to your Olympus system - the only advanatge that 35mm has over 4/3 or apc is a bit more pop factor with fast lenses- and if you want that - go for MF look...:lecture:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Here is an idea for you Pete - Skip the 35mm and get a Fuji GFX as the big brother to your Olympus system - the only advanatge that 35mm has over 4/3 or apc is a bit more pop factor with fast lenses- and if you want that - go for MF look...:lecture:
I must admit I had similar thoughts already, but then I have promised to myself some 10 years ago never to go back into MFD again.

But actually with the new MF offerings from Fuji I get often tempted to enter that area of photography again and with the current and future Fuji offerings it becomes a completely new game in terms of cost, price, speed, etc. So I think I have to reconsider.

I could continue using Olympus m43 for the fast and action part and Fuji MFD for the kind of art side of photography. But then wouldn't it be better to go completely Fuji - with the X and the GFX system. The X system especially with the X-T3 and upcoming X-H2 has come such a long way in terms of speed and IQ and owning both from one vendor would make using/switching systems much easier. I feel I am getting older and do not like to always start with new operation of cameras again and again - so this would at least solve that problem. Could also get completely one system with FF and maybe even enter enemy land with Sony - especially when considering what they soon will offer in terms of sensors and resolution upgrades. But on the other side a top high end Sony FF camera in combination with high level Sony glass will not be much cheaper than Fuji MFD :facesmack:

I am very tempted by the X-T3, especially after looking at a lot of my photos from the X-T2 now in C1Pro12 with all that wonderful film simulations - dare I say they are even better to my eyes than the LR film simulations :thumbs:

PeterA

I must admit I had similar thoughts already, but then I have promised to myself some 10 years ago never to go back into MFD again.

But actually with the new MF offerings from Fuji I get often tempted to enter that area of photography again and with the current and future Fuji offerings it becomes a completely new game in terms of cost, price, speed, etc. So I think I have to reconsider.

I could continue using Olympus m43 for the fast and action part and Fuji MFD for the kind of art side of photography. But then wouldn't it be better to go completely Fuji - with the X and the GFX system. The X system especially with the X-T3 and upcoming X-H2 has come such a long way in terms of speed and IQ and owning both from one vendor would make using/switching systems much easier. I feel I am getting older and do not like to always start with new operation of cameras again and again - so this would at least solve that problem. Could also get completely one system with FF and maybe even enter enemy land with Sony - especially when considering what they soon will offer in terms of sensors and resolution upgrades. But on the other side a top high end Sony FF camera in combination with high level Sony glass will not be much cheaper than Fuji MFD :facesmack:

I am very tempted by the X-T3, especially after looking at a lot of my photos from the X-T2 now in C1Pro12 with all that wonderful film simulations - dare I say they are even better to my eyes than the LR film simulations :thumbs:
All the manufacturers make excellent products - that is why they are in business...it is up to the individual to make sure they know what they are buying and why...I would wait till the Fuji 100MP category killer comes out next year before deciding anything - that camera will be like the original Canon IDs - game changer - haven't been so excited about a camera for 2 decades.:grin:

iiiNelson

I tend to agree that for most people that aren’t entrenched into any system (without specific needs) it’s best to wait it out and see what happens/comes in the first half of next year. I need to rush unless you need a camera system right now - and in those cases I’d look to Sony, Fuji, orMicro 4/3 if the intentions are Mirrorless... but then I’ve said that for most of this year as well.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am in waiting mode anyway, especially as I want to see the Panasonic S1R first in production and hopefully also the Sony A7R4 with 60MP and the A9II with 35MP sensors respectively. And of course also the Olympus EM1X ....

Should get really interesting!

PeterA

I tend to agree that for most people that aren’t entrenched into any system (without specific needs) it’s best to wait it out and see what happens/comes in the first half of next year. I need to rush unless you need a camera system right now - and in those cases I’d look to Sony, Fuji, orMicro 4/3 if the intentions are Mirrorless... but then I’ve said that for most of this year as well.
I bought a Leica CL so I could use it as a TC for my 90-280SL lens - Leica dont make a TC for it...below is a snap for demonstration purposes 50% crop of an apc camera shot made with subject over 100meters away....what I have 'discovered' is that my leica M and SL lenses all work magnicently on this really tiny really small camera - I've effectively added 50% reach to all my M and SL lenses - and for this type of shot - really no great loss of IQ....

Why am I posting this? in order to illustrate how clever Leica have been in maintaining cross platform functionality of both M and L mounts in their newer camera offerings - the SL and now the CL....I dont think anyone else can offer this sort of amenity or utility - I maintain all aurofocus capability in l mount btw and lose nothing in M lenses because chips on SL and CL cater for short lens to chip space via Leicas tilted at edges glass covers for pixels...amazing service for existing lens owners and cross platform functionality...

Moral of the story is stick with your lens investment unless compelling reason to change.

and this one is with same set up and an even bigger crop I posted on CL thread...

be careful getting out of a lens ecosystem - expensive and you never know what the manufacturer may end up delivering in new bodies down the track...

I've effectively added 50% reach to all my M and SL lenses - and for this type of shot - really no great loss of IQ....
You wouldn't expect any IQ loss. You are only using the center of the image circle. Same with any FF lens on an APS-C sensor.

PeterA

You wouldn't expect any IQ loss. You are only using the center of the image circle. Same with any FF lens on an APS-C sensor.
I cant use my M lenses on my Fuji XT-3 with same results - smearing is very apparent esepcially with wides from 28 and wider, like the WATE ...people have tried to fix this issue with after market thinner glass coverings - still doesn't work as well as native ...

I cant use my M lenses on my Fuji XT-3 with same results - smearing is very apparent esepcially with wides from 28 and wider, like the WATE ...people have tried to fix this issue with after market thinner glass coverings - still doesn't work as well as native ...
I was referring to using M and SL lenses on your CL, as I thought you were. Everyone knows that, due to their design, wide and ultra-wide angle Leica M lenses on non-Leica sensors is an issue. Not sure why you would want to use a WATE on CL anyway. A big, heavy 24-27-30 equivalent "zoom" on a small, lightweight body isn't very useful. I mean it works, but the Leica Elmarit-TL 18 mm f/2.8 ASPH seems like the right lens for the job. Still, if you've got $5.5K sunk in a lens I can see how you would want to use it.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I am in waiting mode anyway, especially as I want to see the Panasonic S1R first in production and hopefully also the Sony A7R4 with 60MP and the A9II with 35MP sensors respectively. And of course also the Olympus EM1X ....

The big question is IF those rumored sensors are even for the FE series. I’m not so sure the newer 36 megapixel (or the 60 megapixel one for that matter) sensor isn’t for a video camera or other applications. The current Venice cinema camera is a 24 something megapixel 6k sensor and I wouldn’t be surprised if more variants come that allow 8K before it winds up into a prosumer/professional hybrid model. I don’t think the next high megapixel sensor will be for the A7RIV... The A7RIII was just released a year ago and there was 30 months between models (for reference Fuji released the XPro 2, XT2, XT20, XE3, XH1, and a host of lower end models in that time period) for that body. There was nearly over 3 years between A7 models. I think it’s more likely higher-end A9 variants will come (to include S and R models) next if the intention is to use those sensors in a FE body along with what would essentially be a cropped version of the A9 in an “A6.”

jdphoto

There is always something new coming and that's the problem with digital camera companies who are basically just marketing obsolescence. Why is the grass always greener for those who shoot digital? How maddening it must be to get the latest and greatest only to be overshadowed by the next shiny thing and the next and the next and the next...

There is always something new coming and that's the problem with digital camera companies who are basically just marketing obsolescence.
Just what exactly is the "problem" with improved technology? You don't have to buy into unless you want to. Stick with what you have if you are satisfied.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
There is always something new coming and that's the problem with digital camera companies who are basically just marketing obsolescence. Why is the grass always greener for those who shoot digital? How maddening it must be to get the latest and greatest only to be overshadowed by the next shiny thing and the next and the next and the next...
The one thing I want in addition to my m43 gear is something bigger in sensor size. Used to the blazing fast AF of my Olympus EM1.2 I know I will not be happy with whatever Nikon AND Canon brought in their first mirrorless incarnations and these were the contenders I had much hope for. Nor are they anything close to what one can get from the Sony A9 WRT Eye AF etc. Maybe you don't want or need this but I am at the current state of implementation still looking for AF improvement - especially for portrait shooting. The XT3 seems to be able to fulfil these requirements and also the lens choice would just be right.

Fuji X and Fuji GFX are very tempting and as I already mentioned several times I know Fuji from many cameras I used and I was happy with - last one the X-T2.

The issue with digital cameras and vendors behind is rather that most of them are just coming to a really useable level currently and this is especially true for Fuji. And what is really GREENER on the other side of the fence is literally true when considering Fuji film simulations which I always liked and still like. No Olympus, Nikon, Sony or Canon can this ever substitute with whatever colour presets or what else. And Nikon and Canon have still a long way to go to come close to Olympus, Fuji and Sony WRT their overall mirrorless offerings - Maybe in 3 - 4 years there will be equality.

So what to do in the meantime? Buy a EM1.X would be the obvious direction. But then I do NOT NEED even faster frame rates for stills and video, but rather the differences and advantages of a larger sensor. And then the rumoured size of this camera will be so huge that this completely renders all what m43 systems stand for ridiculous - at least for me. I am thanks god no pure sports shooter, I need fast and accurate and reliable AF paired with excellent IQ and that I already can get to maybe 95% from my EM1.2. So why upgrade for just that 5%?

iiiNelson

The one thing I want in addition to my m43 gear is something bigger in sensor size. Used to the blazing fast AF of my Olympus EM1.2 I know I will not be happy with whatever Nikon AND Canon brought in their first mirrorless incarnations and these were the contenders I had much hope for. Nor are they anything close to what one can get from the Sony A9 WRT Eye AF etc. Maybe you don't want or need this but I am at the current state of implementation still looking for AF improvement - especially for portrait shooting. The XT3 seems to be able to fulfil these requirements and also the lens choice would just be right.

Fuji X and Fuji GFX are very tempting and as I already mentioned several times I know Fuji from many cameras I used and I was happy with - last one the X-T2.

The issue with digital cameras and vendors behind is rather that most of them are just coming to a really useable level currently and this is especially true for Fuji. And what is really GREENER on the other side of the fence is literally true when considering Fuji film simulations which I always liked and still like. No Olympus, Nikon, Sony or Canon can this ever substitute with whatever colour presets or what else. And Nikon and Canon have still a long way to go to come close to Olympus, Fuji and Sony WRT their overall mirrorless offerings - Maybe in 3 - 4 years there will be equality.

So what to do in the meantime? Buy a EM1.X would be the obvious direction. But then I do NOT NEED even faster frame rates for stills and video, but rather the differences and advantages of a larger sensor. And then the rumoured size of this camera will be so huge that this completely renders all what m43 systems stand for ridiculous - at least for me. I am thanks god no pure sports shooter, I need fast and accurate and reliable AF paired with excellent IQ and that I already can get to maybe 95% from my EM1.2. So why upgrade for just that 5%?
I think the short answer is that as the cameras are released it will do you well to actually rent them for a week or so when you have time to go out and shoot/test them. My personal opinion today is that when it comes to pure technical capability (for Mirrorless AF) Sony is best overall today - but at a cost. It’s important to note that all brands are capable though and if speed isn’t a huge factor then any of them will likely work for you. Of sensor size is important then I agree with Peter (and you and I had the same discuss earlier this year when I was strongly considering a move to Fuji) and suggest looking more closely at the GFX lines - especially now that they’re supported in C1Pro. You could keep your Olympus (I think their telephoto lineup is superior to Fuji today as it applies to variety) and just use the GFX aaa needed. The reality is that even the 50S isn’t very large as it’s about the size of a 5D/D850 give or take. If you don’t need the speed this may very well be the “best”option for you.

Knorp

Just what exactly is the "problem" with improved technology? You don't have to buy into unless you want to. Stick with what you have if you are satisfied.

Gents, it's called: G.A.S.
The urge to buy a new camera is overwhelming you, but you don't know what to get as all those bloody manufacturers have such tempting offerings. How could you possibly choose ? In the end it drives you barking mad ... :loco:
However, as a famous Dutch football player used to say: every drawback has its advantage (elk nadeel heeft z'n voordeel) or similar words.
Meaning here, you keep your money in your pocket !
Now, how cool is that ?

:rolleyes: :grin: :sleep:

iiiNelson

Gents, it's called: G.A.S.
The urge to buy a new camera is overwhelming you, but you don't know what to get as all those bloody manufacturers have such tempting offerings. How could you possibly choose ? In the end it drives you barking mad ... :loco:
However, as a famous Dutch football player used to say: every drawback has its advantage (elk nadeel heeft z'n voordeel) or similar words.
Meaning here, you keep your money in your pocket !
Now, how cool is that ?

:rolleyes: :grin: :sleep:
I also find that GAS generally has you less committed to any one brand and more dedicated to obtaining tools that improve your personal workflow to complete certain tasks. Sometimes it’s not about features, marketing, etc. Sometimes it’s literally an efficiency move. If a camera can automate what I’d already do on my own with a certain level of reliability - I don’t fully see the issue. You’re still responsible for composition, lighting, etc.

*Before someone says certain levels of automation are not true to photography or make a statement about connection with a camera then I will argue that we should all shoot manual cameras/lens combos without any aids to include Rangefinder patches, focus peaking, zone focusing marks, TTL metering, TTL focusing, etc.

I enjoy my Sony’s but I own 2 generation one bodies and a generation 2 body. I haven’t gone to any of the newer ones but acknowledge they’re far more capable/advanced but I can still make the shot happen with old tech that isn’t supposed to work any longer. I also live my G1 and my film cameras that I still shoot whenever I can.

PeterA

I was referring to using M and SL lenses on your CL, as I thought you were. Everyone knows that, due to their design, wide and ultra-wide angle Leica M lenses on non-Leica sensors is an issue. Not sure why you would want to use a WATE on CL anyway. A big, heavy 24-27-30 equivalent "zoom" on a small, lightweight body isn't very useful. I mean it works, but the Leica Elmarit-TL 18 mm f/2.8 ASPH seems like the right lens for the job. Still, if you've got $5.5K sunk in a lens I can see how you would want to use it.
eh?

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

jdphoto

Peter, my comment wasn't directed at you personally, so my apologies if came across that way. I'm just frustrated with the industry as a whole. Computational photography is replacing traditional photography with little thought to the process or fundamentals and for the most part, talent.

Last edited: