The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photokina 2018: are you ready ?

iiiNelson

Well, but the X-T3 is still APSC and IMHO anything smaller than FF is no longer adequate since the introduction of the latest FF mirrorless creations ;)
Well I disagree... APS-C is “good enough” for most stuff that doesn’t require 40+ megapixels like family snapshots and FF is maybe the best all around balance of capability and IQ. Now if the plan is to add a larger sensor I think APS-C and cropped Medium format makes a lot of sense for many provided they can afford it. If not then FF is a great option but high end Micro 4/3 and APS-C Cameras are mostly about the same size as FF cameras now.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well I disagree... APS-C is “good enough” for most stuff that doesn’t require 40+ megapixels like family snapshots and FF is maybe the best all around balance of capability and IQ. Now if the plan is to add a larger sensor I think APS-C and cropped Medium format makes a lot of sense for many provided they can afford it. If not then FF is a great option but high end Micro 4/3 and APS-C Cameras are mostly about the same size as FF cameras now.
It is not that much about MP count but rather about IQ (less noise at higher ISO) and straight forward usability of focal length as I am (was) used to throughout my whole photographic life - a 35 starts a 35, a 85 a 85, etc. - I think you get the point.

If I look for example at the new Nikon Z then it is very comparable in size to my EM1.2, but hey, it has a FF sensor! And the good lenses from Olympus (PRO) as well as from Panasonic are also big. Or take the G9 - almost same size as the Z7.

I shot the X-T2 for many years and loved it but then there was only Sony mirrorless FF and I did not get friends with it. But now there are many options and at least FOR MY TASTE AND WHAT I LIKE AND PREFER FF mirrorless became much more attractive.

Thorkil

Its too late Bart, even though its looking tempting small and cheap, but still to prevent future banc-robbery I had to decide for ordering the Z7 (but they often even don't have cash available anymore or one have to wait about 15 minutes to get the safe open - even its perhaps a short waiting, I guess it might feel like a bit longer than waiting for the Z7 :grin:) - but aside, its also rather huge that 50R, ain't it?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Its too late Bart, even though its looking tempting small and cheap, but still to prevent future banc-robbery I had to decide for ordering the Z7 (but they often even don't have cash available anymore or one have to wait about 15 minutes to get the safe open - even its perhaps a short waiting, I guess it might feel like a bit longer than waiting for the Z7 :grin:) - but aside, its also rather huge that 50R, ain't it?
Wonderful decision!

I would always go with the Z7 instead of one of these Fuji MFD's!

Knorp

Well Thorkil, what can I say ? The 50R is undoubtedly and by far the largest mirrorless digital rangefinder-style brick around.
The Z7 seems to be the midget though ... :p

Screenshot 2018-10-01 at 15.51.19.jpg