The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photokina 2018: are you ready ?

Thorkil

When I go to the Comparometer:
https://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
and put in the GFX-50R and then the Nikon Z7, and in both go down to the bottle-pillow-pictures at iso 400 and click once, you get the pictures at 100% -
I'm sorry to admit there is a world of difference from the 50R to the Z7. The 50R is just that much sharper (even though its just jpegs and lenses are not stated) and well defined and much more pronounced 3-D effect - I'm sorry to admit.
Even compared to the D850, the GFX-50R shines clearly and strong.
But the quality-control of GFX-lenses seems to be lacking, and I'm not that good at keeping on complaining. That's a huge problem.
But will it be useful for me in daily life compared to a modest Z6? Or perhaps just a X-T3 (with the new sensor and processor which perhaps is less Fuji-harsh now ?). I do have my doubts. But still just with a good quality 23mm it could serve as a digital SWC Hassy
And the price of the house is equal to a Z7 with adapter and a 24-70...
hhmmmm....

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, I would never again go MFD - never!!!

It is so much larger when taking into account lenses, so much less flexible (again lenses, but definitely also AF) and so much more expensive. I would anytime choose a Z7 over a GX5R or X1D.

PeterA

Well, I would never again go MFD - never!!!

It is so much larger when taking into account lenses, so much less flexible (again lenses, but definitely also AF) and so much more expensive. I would anytime choose a Z7 over a GX5R or X1D.
I'll be able to get a 46megapixel crop in true pano mode out of 100 megapixels and print it large. This is the only reason to shoot MF - cropping power and printing large at very very high quality. For internet posting I suggest an Iphone is more than adequate.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'll be able to get a 46megapixel crop in true pano mode out of 100 megapixels and print it large. This is the only reason to shoot MF - cropping power and printing large at very very high quality. For internet posting I suggest an Iphone is more than adequate.
There is a wide range of use cases between the two extreme ends you mention.

And for that serious cameras are the way to go - I assume it will be decades before smartphones will be able to enter that territory. :ROTFL:

PeterA

There is a wide range of use cases between the two extreme ends you mention.

And for that serious cameras are the way to go - I assume it will be decades before smartphones will be able to enter that territory. :ROTFL:
Actually some of the best photographers I know use an Iphone for a lot of their work . I find your use of the word 'serious' in describing a camera to be most amusing - anthropomorphising a tool is a sign of fetishism _ I call my Iphone Sally and kiss her good night every night . Am I not taking her seriously enough?

V

Vivek

Seriousness would depend on whether or not you do but where you do.. :p

f6cvalkyrie

Actually some of the best photographers I know use an Iphone for a lot of their work . I find your use of the word 'serious' in describing a camera to be most amusing - anthropomorphising a tool is a sign of fetishism _ I call my Iphone Sally and kiss her good night every night . Am I not taking her seriously enough?
Seriously, you shouldn't kiss Sally good night, unless you're married to her !

ptomsu

Workshop Member
All the best ;):ROTFL::thumbup:

Thorkil

for my part, when I now have landed on the ground, I might just stick to my Z6-plan instead of the 50R.
And if anyone got the X-T3 please tell me if the new sensor and raw-treatment have become less "Fuji-like" (less harsh) more gentle.
If so the X-T3 could be a welcome option, later on..

iiiNelson

for my part, when I now have landed on the ground, I might just stick to my Z6-plan instead of the 50R.
And if anyone got the X-T3 please tell me if the new sensor and raw-treatment have become less "Fuji-like" (less harsh) more gentle.
If so the X-T3 could be a welcome option, later on..
With the XT3 you can adjust the look of the output to your liking within reason. My suggestion would be to rent one or go to a store and test it out for yourself. One person’s acceptable is another person’s deal breaker.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
With the XT3 you can adjust the look of the output to your liking within reason. My suggestion would be to rent one or go to a store and test it out for yourself. One person’s acceptable is another person’s deal breaker.
Well, but the X-T3 is still APSC and IMHO anything smaller than FF is no longer adequate since the introduction of the latest FF mirrorless creations ;)

Well, but the X-T3 is still APSC and IMHO anything smaller than FF is no longer adequate since the introduction of the latest FF mirrorless creations ;)
How does the introduction of new cameras affect the adequacy of inadequacy of a certain sensor size? The APS-C sensor is just as adequate or inadequate as it was before the introduction of the new Canon/Nikon/Panasonic FF cameras.

Last edited: