The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

PeterA

I use larger megapixel cameras for their cropability more than anything else - so my lens kit is designed to work well in my favoured 3:1 crop with different focal lengths delivering different levels of compression and 'look' in that crop factor - and I get a very useful 25MP file out of this crop from 50MP base chip. The 100MP will be a no brainer for me and my purposes in order to get a 50MP 3:1 file out of it.

The only lens I've bought so far that is likely to be used more on tripod than hand held is the 23mm - where I will not be as likely to use a 3:1 crop as often for the subject matter it is intended for.

I decided on the 110/2 over the 120 - only because of the extra stop for portrait use and when composed for slightly better roll off - I think the 120 is sharper than the 110/2 when shot wide open - but this is a very marginal observation - because quite frankly both lenses even wide open are, if anything, probably too sharp for portraits - the whole range of Fuji lenses are excellent with regards to sharpness and resolving power - since they are all designed to handle 100MP and as mentioned previously their flat field characteristics are optimised for using moving focus points rather than the focus and recompose caper that other manufacturers with their mirror boxes constrain users to.

I got the zoom thrown in with my camera for peanuts - and this lens is actually a revelation - consistently awesome at any focal length in my experience - the only 'issue' stopping it from being a perfect walk around lens - being its weight compared to the universally acknowledged 'best lens' currently - the 45MM.

I am not sure I would ever have use for the 250 and convertor - although again there is no doubt it too is a very special lens for those who have use for its focal length.

I think anyone who is looking at the R version in GFX should not hesitate in getting the 45MM as their start lens - very versatile walk around combination.

I really think large magaixel cameras do not require a huge collection of lenses in order to be able to compose and crop a target shot - being able to 'see' what you want to see via EVF crop and thus shooting for it - is a totally different experience and far superior to being constrained by what a full chip image looks like through a finder- ie being forced to see the whole chip's perspective. I think a lot of people who go into large megapixel shooting continue to think too much in 35mm terms when it comes to how lenses can actually be used with these larger chips.

the more I use the GFX and teh X series cameras - the less reason I see for me to have much use for 35mm format - eg the SL and M10 despite a boutique shop full of lens inventory can not match the amenity that an X and GFX combination provide - the SL much as i love it with 90-280 is a very very heavy piece of kit to lug around as good as the legendary 90-280 lens is - it may be swapped out for the 200/2 in X mount soon. As for the M10 - you wont find a bigger fanboy - but even this fanboy is preferring autofocus these days....

iiiNelson

I use larger megapixel cameras for their cropability more than anything else - so my lens kit is designed to work well in my favoured 3:1 crop with different focal lengths delivering different levels of compression and 'look' in that crop factor - and I get a very useful 25MP file out of this crop from 50MP base chip. The 100MP will be a no brainer for me and my purposes in order to get a 50MP 3:1 file out of it.

The only lens I've bought so far that is likely to be used more on tripod than hand held is the 23mm - where I will not be as likely to use a 3:1 crop as often for the subject matter it is intended for.

I decided on the 110/2 over the 120 - only because of the extra stop for portrait use and when composed for slightly better roll off - I think the 120 is sharper than the 110/2 when shot wide open - but this is a very marginal observation - because quite frankly both lenses even wide open are, if anything, probably too sharp for portraits - the whole range of Fuji lenses are excellent with regards to sharpness and resolving power - since they are all designed to handle 100MP and as mentioned previously their flat field characteristics are optimised for using moving focus points rather than the focus and recompose caper that other manufacturers with their mirror boxes constrain users to.

I got the zoom thrown in with my camera for peanuts - and this lens is actually a revelation - consistently awesome at any focal length in my experience - the only 'issue' stopping it from being a perfect walk around lens - being its weight compared to the universally acknowledged 'best lens' currently - the 45MM.

I am not sure I would ever have use for the 250 and convertor - although again there is no doubt it too is a very special lens for those who have use for its focal length.

I think anyone who is looking at the R version in GFX should not hesitate in getting the 45MM as their start lens - very versatile walk around combination.

I really think large magaixel cameras do not require a huge collection of lenses in order to be able to compose and crop a target shot - being able to 'see' what you want to see via EVF crop and thus shooting for it - is a totally different experience and far superior to being constrained by what a full chip image looks like through a finder- ie being forced to see the whole chip's perspective. I think a lot of people who go into large megapixel shooting continue to think too much in 35mm terms when it comes to how lenses can actually be used with these larger chips.

the more I use the GFX and teh X series cameras - the less reason I see for me to have much use for 35mm format - eg the SL and M10 despite a boutique shop full of lens inventory can not match the amenity that an X and GFX combination provide - the SL much as i love it with 90-280 is a very very heavy piece of kit to lug around as good as the legendary 90-280 lens is - it may be swapped out for the 200/2 in X mount soon. As for the M10 - you wont find a bigger fanboy - but even this fanboy is preferring autofocus these days....
Now that Capture One support is a reality, if I ever fully left Sony then Fuji or Panasonic would likely be at the top of my list today. I think what Fuji is doing collectively is really strong.

k-hawinkler

I forgot about his testing. I read through quite a bit of it earlier this year.

I find his testing to provide very useful and technically objective data points but rarely do I come to a conclusion about how a lens will perform in actual pictures from his testing for the type of photos that I take. Even still the work he does adds something to the photo community and I’m glad he does the tedious work required for his tests if for no other reasons than to test manufacturer’s marketing claims.

Thanks Tre. I see Jim Kasson differently. He has an engineering background and worked for IBM. He seems genuinely interested in the technical aspects of photography and wants to understand how stuff works. I don't thing he is driven by manufacturer’s marketing claims.

k-hawinkler

Now that Capture One support is a reality, if I ever fully left Sony then Fuji or Panasonic would likely be at the top of my list today. I think what Fuji is doing collectively is really strong.
Capture One works great with the Fuji files.:thumbs:
That's what I am using. :grin:

iiiNelson

Capture One works great with the Fuji files.:thumbs:
That's what I am using. :grin:
Thata great to know and I used Capture 1 to process a few test files I took in store on the XH1... I liked the results with it and that was critical for me considering Fuji because I have no plans or desires to ever send Adobe my money ever again.

k-hawinkler

Thanks Bart. I read through Jim’s stuff and found this:
https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-50s/fujifill-gfx-50s-summary/, quote:

Fujifill GFX 50S — summaryApril 28, 2017 By JimK

Native Lenses. Very good (the 63) to superb (the 120 macro) image quality. I am not a focus-by-wire fan, however, in this or any other camera. The fact that the 63 doesn’t seem to be able to constantly hold the focus point even with the camera continuously on is a worry at best, and a random image-damager at worst. [Added later: I’ve now tested the 110/2 and the 23/4, and they are up to the high standards of the 120/4. The 110/2 is in some important ways a better lens than the Zeiss Otus 85/1.4.]

My impression is, based on his experience JimKasson highly recommends the 23/4, 110/2, and 120/4 Macro, the latter two being somewhat similar.

I don’t interpret his text above as a similarly strong endorsement of the 63/2.8.
Somewhere else he states he is not interested in zooms and is not testing the 32-64/4.
Jim is silent also on the 45/2.8 and 250/4.

Based on your stunning images Bart, I already got the 250/4 and 1.4 TC.
I also have the 23/4.

For me that raises two questions, what to do about the 32-64/4 and the 45/2.8.
Some folks think about the 45/2.8 as a walk around lens on a GFX.
Some think the 2019 release of the 50/3.5 is better suited for that.

Both, you Bart and Tre have experience with the 32-64/4 zoom.
What say you? :thumbup: Or :thumbdown:

PS: Jim’s April 1 fools joke:
https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/secret-behind-gfx-sharpness-with-native-lenses/

Last edited:

PeterA

If you are happy to use one sendsor size system - I can't see any reason to change from Sony - they are doing nothing wrong and a lot of things right. Fuji make it easy to try their apc format - lenses are quite reasonably priced if not cheap for what you get - so it is a no sweat experiment forr me.

PS Capture One is a real indicator of how highly Fuji is rated - and other consideration that really matters is lighting choices profoto support Fuji as does Godox - same cant b e said for Leica. I can HSS fuji no problemo.

k-hawinkler

Fall Colors

Fuji GFX 50S • 250mmF4 R LM OIS WR • ISO 800 • f/22 • 1/56 s • Handheld OIS=ON

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

47th Oppenheimer Memorial Lecture

Fuji GFX 50S • GF23mmF4 R LM WR • ISO 100 • f/5.6 • 1/180 s • Handheld

Thorkil

I'm using the general version of Capture One Pro and embarrassingly enough using only a fraction of its features ... :eek:
That 70MB JPEG was the full size version (8256x6192) for K-H, but otherwise I'm shooting SuperFine - Small 4000x3000 JPEGs.
Let me bother a bit more, Bart - so you can still take in the raw/RAF files through C1PRO11.3 version without problems?, without the Fuji-support (which perhaps "just" means the Fuji-factory's wishes to different basic file-correction, and lens-correction/-distortion I guess?).
Best

PeterA

Peter - a nice street-one - which aperture did you use, and speed?
Best
Hi there - according to C1 metadata; this happy snap was shot at: F8|1/160th|ISO 100 at a focal length of 37.6mm using zoom in camera Jpeg in Pano mode.. I'll post stats under pics in future -:)

Pete

PeterA

Hi Peter. Thank you while these info are very welcome :eek:
...and then the tiny question: your beach then, the 23 or the zoom? :toocool:
best thorkil
Hi Thorkil beach scene was : ISO 100 | f8 | 37.6mm |1/4000th sec - the zoom as I stated above is very excellent at all focal lengths...

the 23mm is still in box I'll make some shots during the week if we get some sun.