The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji XT-3

PeterA

No I got that, but why? What causes that? :facesmack:
oh ok

Candid shot - I'm walking one way - the subject is walking another way, I'm holding my camera down by the side of my leg and guessing when to click without even looking at the subject - typical street hip shot rubbish - relying on zone focus - but I had the wrong aperture dialed in for distance...

k-hawinkler

oh ok

Candid shot - I'm walking one way - the subject is walking another way, I'm holding my camera down by the side of my leg and guessing when to click without even looking at the subject - typical street hip shot rubbish - relying on zone focus - but I had the wrong aperture dialed in for distance...
Many thanks Peter. Okay.
I just wondered whether it was malfunction of the camera or something else.
Now I know it was something else, like not pointing at the intended subject. :LOL:
Thanks again.

MCTuomey

There is always something new coming and that's the problem with digital camera companies who are basically just marketing obsolescence. Why is the grass always greener for those who shoot digital? How maddening it must be to get the latest and greatest only to be overshadowed by the next shiny thing and the next and the next and the next...
I don't understand your generalization regarding "the grass always greener for those who shoot digital." Might be true if you decide to believe the marketing, or you succumb often to gear lust, but that has nothing to do with making pictures.

The utility of digital equipment, properly maintained, will remain consistent over time, which means you can take the same fine pictures for its entire service life. No obsolescence there. Technology advances, sure, but that doesn't mean what you already own no longer functions. Unless you repeatedly are compelled to buy new gear and then re-sell it after a short trial at a loss, which is sort of a self-imposed devaluation, I see no source of frustration in digital gear acquisition and use.

MCTuomey

There is always something new coming and that's the problem with digital camera companies who are basically just marketing obsolescence. Why is the grass always greener for those who shoot digital? How maddening it must be to get the latest and greatest only to be overshadowed by the next shiny thing and the next and the next and the next...
I don't understand your generalization regarding "the grass always greener for those who shoot digital." Might be true if you decide to believe the marketing, or you succumb often to gear lust, but that has nothing to do with making pictures.

The utility of digital equipment, properly maintained, will remain consistent over time, which means you can take the same fine pictures for its entire service life. No obsolescence there. Technology advances, sure, but that doesn't mean what you already own no longer functions. Unless you repeatedly are compelled to buy new gear and then re-sell it after a short trial at a loss, which is sort of a self-imposed devaluation, I see no source of frustration in digital gear acquisition and use.

PeterA

The structure of forums sometimes creates too much emphasis on 'the latest and greatest' - for example - if you are making happy snaps and are posting - where do you post - looking at the Fuji forum it seems that postings are being dissected by 'versions' of basically the same system/camera. I'm mainly interested in sharing photos with like minded people - but I use a fujiXT3 not an XPro2 or Xt2 - so where do I post without breaking forum structure or rules - same with GFX - I use a GFX and I am interested in people who use their GFX to make photos as well as people and their posts in general MF - so where is correct place to post?

A lot of people have strong views on 'gear' - but mostly these strong views are expressed in 'words'. I like to make a habit of supporting what I have to say if I have anythign to add to a discussion about gear - with photographs - otherwise it is just 'words'.

I wish there was a forum for cross platform posting of photographs and any discussion could be based on the actual photography and secondly what gear aspect made it possible to happen and wether the gear was necessary of could be substituted by pretty much any other make / model/ and appropriate lens/set up. That woudl remove a lot of 'noise' and this is better than that type discussion.

I dont think there is a lot of real world difference between various chips sizes - let alone camera makes these days - but people like to post in silos for soem reason or another.

MCTuomey

Yes, Peter. Agree. It seems gear discussions have just two camps. One is interested in what a camera or lens can do, the other in what it can’t do. The latter may be more numerous, or at least more vocal. The former tends to lead to better pictures.

pegelli

I wish there was a forum for cross platform posting of photographs and any discussion could be based on the actual photography and secondly what gear aspect made it possible to happen and wether the gear was necessary of could be substituted by pretty much any other make / model/ and appropriate lens/set up. That woudl remove a lot of 'noise' and this is better than that type discussion.
This comes up quite a lot, but such a place exists here even though not a lot of people use it : https://www.getdpi.com/forum/artful-images-to-share-including-nsfw/

Maybe the term "Artful" pushes people away, and the thread title "Picture a Week" seems strict but is not enforced at all. It would even be possible for any member to start a thread called "Gear agnostic photo's to share and discuss". I would certainly join there, as I do in the other general gear agnostic threads in that forum section. However the group who goes there frequently is still small and almost below critical mass.

PeterA

This comes up quite a lot, but such a place exists here even though not a lot of people use it : https://www.getdpi.com/forum/artful-images-to-share-including-nsfw/

Maybe the term "Artful" pushes people away, and the thread title "Picture a Week" seems strict but is not enforced at all. It would even be possible for any member to start a thread called "Gear agnostic photo's to share and discuss". I would certainly join there, as I do in the other general gear agnostic threads in that forum section. However the group who goes there frequently is still small and almost below critical mass.
Thanls for the link Peter - yes I dont understand 'artful' - but I will start posting there atr least once a week :thumbup:

Pete

pegelli

yes I dont understand 'artful' - but I will start posting there atr least once a week :thumbup:
Great, the more the merrier :thumbs:

I don't understand "artful" either and even suggested some time ago to remove that from the title but so far it remained in place.

However, just like beauty, "Art" is in the eye of the beholder, so I have no problem to deem all my pictures "Artful" and eligible to be posted there, but the same would be true for 99%+ of the images posted on GetDPI by all members :lecture:

bensonga

The XF 100-400 lens was on my wish list, but at $1900, it never rose to the top.

Now that I have a XT3 and several of Fuji's highest rated zoom lenses, when Fuji offered a $500 rebate on the 100-400 lens I figured this was the right time to get it.

I was a concerned re how smooth the zooming from 100-400 might feel (I really prefer internal zoom design telephoto lenses), but it is much smoother than I had expected. So far so good.

Gary

Shashin

Gary,

:worthless:

One reason for my shift to Fuji was the 100-400mm lens. (I was also interested in the planned 200mm f/2, but somehow the $1,000 discount still does not move me. ;) ) Looking forward to seeing some work.

bensonga

Gary,

:worthless:

One reason for my shift to Fuji was the 100-400mm lens. (I was also interested in the planned 200mm f/2, but somehow the $1,000 discount still does not move me. ;) ) Looking forward to seeing some work.
Challenge accepted Will...I’ll see what I can come up with in the next few weeks.

I would love to have the XF 200mm f2 also, but even with the $1,000 rebate it is too much for my budget.

Can’t recall if I have seen any pics here on GetDPI taken with that lens.

Gary

PeterA

I was going to buy the 200/2 to go with Xt-3 - and sell my 90-280SL until I realised that If I put the 90-280 on the Leica CL - I got the same focal length as the 200/2 + 1.4TC - which would allow me to keep the Leica lens and see how it goes on a 50 megapixel sensor in SL2 when it comes out - which I think would be just as good as the excellent Fuji GFX 250+TC.

Complicated utility equation here. I still have the itchy/scratchy for the Fuji 200/2 though....faster apertures/faster autofocus - but no slip in filter holder which is surprising for a lens of this type with such a massive front glass area.