The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji XT-3

AlanS

PS, Alan, I can't find what I thought to remember as your B&W GFX 23mm pictures, so I might be wrong in memory, perhaps you don't own it at all....
Hi Thorkil, no I don't own the 23mm lens just the 32-64. I do use a canon 16-35 f4 on an adapter which works well and draws nice. I have used my old 150mm f3.5 N Mamiya manual lens to good effect too!

rayyan

I spent quite a bit of time with the Nikon dealer here. Checking out the Z6 and Z7. The adapter and the available lenses. ( my Df has an autofocus problem and is going in for repair )

I went to a Fuji place that has the X-T2 but not the X-T3. I have the X-H1. But to be honest, it does not give me as much pleasure as the X-T1 or the X-Pro2.

I have decided to get the X-T3. I have all the lenses I need ( maybe a 55-200 ). I need to cut down on weight. I need to have a flip screen. I do not need High ISO. At my age I need lenses weighing less.
I need WR. IBIS, I can do without. I need a 2 card slot. I don't need video ( but if it is there..it is there!). I have a very good travel tripod and ball head.
I just bought a ND/GND Lee filter system.I do not need nor want 77mm thread lenses.

I want to get into landscape photography. Maximum print size is A3. I am not chasing pixels..but chasing landscapes. A X-T2 would be sufficient. But a X-T3 will last me for some time.
That and my XPRO-2 as spare or primary is more than enough. What about the X-H1? Ayesha can have it, if she wants!!

Fuji X-T3

And also this..

No bad cameras

Shashin

I want to get into landscape photography. Maximum print size is A3. I am not chasing pixels..but chasing landscapes. A X-T2 would be sufficient. But a X-T3 will last me for some time.
When I got my X Pro2, I tested it with 40" prints. I felt if I could get a good print that size, I am going to be happy. I still have the camera...

What about the X-H1? Ayesha can have it, if she wants!!
Hey, if you are going to fight over the camera, just send it to me: I would hate to see such a lovely couple come to odds because neither wants a camera. It is a sacrifice I am willing to make for friendship...:angel::toocool:

rayyan

You are always welcome to borrow it, Will.

Best.

Hey, if you are going to fight over the camera, just send it to me: I would hate to see such a lovely couple come to odds because neither wants a camera. It is a sacrifice I am willing to make for friendship...:angel::toocool:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I spent quite a bit of time with the Nikon dealer here. Checking out the Z6 and Z7. The adapter and the available lenses. ( my Df has an autofocus problem and is going in for repair )

I went to a Fuji place that has the X-T2 but not the X-T3. I have the X-H1. But to be honest, it does not give me as much pleasure as the X-T1 or the X-Pro2.

I have decided to get the X-T3. I have all the lenses I need ( maybe a 55-200 ). I need to cut down on weight. I need to have a flip screen. I do not need High ISO. At my age I need lenses weighing less.
I need WR. IBIS, I can do without. I need a 2 card slot. I don't need video ( but if it is there..it is there!). I have a very good travel tripod and ball head.
I just bought a ND/GND Lee filter system.I do not need nor want 77mm thread lenses.

That and my XPRO-2 as spare or primary is more than enough. What about the X-H1? Ayesha can have it, if she wants!!

Fuji X-T3

And also this..

No bad cameras
Not a bad decision at all!

Thorkil

Fuji X-T3

And also this..
No bad cameras
Hi Rayyan
The X-T3 has better colours than the X-T2, so not a bad choise. I will continue to have the X-T3.
Best Thorkil

rayyan

Got a phone call from Nikon dealer...

' why don't you try the camera? Take it outside, here is another lens etc..' ' And we throw in the adapter '.

Took it out for quick clicks..tempting. ' I can't afford it ', I said.

Think some more, he told me.

Now I am uncertain!!

But Fuji would be an excuse to visit Dubai!!

fotoism

Hi Rayyan
The X-T3 has better colours than the X-T2, so not a bad choise. I will continue to have the X-T3.
Best Thorkil
Just wondering: Did you shoot jpeg and find the colour better SOOC using film simulations? Or did you shoot RAW and find it easier to achieve better colour in post? Thanks.

Thorkil

' why don't you try the camera? Take it outside, here is another lens etc..' ' And we throw in the adapter '.

Now I am uncertain!!

then its a matter of where do you go for to your Nikon dealer? :)
Our problem is that we don't ever settle down, I can't advise you to buy both, even I did, and perhaps I shouldn't have done so.
The T3 is a bit smaller than a Z but you don't get the secure feeling as the Z provide you with.
T3 might be a bit more charming, lenses are a bit more handy to view at, but are light on the Z's.
At the end the Z is 35% more mature, 25% more easy, 50% more secure and straight forward and simple, but 7,5% more dull.... :), so..... :)

Shashin

Now I am uncertain!!

But didn't you say the X-H1 does not give you as much pleasure as the X-T2 or X Pro2? Is the Nikon closer to the X-H1 or the X-T2? I guess if this were my choice, I would ask what the Z solves the others can't? What are the benefits of two systems or are you going to replace your Fujis? If it will replace your Fuji, are the Nikon lenses as small and light?

Personally, I look at my cameras simply on what makes me happy. I have two systems, Pentax 645D and Fuji X Pro2. Are there technically better systems out there? Yes. Will those result in meaningfully better images? No. For better or worse, I am the am the main factor in whether my photography is good. The technology in my cameras aren't a limit.

Disclaimer: I really hate shopping for gear, so I am not really someone that is going to enable a camera buying habit. I take my point of view from American corporate wisdom, as Walmart says, "Save more, Live better" (although I am pretty sure that is not what they really meant ;) ).

biglouis

Fuji X-T3

And also this..

No bad cameras
I really liked the Z6 and Z7 when I tried them at my local camera shop. The form factor is very nice indeed and as far as I could tell the AF - which most pundits complain about - was just fine. I was testing it with a 200-500 as a birding rig and even using the adaptor I couldn't detect lag in the AF. BUT I bought the X-T3+100-400 (and switched from Panasonic at the same time). Why? I feel the X-T3 is a mature 3rd generation product whereas the Z6/7 are first generation and that means you will be behind the curve. Now, if Nikon ever bring out a Z5 (e.g. D500 mirrorless replacement) that might be very tempting indeed.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

biglouis

I didn't really buy the X-T3 as a walk-around camera but as a fallback for my other system I bought it with the 18-55. It's a pretty good lens. This is Millenium Mills, an old and now derelict flour mill on Royal Victoria Dock in East London (you will have seen it as a location in numerous BBC dramas and British made films). I noticed that the City Airport, built on a wharf on the Royal Docks lined up nicely and I waited and photographed as planes took off. The X-T3 in continuous mode, with WA af worked flawlessly.

Sapphie

Just wondering: Did you shoot jpeg and find the colour better SOOC using film simulations? Or did you shoot RAW and find it easier to achieve better colour in post? Thanks.
Phil

I won't speak for Thorkil - it would be interesting to get his further details on this comment but one of the things I am seeing is that the T3 images (JPG and RAW) are no longer overly weighted towards the black end of the histogram. My X-Pro 2 photos and many I see on fora from XP2, T2 and X100F are overly contrasty with the blacks stacking up too quickly. I was often unable to get a really satisfactory XP2 image even with lots of exposure compensation or shadow increases.

If you are a subscriber to Sean Reid's excellent review site, it is worth reading his X-T3 review. One of his comments is how good the metering is in this camera. I agree - I have only had the camera for a week but in both contrasty and flat conditions, the metering is almost always spot on. Somehow it's more than just about protecting the highlights though. I do believe that Fuji are using different tone curves or something as that dense over-saturated look from XP2 seems to be no more.

The colours do also seem to be very natural. I am even thinking that the images have more of a look similar to those from the original X-Pro1, which for some people is one of the better Fuji 'looks'.

Another feature that doesn't much press is the 'sports finder' mode. This shows a frameline covering about 80% of the field of view. The benefit is that you can see beyond the crop rectangle, sort of similar to you'd get on an X-Pro, only with the T3, within the EVF. If this feature is used then the images are also cropped accordingly. It increases the effective field of view by another 1.25x. So, if I have my 18mm lens attached and switch to sports finder mode, I get pictures that are cropped as if my lens were a 23mm. This sounds like a way to get close to how the Leica Q behaves, albeit with only the one crop option for Fuji!!

This also works if you switch to 16x9 or 1:1 aspect ratio. The resulting picture dimensions are almost exactly the same as full size X-Pro 1 files.

Lee

rayyan

One of the Fuji issues down here, no doubt.
Nikon is a 10 minutes drive!
Advantage Nikon.
Best.

p.s Ayesha went to spend a few days in Kiev last night. She took her fav camera..X-T1 with the lovely 18-55!!

then its a matter of where do you go for to your Nikon dealer? :)

so..... :)

Last edited:

rayyan

Will, a very pertinent question you ask and one that I am truly grappling with.
To be honest, maybe this was all brought about by my Df going sick!

The X-H1 does not give me as much pleasure as the X Pro2. The Nikon is closer to the Df.
The Z does not solve any issues, that the others have. On the contrary, it is first generation.

I do not want to keep 2 systems. It just happened.
But I continue to have the nagging feeling about Fuji X-trans and foliage. I do not worry about this with my Nikon.

But a very important consideration for me is also the tilt and swivel LCD screen. I just cannot use the X-Pro2 nor the Df low down...at least not with aching ease. The X-H1 does have it.
And I have a tall and a traveler tripod. But I have to be near the ground sometimes.

I don't want to shop for new gear. Least coz money is in short supply.

Month of May is fasting season. I have spread out medical tests and appointments till mid April.
Gives me time to slow down and give this more thought.

Thanks and best wishes.

But didn't you say the X-H1 does not give you as much pleasure as the X-T2 or X Pro2? Is the Nikon closer to the X-H1 or the X-T2? I guess if this were my choice, I would ask what the Z solves the others can't? What are the benefits of two systems or are you going to replace your Fujis? If it will replace your Fuji, are the Nikon lenses as small and light?

Personally, I look at my cameras simply on what makes me happy. I have two systems, Pentax 645D and Fuji X Pro2. Are there technically better systems out there? Yes. Will those result in meaningfully better images? No. For better or worse, I am the am the main factor in whether my photography is good. The technology in my cameras aren't a limit.

Disclaimer: I really hate shopping for gear, so I am not really someone that is going to enable a camera buying habit. I take my point of view from American corporate wisdom, as Walmart says, "Save more, Live better" (although I am pretty sure that is not what they really meant ;) ).

rayyan

Louis, a very important consideration that you mention. Very important.

Take care.
I really liked the Z6 and Z7 when I tried them at my local camera shop.

BUT I bought the X-T3+100-400 (and switched from Panasonic at the same time). Why? I feel the X-T3 is a mature 3rd generation product whereas the Z6/7 are first generation and that means you will be behind the curve. Now, if Nikon ever bring out a Z5 (e.g. D500 mirrorless replacement) that might be very tempting indeed.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Thorkil

Z7 compared to X-T2 and X-T3 solves my problem feeling insecure whether I'm hitting the right spot specially metering-wise, auto-iso-wise. The Z7 gives me sort of the same feeling as the D3 gave me, hitting the right spot every time, it’s very easy to handle in setting, it’s very secure, it hasn’t got all the small bookkeeper issues pointed out by some reviewers desperate looking and digging after them - not to me. To me it might instead be an issue of dull internet reviewers and their way to draw attention to otherwise dull websites. In my mind the Z7 could as well be a fourth generation, so I'm happy with my decision of no-waiting. Nikon has developed it to the level other seems to reach after four generations, but that’s just my subjective feeling. And at Dpreview it seems that they couldn't agree with one another where to place the Z7, and one editor seemed to place it as one of the absolute best cameras at all. The only issue I'm aware of, for my part, is the AF in rather low light, but again, single point on, and just finding some contrastlines, and it’s not a problem (and perhaps things will change together with the soon upcoming firmware update with face/eye-detection). And having the most stable card in the world, I don’t bother with one card. I'm not a pro, I do no weddings though, where the psycological way of feeling secure, might be important, while upper class-people always can afford good lawyers, I guess :shocked:.
Still the X-T2/3 is a bit more charming in size and appearance, where the Z might feel a tiny bit more proff.-tool-dull-like, but still in a handy and friendly way, if you stay with f1.8 primes and f4 zooms, so...(and if you still got a lot of FX-lenses, once in a while you will be happy putting them on, even when the adapter add to size)
The specific amount of better handling of contrast and colours at the X-T3 compared with the X-T2 is subjective, but still a strong feeling to me, but I became uncertain of the level in raw compared with jpg's, so I would like to test it out one day.
(PS. but I have handled the Z7 more than the X-T3, so I should better give the X-T3 some more experience..and still it is a keeper to me, both)

Last edited: