The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji XT-3

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Z7 compared to X-T2 and X-T3 solves my problem feeling insecure whether I'm hitting the right spot specially metering-wise, auto-iso-wise. The Z7 gives me sort of the same feeling as the D3 gave me, hitting the right spot every time, it’s very easy to handle in setting, it’s very secure, it hasn’t got all the small bookkeeper issues pointed out by some reviewers desperate looking and digging after them - not to me. To me it might instead be an issue of dull internet reviewers and their way to draw attention to otherwise dull websites. In my mind the Z7 could as well be a fourth generation, so I'm happy with my decision of no-waiting. Nikon has developed it to the level other seems to reach after four generations, but that’s just my subjective feeling. And at Dpreview it seems that they couldn't agree with one another where to place the Z7, and one editor seemed to place it as one of the absolute best cameras at all. The only issue I'm aware of, for my part, is the AF in rather low light, but again, single point on, and just finding some contrastlines, and it’s not a problem (and perhaps things will change together with the soon upcoming firmware update with face/eye-detection). And having the most stable card in the world, I don’t bother with one card. I'm not a pro, I do no weddings though, where the psycological way of feeling secure, might be important, while upper class-people always can afford good lawyers, I guess :shocked:.
Still the X-T2/3 is a bit more charming in size and appearance, where the Z might feel a tiny bit more proff.-tool-dull-like, but still in a handy and friendly way, if you stay with f1.8 primes and f4 zooms, so...(and if you still got a lot of FX-lenses, once in a while you will be happy putting them on, even when the adapter add to size)
The specific amount of better handling of contrast and colours at the X-T3 compared with the X-T2 is subjective, but still a strong feeling to me, but I became uncertain of the level in raw compared with jpg's, so I would like to test it out one day.
(PS. but I have handled the Z7 more than the X-T3, so I should better give the X-T3 some more experience..and still it is a keeper to me, both)
The Z7 feels very nicely in hand, actually miles above the X-T3, as it has a real grip, which the X-T3 still lacks. Having said that the IQ of stills and also 4k video are miles above in the X-T3 compared to the Z7. Maybe AF in the Z7 will come close after the FW update, but who knows.

I am in a bit of dilemma, as I am still fully in m43 with the EM1.2 and this camera still amazes me. I cannot get friends with the concept of the EM1X, although it for sure has the best AF of all (also Fuji and Nikon), but is far too big for my taste and has far to inferior EVF.

So I might add a X-T3 for now to my m43 gear or otherwise sell all and get fully back into Nikon with the Z7. Not sure yet -----

Thorkil

The Z7 feels very nicely in hand, actually miles above the X-T3, as it has a real grip, which the X-T3 still lacks. Having said that the IQ of stills and also 4k video are miles above in the X-T3 compared to the Z7. Maybe AF in the Z7 will come close after the FW update, but who knows.

I am in a bit of dilemma, as I am still fully in m43 with the EM1.2 and this camera still amazes me. I cannot get friends with the concept of the EM1X, although it for sure has the best AF of all (also Fuji and Nikon), but is far too big for my taste and has far to inferior EVF.

So I might add a X-T3 for now to my m43 gear or otherwise sell all and get fully back into Nikon with the Z7. Not sure yet -----
hhhmmmm..Peter :eek:, my intuation tells me its the other way round, but I guess its only an intuation, while I havn't compared them head to head, even though it only will be nearest possible, by same object, perhaps the 18-55 against the 24-70S, same setting, but then again C1 haven't supported the 24-70S(as neither the 35/1.8S nor 50/1.8S) yet in raw, so it would not be fair until later when they do, but the challenge would be tempting interesting to do, for me too.. :)

biglouis

I continue to be delighted with the output of the X-T3. Although the speed of the AF is not much different to my G9 once locked on the AF is far better. And the higher iso output is usable. These were taken under not very good conditions and mostly the camera was choosing iso3200 as I shot in shutter priority mode with auto-iso set.

trioderob

Guys

if you don't have the 35 f1.4 lens be sure to look on line at images.

its one of the oldest lens that Fuji made for the system but the rendering is amazing

its a "must have" for the system

biglouis

Sparrowhawks, mating: iso2000 400mm f5.6 1/640 - The Fuji X-T3 continues to deliver results which I could not achieve before. This was obviously a split second opportunity, in a shaded wood but the AF locked on instantly and even though the autoiso kicked up into high gear the noise was very controllable in post. I also suspect the OIS on the lens kept the shot sharp.

biglouis

I continue to plough a lonely furrow in this thread without anyone else contributing but I am grateful for people who look, like, thank and comment. I had hoped other Fuji X-T3 owners might throw in their photos and experiences.

Today I took delivery of the XF 10-20/4 and the XF 55-200 zooms. Both are for architectural work. I had reasonable expectations of what they would provide me with. I doubt I will ever use them at anything other than f5.6-f8. The 10mm wide end (15mm equiv in 35mm terms) will probably be rarely used. I suspect I will use the 14-20 more and in fact it may even make my 18-55mm redundant. I can see I am more likely to carry the 10-20 and 55-200 as I rarely use more than 28mm for architecture and I then need telephoto range, e.g. 100-200 for zooming in on architectural features. In any case all three lens and the camera body and the battery grip are so light I'll probably take all three with me unless I am severely limited in some way.

Here are some samples.

55-200: I am very impressed with the IQ of this lens. At f8 it is very sharp at 200mm and at the same time if I come back to f7.1 I get beautiful bokeh. I don't think I've owned a zoom other than the Fuji XF 100-400 which is actually this good at the long end. Normally, mid-price consumer zooms like this get weaker at the long end in my experience.

'My Cat' f8 200mm iso160 1/250

100% crop showing how sharp the lens is:

'Alium Bud' f7.1 200mm iso160 1/320

10-20: I'm less impressed with the IQ of this lens. Wide open I think it lacks character. The actual drama is in the field of view and not in the rendering of the image. Even stopped down it seems a tad soft compared to the 55-200 and I can definitely see diffraction softening the image further at f11 and above. This is no problem for me as I rarely shoot above f8 for most architecture/buildings. Wide open I had to do quite a bit of post processing to increase contrast and general 'oomph' of the image (unlike the 55-200 which required almost no pp).

'Elephant House' f8 10mm iso160 1/125

I find that closing the fov down to 14mm (21mm equivalent) the lens character seems to change and also it sharpens up substantially (presumably because you are reducing the area of the glass to the central and sharpest part of the lens).

'My cat, again' f8 15mm iso160 1/125

You can see at 100% that the lens is very sharp in the centre.

Of course, the IQ with an UWA while important is not as important as the ability to be very creative with the wide angle and depth of field and that can forgive a multitude of sins in a lens like this.
'My cats, the neighbours cat and a London red bus' f13 13.8mm iso800 1/250

Anyway, I hope this has be informative and enjoyable to look at.

LouisB

Shashin

I continue to plough a lonely furrow in this thread without anyone else contributing but I am grateful for people who look, like, thank and comment. I had hoped other Fuji X-T3 owners might throw in their photos and experiences.
Louis, as an X Pro2 owner, I understand...

biglouis

Louis, as an X Pro2 owner, I understand...
I would have expected Fuji to be more popular that it appears to be. There is a good following for the GFX50S/R but I expected to find more enthusiasts than there appear here in the Fuji camera section. We must be a select lot!

LouisB

Knorp

Threads for specific models are fine, if that model is f.i. just announced or released, but only last till the next model.
Why not post in the specific brand thread instead ?

just my two guilders ... :rolleyes:

pegelli

That's what happened on the Sony forum, everything moved into one thread. Still not the most active but at least one place to go look, like and comment.

I would love to post in the Fuji forums, but since I am the limit to my photographs and not my equipment it doesn't make sense to add another system to my arsenal. I already have FF and APS-C from Sony and recently added Olympus M4/3 (a gift from someone who didn't use it anymore) so I'm done hoarding equipment and concentrate on my skills and experience to make more interesting photographs, and I feel I still have a long way to go.

AlanS

There is a "Fun with Fuji X" that was started to amalgamate all the seperate threads into one some time ago for this very reason. However as newer models arrived, people insisted on starting specific model threads. I got really frustrated when I had my Fuji's as the original thread then slowly died and so did the new ones. The "Fun with Medium format" works well as everybody, no matter what the make or model, posts in one place! (Sorry, rant over)!

biglouis

There is a "Fun with Fuji X" that was started to amalgamate all the seperate threads into one some time ago for this very reason. However as newer models arrived, people insisted on starting specific model threads. I got really frustrated when I had my Fuji's as the original thread then slowly died and so did the new ones. The "Fun with Medium format" works well as everybody, no matter what the make or model, posts in one place! (Sorry, rant over)!
Personally, I think the Mount Fuji Active is probably the best thread to consolidate on and in future I think I'll post there, as there is already someone posting with the XF10.

LouisB

Shashin

Maybe just ask the mods to merge the Fuji threads. It is a little confusing. On one hand, I can see the attraction of having model or generation specific threads and I am happy to contribute. On the other, one Fuji thread is fun too. Or two threads, one for X series cameras, the other for GFX. I am pretty sure Fuji is not looking for a new product line.

Did someone actually buy an XF10 after the pasting DPreview gave it?

:grin:

:toocool:

:ROTFL:

Thorkil

..yes, there are not that much crowded with Fuji-pictures, so I'm in too for having one commen thread for all Fuji-pictures..
so I think either we should all join into the Mount Fuji Active or create a new thread "Fun with Fuji Cameras", just like in the Sony thread, as long as we all join in
and hope that this will unite all the Fuji-force... :), ..while it ought to be..

Knorp

IMHO we should keep Fuji X and GFX gear and images in separate threads. :grin:
I completely agree! Otherwise you always need to scan through images that could be of no potential interest except for the artistic sake.
FCOL - you guys have opposite intentions for the same preference ... 🤨

:facesmack: :angry: :banghead:

FTSOI - I think I'll start my very own private thread ... :toocool: :p :loco: