The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon EF adapter for Fuji GFX 50S

felix5616

other than manufactures how do the following Canon EF to Fuji GFX 50S adapters differ, TechArt Pro and Cambo EF to Fuji GFX?

pesto

other than manufactures how do the following Canon EF to Fuji GFX 50S adapters differ, TechArt Pro and Cambo EF to Fuji GFX?
I can not say how they differ but cam attest to my Techart adapter working flawlessly with the Canon 24mm TSE and 400mm lenses.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Techart works seamlessly with lens controls on the GFX. The Cambo adapter requires setting aperture via the small dial on the side vs in camera.

I have the Techart and it has worked well for me with TSE lenses and 100-400 IS II. I have the similar Cambo EF adapter for my Actus DB and it works fine but you do have to use the tiny aperture dial manually.

Frederic

Techart works seamlessly with lens controls on the GFX. The Cambo adapter requires setting aperture via the small dial on the side vs in camera.

I have the Techart and it has worked well for me with TSE lenses and 100-400 IS II. I have the similar Cambo EF adapter for my Actus DB and it works fine but you do have to use the tiny aperture dial manually.
Graham,

What's your experience with the 100-400 II on the GFX ? Do you get usable coverage beyond the 35mm crop ?

Thanks
Frederic

GrahamWelland

Graham,

What's your experience with the 100-400 II on the GFX ? Do you get usable coverage beyond the 35mm crop ?

Thanks
Frederic
Generally great coverage. Beyond I think 250mm it would vignette but that was ok as I just cropped. The main thing was getting the composition I wanted.

I can can send you some raws if interested prior to crop. I can shoot new files as I sold the zoom when Fuji produced the 250mm & TC.

Grayhand

A small hijacking of this thread...

My interest in this is the possibility to mount wide angle lenses in Canon mount to the GFX(r).
I have a Hartblei 35 mm in Canon mount that I have an adapter for. So I am set for Tilt/Shift.

But my main interest is something like a 21mm or wider manual lens and large aperature if possible.

I am not interested in Canons wide Tilt/Shift lens, mostly for night skies and wide landscape.
Or Leica M-mount. Any Voightlander?

I have an adapter on its way for my XPan lenses, so the 90mm will be interesting to test.

Long lenses seems to be no problem, but I cant find any info about wide!

Ray

Frederic

Generally great coverage. Beyond I think 250mm it would vignette but that was ok as I just cropped. The main thing was getting the composition I wanted.

I can can send you some raws if interested prior to crop. I can shoot new files as I sold the zoom when Fuji produced the 250mm & TC.
Thanks Graham, good to know one can expect a bit more coverage with the Canon.

k-hawinkler

Does the adapter rely on the AF mechanism built into the lens?
Or can the adapter AF a manual only focus EF lens?

GrahamWelland

Does the adapter rely on the AF mechanism built into the lens?
Or can the adapter AF a manual only focus EF lens?
Which adapter?

The cambo only stops down the aperture. The AF adapters use the lens AF mechanism. For manual focus EF lenses you’d still have to manually focus.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Which adapter?

The cambo only stops down the exposure. The AF adapters use the lens AF mechanism. For manual focus EF lenses you’d still have to manually focus.
Thanks Graham. I was referring to the TechArt Pro. :salute:
So that’s very different than the TechArt Pro (TAP) LM-EA7 for Sony.

Kipon are the best fit and lens to camera communication and for $274 in eBay.
I had both the autofocus and the shift adapter, now just keeping the shift adapter for my work.
I'm using 2 adapters at the same time, the nikon G to canon and the Kipon shift with the 14-24mm 2.8. It cover very well at 17mm with +-3mm shift.
The quality is amazing!
I tryied the 11-24 Canon that I also own but prefer the Nikon as best corrected for architecture. Less chomatic aberrations. I find the 11-24 to have some sort of mustache abberations in the strait lines when they are closer to the camera.
BTW I'm witht he 50R.

free1000

Kipon are the best fit and lens to camera communication and for $274 in eBay.
I had both the autofocus and the shift adapter, now just keeping the shift adapter for my work.
I'm using 2 adapters at the same time, the nikon G to canon and the Kipon shift with the 14-24mm 2.8. It cover very well at 17mm with +-3mm shift.
The quality is amazing!
I tryied the 11-24 Canon that I also own but prefer the Nikon as best corrected for architecture. Less chomatic aberrations. I find the 11-24 to have some sort of mustache abberations in the strait lines when they are closer to the camera.
BTW I'm witht he 50R.
Antonio, how are you liking this for your architectural commissions? I checked out the nice work on your website and wonder if any or all is shot with the Fuji GFX 50R.

I don’t quite understand your post, are you using the manual adapters or the ones which can transmit Exif and aperture control? Does this work with two adapters stacked?

Do you have a link to the Kipon shift adapter you are using? There are quite a lot of them.

free1000

How would you do that?

I have a shift adapter, but it doesn't have any electronic contacts. :cry:

Joel
Yep, I thought he probably didn't mean they were used in a stack at the same time but just wanted to check. I've wondered if *any* adapters could be stacked and transmit exif data as they can be flaky enough on their own (unless they are from the camera manufacturer where they might be better). I wondered because I have the Metabones IV from Sony to Canon and the Commlite E-mount to Nikon, so I've if I could stack a G or Nikon Z mount to E mount and use two adapters stacked. I decided this would only be asking for disaster!

JoelM

Yep, I thought he probably didn't mean they were used in a stack at the same time but just wanted to check. I've wondered if *any* adapters could be stacked and transmit exif data as they can be flaky enough on their own (unless they are from the camera manufacturer where they might be better). I wondered because I have the Metabones IV from Sony to Canon and the Commlite E-mount to Nikon, so I've if I could stack a G or Nikon Z mount to E mount and use two adapters stacked. I decided this would only be asking for disaster!
I'm thinking that the sensor plane is too far away at this point, but might work like an extension tube. Infinity focus might be lost. If you've got the stuff, might be fun to try it.

Joel

free1000

Just to say, I've had a chance to test the Kipon GFX-EF AF adapter and the AF is good with a Canon 40mm 2.8 pancake lens. (https://www.adorama.com/kagfxcefaf.html)

More importantly, I've shot my Canon TS-E 24 on an architectural subject and the adapter is clearly well built, as the images are focused correctly into the corners. I'm pretty blown away with how good the TS-E is on the GFX 50R from the evidence of this initial set of images.

scho

Just to say, I've had a chance to test the Kipon GFX-EF AF adapter and the AF is good with a Canon 40mm 2.8 pancake lens. (https://www.adorama.com/kagfxcefaf.html)

More importantly, I've shot my Canon TS-E 24 on an architectural subject and the adapter is clearly well built, as the images are focused correctly into the corners. I'm pretty blown away with how good the TS-E is on the GFX 50R from the evidence of this initial set of images.
Do you have any images online taken with the GFX and Canon TSE 24? I tried searching on Flickr but could not find any. How much shift is possible before vignetting comes in?

free1000

Do you have any images online taken with the GFX and Canon TSE 24? I tried searching on Flickr but could not find any. How much shift is possible before vignetting comes in?
No I don't have an online image sharing account or the time to curate stuff on it at the moment. I have taken some shots and the vignetting is not so much an issue as softness in the corners when shifted. From my point of view such softening/smearing is not a massive issue for architectural work and the quality is not that different than I used to get in the bad old days of 5x4 with my Schneider Symmar 72XL on film.

There is a good thread with the numbers you need on this forum here

The 17th May post by chrismuc has the shift numbers for the 24, its incredibly useful and the thread has some good examples.

scho

I tried to access the Kipon website today for a firmware update but received this message:

"The website is currently inaccessible...
The website has not obtained an ICP filing according to the law of the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology of the People's Republic of China"

Also, what is the procedure for updating the firmware (using a Mac) for the EF-GFX adapter? I tried mounting the adapter with a USB cable but the adapter does not show up on my Mac as a drive.